Well...so much for that.

drmustang

Banned
Ford has obviously given themselves a hefty margin on these cars. 15-20 grand more than a GT is profoundly more than what the GT500 could be sold for. They have a huge cushion. Plenty of room for rebates in the event that the targeted audience does not consume the product at the original price point.

This is precisely what occured with the Terminators in the mid 30s. The market collapsed at that level. Invoice pricing coupled with thousands in factory rebates were required to sell a substantial portion of the total 03/04 Cobra production.

A potential buyer needs to determine if somewhat improved performance and the Shelby badging of a Ford production line unit justify a near $10,000 increase in asking price over the previous top shelf Mustang.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I paid $28.6k for my '03...brand new.
I'm sure we'll see similar discounts for these cars, regardless of whose name is on the back of them.
At mid-upper 30's, this car is a great deal.
S.

broeli

Established Member
drmustang said:
Ford has obviously given themselves a hefty margin on these cars. 15-20 grand more than a GT is profoundly more than what the GT500 could be sold for. They have a huge cushion. Plenty of room for rebates in the event that the targeted audience does not consume the product at the original price point.

This is precisely what occured with the Terminators in the mid 30s. The market collapsed at that level. Invoice pricing coupled with thousands in factory rebates were required to sell a substantial portion of the total 03/04 Cobra production.

A potential buyer needs to determine if somewhat improved performance and the Shelby badging of a Ford production line unit justify a near $10,000 increase in asking price over the previous top shelf Mustang.
That's another thing that pisses me off. Ford got VERY greedy with the Shelby. The r&d costs were very very minimal but the premium put on it wasn't. Originally they said it would be priced about the same as the 03/04's...then it kept increasing as they saw all the baby boomers excitement. I really think the last minute 500hp rating was yet another ploy to bring more hype so to try and justify the high cost.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
you guys are all using track times and drag times to measure the success of the car. thats just a small thing. we are such a minority of buyers when it comes to these cars. most will not race them or take them to the drag strip or do much more than a tune and muffler swap. they dont know the correlation of rwhp to rated hp, they just know that thier car has 100 more hp than the c6 and almost as much as the GT and rides like a lincoln ls.

BetterthanU

Banned
Jackie Chan said:
you guys are all using track times and drag times to measure the success of the car. thats just a small thing. we are such a minority of buyers when it comes to these cars. most will not race them or take them to the drag strip or do much more than a tune and muffler swap. they dont know the correlation of rwhp to rated hp, they just know that thier car has 100 more hp than the c6 and almost as much as the GT and rides like a lincoln ls.
:nono:

the people who don't track their car probably care even more about how it measures up to the other cars they're looking at, in the mag tests.....many, many novices, especially middle aged men (who are the target market here) use the mags when comparison shopping. Although the 500hp label probably attracts them, too

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
Jackie Chan said:

John, you are absolutely right about the effect of HP, weight, and performance stats. on how the car will be received by the general audience for this offering. There will be many GT500 buyers who could care less about curb wieght and 0-60 times etc. Every potential buyer is not as analytical as we tend to be as they have never payed attention to these parameters and have no real frame of reference for comparrison.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
BetterthanU said:
:nono: the 03/04 cobra was within 3-4 mph of the c5 Z in the 1/4 mile.....the new shelby will have to be running 121+ mph in the 1/4 to stay in that range, as the c6 Z runs 125-126 all day long, and has been driven as low as 11.2-11.3ish on stock tires. :nonono:

You are right about the MPH. I think on average though, a GT500 will be within .3-.5 in the 1/4. I know there are no real world drivers now, I said it in my first post I think.

I really can't wait until the end of July, that way we will have videos and numbers to back all this crap up... I'm already tired of reading speculations! haha

R1Lello

Established Member
Stevenbekah said:
After MUCH waiting...a HUGE amount of speculation on ALL of our parts as to 'what the GT 500 will do'...my decision is made.

Ain't NO way in hell I'm spending my hard earned money on this car.

WHAT a dissapointment...I mean REALLY!

We've been 'waiting and waiting' for SO long...we hear talks of 450HP...then we hear 475...and YEAH, we're like awesome it's got 475HP...

Then, at the last minute we hear 500HP!!! AMAZING!

At that point, the speculation was out for all of us...it's like "Okay, it's got 500HP, cool!"

But after all of these recent car reviews and tests...the car is A TRUE DISSAPOINTMENT!

They missed this one big time...I mean really...a Mustang GT is just a bit slower at the end of the day...depending on driver skills...they're pretty damn close in performance when you think about it...

HP isn't the culprit here...it's weight. Which when you think about it is VERY SAD! How can a car being built in this day and age with ALL of the new materials that are out there, all of the CAD programs etc. weigh this damn much!

Mr. SVT...you missed this one. I hope your TEAM up there in Detroit reads this forum often and I hope you're thinking about what YOU can do now to correct this.

And I tell ya' why...you're other Detroit buddies are kickin' your A$$ right now! I've been a Blue oval boy for many a year...but that new Camaro with the ol' C5 Z06 motor will SCORCH your lil' "Shelby partnered GT 500"

And oh, how do you feel about a 4x4 SUV kickin' ya big ol' a$$!!! I mean really..."Go out and buy a new GT 500 and meet up with an SRT Cherokee and LOSE THE RACE TO THE NEXT STOP LIGHT!"

Yeah, you MISSED THIS ONE !

Sad...very sad.

I'll stay with what I've got...much better lookin', much MEANER through and through and a BOAT LOAD LESS $$!!

