Well it finally happened (rear end blew)

97SVTStang

Established Member
Shit it finally happened tonight at the track, I blew the rear end in the Cobra. It didn't come unexpected though. The stock rear end held up pretty damn good IMO with a 100 shot, 4.10 gears, ET Streets, and 5,000 rpm hole shots more times than I can remember. O well you blow it up you build it up. Don't really know what broke yet but it is locked solid, no signs of damage to the outside (no dents on the cover that is) so I think the housing is still good, something with the carrier broke wont know untill tomorrow when I open her up. Time to upgrade the carrier and axles. Whats everyone using, throw me some company names.

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
I just bought an Eaton 31 spline diff with Moser 31 spline axles. Hopefully they will last me forever, I plan on driving it hard for now on! Wait, I already have been doing that :)

MrE-Man

Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
I just bought an Eaton 31 spline diff with Moser 31 spline axles. Hopefully they will last me forever, I plan on driving it hard for now on! Wait, I already have been doing that :)

The Eaton Posi w/ Moser 31 Splines seems to be a very good choice, however, w/ the kind of abuse you are giving your rear you might want to consider a full spool. All depends on how much of a daily driver the car is really.

97SVTStang

Established Member
URDONE - Yes it will pull the front wheel off about and 1" or 2", not much but it is my daily driver so I think thats pretty good. I have videos but I have no way to get them on the computer.

94CobraPace - Ya it does suck breaking at the track but thankfully my buddy has a shop right around the corner from the track so it wasn't that bad.

MrE-Man - Yes its my daily driver but I wont mind putting race style parts in her as long as its still safe to drive on the street. She already has a full race clutch. And if it makes noise I dont mind, I just turn the radio up.

MrE-Man

Established Member

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Since you drive it a lot don't put a spool in it. You will eat your tires up fast. Go with a locker of some sort that unlocks when you go around corners. With a spool you will alway drag you inside tires when turning. Spools are pretty much race only parts.

Nick

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I'm running an Eaton 31 spline with Superior Axles. No prblems at all.

Launching on nitrous and slicks shouldnt be a problem, but you are at a time when you can really beef up the rear end. I'd go with a Locker, detroit lockers are supposed to be pretty good. They make a little noise but it wont break easily

Alex

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by red96cobra
Since you drive it a lot don't put a spool in it. You will eat your tires up fast. Go with a locker of some sort that unlocks when you go around corners. With a spool you will alway drag you inside tires when turning. Spools are pretty much race only parts.

Nick

i think you have that backwards, i.e. if you're making a right turn, you'll either spin the inside wheel or drag the outside wheel, depending on which has more traction at the time...but still you're right, it'll be hell on tires on the street....

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by MrE-Man
The Eaton Posi w/ Moser 31 Splines seems to be a very good choice, however, w/ the kind of abuse you are giving your rear you might want to consider a full spool. All depends on how much of a daily driver the car is really.

My car is a DD. I was just saying that I havent been exactly easy on my stock OEM parts in the rear ie burnouts and what not.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i hear the Frpp posi units aren't bad if you repack the clutches. Plus, they are rebuildable for real cheap!

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I have the 31 spline moser axles and a Torsen T2 differential that is plain amazing. I had an Auburn Pro before the Torsen that was ok.

MrE-Man

Established Member
My disclaimer here is that I have never personally run a spool in my car (I know it's not generally good practice to give advice based on something one has no direct experience with), but I have seen a few guys on different boards who have very street-worthy cars with spools.

My best friend had an Auburn in his 96 and he didn't like it at all. Also, they're not supposed to be very good for someone who drag races.

97SVTStang

Established Member
In my 91 Turbo Eclipse (drag race only) I have the spider gears in the diff welded up so it acts like a spool and its a bitch to turn without breaking stuff. If the spool acts like that in the rear I dont want that for my daily driver.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
The spool acts just like that. I have driven one on the street and it just plain sucked. Go with a locker or a real good posi unit and you will be much happier

Nick

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well finally got it apart and found out what happened. Broke the driver side axle in to 2 peices and it did damage the carrier. Lucky there seems to be no damage to the case. Can't afford the stuff I want right now but thankfully I have a friend that has a Mustang shop and he let me borrow the parts I need to get her back on the road untill I can afford to get the upgraded parts. (I like to use cash, I hate credit) Most likely I am going to go with the Eaton locker 31 spline diff with Moser 31 spline axles.

I will let ya know what I go with when I get the cash. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread