Well that didn't last long...

SVT1320

Established Member
Some of you might remember a few weeks ago I posted about me purchasing a (to my knowledge) stock 2014 GT500 sight unseen aside from pictures. However, once the car arrived I noticed it had a JLT big carbon CAI and the Ford Racing twin 65mm TB already installed. Guess I missed that in the pictures and I cant double check because the car is off the website now. ANYWAY, the weather had been cold and crappy, until about a week ago. Last week the weather warmed up so I took the car for a drive. I did a couple of hard pulls in 3rd and noticed a very faint crumbling paper/static sound under load around 4-5k RPM. After doing a visual check under the car and noticing nothing out of place, I took it to Ford. Ultimately our Roush service tech said it sounded like possible predetonation (F#%K!). I don't think they popped the hood and saw I was modded, because he said it could be some bad gas and told me to keep the RPMs low and go through another tank and see what happens. I asked if he thought there could be damage, but he said as faint as it is and it only having just under 7k miles, he doubts it. I've only used 93oct and on that day at Ford I was on my third tank of it... so I doubt it's gas. I left Ford and went to my local tuner Dyno & Performance. After talking with him he thinks one of two things; A: the previous owner did these mods and never had it properly tuned, B: it's running a crap tune. So I have an appointment next week to get it on the dyno and get it sorted out. During my Google searching to self educate myself on this issue, I came across many times that the stock boost psi on 13-14 GT500s was 14psi. Now I'm not sure how accurate our boost gauges our on the car, but I definitely remember at one point it hit ~18psi! Is it safe to say the car also has a 2.4'' pulley? Or can the JLT big carbon CAI, twin 65mm TB, and possible tune increase psi as well? I'm trying to get all my facts straight before I see my tuner next week. Thanks for any help/motivation and uplifting sayings haha!

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
No tuner squirreled away in the glove box or trunk?

I would drive pretty softly until it is sorted out.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Sorry to hear that, OP! Unfortunately, I disagree that "faintness" of sound or having under 7K miles mean much. Whether there's damage or not is more likely driven by whether the previous owner installed an appropriate/quality tune and what kind of service the car saw (before and after modification).

The stock boost gauge isn't very accurate since, IIRC, it's a computer-estimated reading rather than an actual physical sensor. That said, 18psi from a 2.4" pulley sounds about right at/near sea level. (Availability of 93 octane implies your altitude isn't very high.) The CAI, TB, and tune shouldn't affect boost (much).

I agree with Weather Man, I'd drive it as little as possible and take it easy (no boost) until you sort things out.

Last edited:

SVT1320

Established Member
Sorry to hear that, OP! Unfortunately, I disagree that "faintness" of sound or having under 7K miles mean much. Whether there's damage or not is more likely driven by whether the previous owner installed an appropriate/quality tune and what kind of service the car saw (before and after modification).

The stock boost gauge isn't very accurate since, IIRC, it's a computer-estimated reading rather than an actual physical sensor. That said, 18psi from a 2.4" pulley sounds about right at/near sea level. (Availability of 93 octane implies your altitude isn't very high.) The CAI, TB, and tune shouldn't affect boost (much).

I agree with Weather Man, I'd drive it as little as possible and take it easy (no boost) until you sort things out.

Yes sir, Im in Arkansas, basically sea level. An I agree, any amount of ping is worse than none. Is there any visual way to tell if it's a stock pulley or not?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Is there any visual way to tell if it's a stock pulley or not?
Maybe. The difference in size isn't always the most noticeable (to the naked eye). Most are designed to look very similar to stock. Smaller pulleys are frequently installed with an aftermarket idler, to increase belt wrap, which are very noticeable.

Good thinking, I will.
Don't be alarmed at the absence of a spare tire, with which our cars are not equipped.

SVT1320

Established Member
No tuner in the trunk. I did snag a couple of pics, thoughts?

The first image is one I found on Google of a stock engine bay, the pulley looks different. Mine doesn't have that black cover thing or whatever on the front.
05-hagerty-2013-shelby-gt500.jpg
20170316_232539.jpg
20170316_232830.jpg

Last edited:

SVT1320

Established Member
Can't speak on the pulley, but the intake and TB look stock if that is your engine bay.