You're funny. Yours weights 3780, one whole hundred pounds less than what I'm getting.......a 2007 Shelby coupe. Meaner, yeah right, in my opinion, very few converts are mean period. Oh, and you added power, wonder why by these Motor Trend quotes, I know why............

"Thank goodness a new Mustang is coming in 2005, because this car is a museum piece. Love the power and Yankee simplicity, but, boy, is this car rough around the edges."
--Ron Sessions

Others expected more from the advertised power, but the Cobra convertible outweighs a similar Corvette by over 500 pounds. Senior photographer/senior feature editor John Kiewicz jots, "This is the best Mustang V-8 in years. Strong, torquey power throughout the revs, but I almost expected more from nearly 400 horsepower. Likely as not the ragtop's added weight is taking the edge off this otherwise potent mill."

You may regret your decision.

BetterthanU

Banned
:nono: try ~3650 for an 03/04 (1/4 mile 12.7 @ 112), 400 more than a c5....... 250-300 lbs less than a gt500 (3915+ lbs). :rollseyes
Sorry his post was threatening to you.

Last edited:

jman345

Banned
The car wieghs as much as a 575M ferrari and has the same hp and they clocked that car in the 12.2 range what makes you think this car isnt any different wernt we surprised to see it go 12.9 then what happened 12.7 what makes you think other mag wont get it lower from the looks of it that is what is happening and mark my words it will go lower once MM&FF drive it low 12s guarented.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i could care less if you get one or not. i do agree with you that if you are going to pay that much money for any car it should be exactly what you want. the part i do not understand is why everyone is making a decision off of these so called car reviews? see it in person, drive one, and then make a decision. never by a car on what someone else thinks of the car.

based purely on power to weight ratio this is a high 11 sec car. when real world physics are thrown in you will see many stock gt500 in the low 12's, high 11's with sticky tires. if you want a faster car, or if you just want to impress your friends dont buy the car. the last thing i would do, one way or another, is to make up my mind because some writer does not like a car. :poke:

jman345

Banned
ON D BIT said:
i could care less if you get one or not. i do agree with you that if you are going to pay that much money for any car it should be exactly what you want. the part i do not understand is why everyone is making a decision off of these so called car reviews? see it in person, drive one, and then make a decision. never by a car on what someone else thinks of the car.

based purely on power to weight ratio this is a high 11 sec car. when real world physics are thrown in you will see many stock gt500 in the low 12's, high 11's with sticky tires. if you want a faster car, or if you just want to impress your friends dont buy the car. the last thing i would do, one way or another, is to make up my mind because some writer does not like a car. :poke:

Finally someone with some sense whoever doesnt believe this is one stupid dipshit like he said no one has drove the car but you keep on putting it down like a critic telling you a movie is no good does that mean its no good no they said The Waterboy was stupid it was the best movie of the year dont judge something you havent experienced.

jman345

Banned
Quick96Cobra said:
:bored:

I dont know where you get the idea of dropping from high 12s to low 12s... but lets see.. Average Z06 Driver can hit 11.7 - 11.8... umm no drag radials?

Do Not Compare A Mustang To A Corvette. I am a Ford person and always will be.. but to compare those two doesnt make sense.. the Z06 is in the Ford GT's League.. Mustang.. well.... it just.... isnt... Can you compare a Mustang to a Viper?? Stock For Stock? No. Same With The Z06. End Of Discussion On That Part...

I Also was very excited for the new "GT500" to come out but Ford screwed up and made the car a tank...

Oh yeah... Flame Suit - Check :burn:

Umm once its all said and done the GT500 will be a good challenge for the Z06 with just few mods i mean hell the car will be getting high 11s with just slicks and with a new pully a chip and slicks mid 11s or lower and trust me mods wont cost much on a gt500. Looks like your a dipshit also wont the z06 is done with sonny.

jman345

Banned
And quick cobra from the looks of it your flame suit isnt working you just got burned the hell up that damn smiley toasted your ass.

broeli

Established Member
jman345 said:
Umm once its all said and done the GT500 will be a good challenge for the Z06 with just few mods i mean hell the car will be getting high 11s with just slicks and with a new pully a chip and slicks mid 11s or lower and trust me mods wont cost much on a gt500. Looks like your a dipshit also wont the z06 is done with sonny.
You sound worse with every post. Who cares if a GT500 will keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4. It will lose, and lose BAD, at everything else. Put them on a road course together..

jman345

Banned
How will the GT500 lose if it keeps up with a z06 for a msrp price of 42 grand and just a couple of thousand dollars in mods tell me that? There are only 4 cars in the world that can beat the z06 stock and if a gt500 can keep up with it with just few mods what makes you think it will lose are you really that stupid?

jman345

Banned
And you dont sound like an idiot broeli saying it will lose bad if it keeps up with a z06 use some common sense if only 4 cars in the world can keep up with the z06 stock and the GT500 can keep up with it with minor mods it will be almost impossible for a car to beat it with mods. lol

broeli

Established Member
jman345 said:
And you dont sound like an idiot broeli saying it will lose bad if it keeps up with a z06 use some common sense if only 4 cars in the world can keep up with the z06 stock and the GT500 can keep up with it with minor mods it will be almost impossible for a car to beat it with mods. lol
WTF are you talking about? I'm now convinced you're just a troll trying to look as stupid s humanly possible. I'm done trying to talk to you and your 3rd grade level of thinking.
Things like handling and braking make a HUGE difference on the road course...I wouldn't expect you to know that though since I'm sure you aren't even old enough to drive yet
Please go away troll

Users who are viewing this thread