Well...so much for that.

Jpjr

Established Member
Guys, if I can chime in for a second..

If you want (or don't want) my opinion, Ford took the Cobra in the sports car direction with the Cobra R and it was simply not worth the time and effort. The GT 500 is a tank, but its also easily produced and WILL sell. There are simply way too many baby boomers that would love to own a Harley but will listen to their wives and settle on a GT 500. They don't necessarily care that it's the fastest car at its price point. Look at Corvette drivers.. most of them never go over the speed limit.

Ford has built a car that they can 1) sell, and 2) sell for a nice profit. It's no longer the supreme value it once was, but chalk that up to economics. People will pay this much to own one no matter how fast or slow it is = home run for Ford.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Jpjr said:
Guys, if I can chime in for a second..

If you want (or don't want) my opinion, Ford took the Cobra in the sports car direction with the Cobra R and it was simply not worth the time and effort. The GT 500 is a tank,...

lets look at the 00r for a moment. this is a bare bones race car that is still street legal. the car still weighed over 3500lbs, over 200lbs heavier than a normal 00 mustang gt. the weight distrabution was still 56.5% front and 43.5% rear which was only .5% better than the heavy out of balance 03 mustang svt is. all this for a car that rips on the track. :burnout:

Jpjr said:
Ford has built a car that they can 1) sell, and 2) sell for a nice profit. It's no longer the supreme value it once was, but chalk that up to economics. People will pay this much to own one no matter how fast or slow it is = home run for Ford.

agreed it is a home for ford. it is also a home run for ford customers. with the gt500 being built for 3 or 4 years, at a pace of 8 to 10 thousand units per year all that want one will be able to find one at msrp or below. three cheers to ford!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :bowdown: :D

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I wouldn't get too hung-up on weight distribution.

I know they are AWD, but the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru STI are great handlers and have a horrible balance, like 60/40, even worse than a Mustang. Yet they can make g-force numbers and slalom times like a Corvette. They weigh about 3350lbs. The poor things just lack horsepower.

Just something to point out.

9756C

Users who are viewing this thread