Tom

The first image is a stock engine bay off Google to compare with. Updated it so it makes more sense haha sorry.

SVT1320

Established Member
Other than the air filter, the top photo does appear stock.

The pulley and idler in the bottom one appear aftermarket.

Good catch on the filter. I did some research and I think you're right, the idler does appear aftermarket. I found some images of supposedly the stock setup and then looked at aftermarket ones and mine looks like the Billet one. Hopefully someone wont mind checking their stock idler and comparing with mine. Below are the images I found.
Stock:
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Aftermarket:
large-plly-1000-blk.jpg

it looks like a 2.4 upper pulley, It would be wroth buying a Lund ngauge so you can keep a eye on Knocks and IAT2s

Yeah, the deeper I dig, I think it is. Haha yup, I actually just ordered an SCT X4 Tuner.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Best thing you can do for the car and your mind is get a compression, leak down and bore scope test done. It'll tell you immediately if you've done any damage to the engine.

Long story, I previously bought a 07 from a dealer with a brand new, warranty covered long block. They told me the engine was all factory and not modified. I received the car with a check engine light on and a cylinder 8 misfire. Replaced the plug and all was well for about three months. Then again, check engine light, cylinder 8 misfire. Did a compression check and it passed with flying colors. Bore scoped the cylinder and top of the piston and found scoring on the cylinder wall and small craters all over the top of the piston. When I bought the car, I didn't know much about Shelby's or what to look for, just took the dealer at their word and felt better about it with the new engine and 3yr power train warranty. Come to find out, the dealer replace the long block, put the super charger back on, which had a 2.6 upper and not the factory pulley. Also, they put the intake the car had on, which turned out to be a steeda intake. All of which was being run on a factory tune. Obviously detonation occurred and damaged cylinder 8. I got the dealership to buy the car back from me for what I paid for and half my paid sales tax. Thank God I documented everything from the beginning to help my case. Point is, get those assessments done asap so you know what you're dealing with. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT1320

Established Member
Best thing you can do for the car and your mind is get a compression, leak down and bore scope test done. It'll tell you immediately if you've done any damage to the engine.

Long story, I previously bought a 07 from a dealer with a brand new, warranty covered long block. They told me the engine was all factory and not modified. I received the car with a check engine light on and a cylinder 8 misfire. Replaced the plug and all was well for about three months. Then again, check engine light, cylinder 8 misfire. Did a compression check and it passed with flying colors. Bore scoped the cylinder and top of the piston and found scoring on the cylinder wall and small craters all over the top of the piston. When I bought the car, I didn't know much about Shelby's or what to look for, just took the dealer at their word and felt better about it with the new engine and 3yr power train warranty. Come to find out, the dealer replace the long block, put the super charger back on, which had a 2.6 upper and not the factory pulley. Also, they put the intake the car had on, which turned out to be a steeda intake. All of which was being run on a factory tune. Obviously detonation occurred and damaged cylinder 8. I got the dealership to buy the car back from me for what I paid for and half my paid sales tax. Thank God I documented everything from the beginning to help my case. Point is, get those assessments done asap so you know what you're dealing with. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay thanks for the advice, I'm guessing thats something my Ford dealership can do?

Why have you not measured the pulley yet? That is the way to visually check the size.

Wouldn't the only measurable diameter area be where the belt is at? Or is the physical size of the 2.4" pulley also smaller?

jblood37

Established Member
Diameter is measured from peak of rib to peak of rib across the pulley. Are the belts that hard to take off? It takes 2 minutes in my cobra. If it's hard, then measure the outside diameter of pulley and subtract 2 times the distance from the outside of the pulley to the peak of rib. You can do what 13 cobra said also except divide that number by pi. He's giving you circumference, not diameter.

paluka21

Established Member
Some of you might remember a few weeks ago I posted about me purchasing a (to my knowledge) stock 2014 GT500 sight unseen aside from pictures. However, once the car arrived I noticed it had a JLT big carbon CAI and the Ford Racing twin 65mm TB already installed. Guess I missed that in the pictures and I cant double check because the car is off the website now.!

Sure you can. Don't you think everything on the internet is cached somewhere?
Go to: https://archive.org/
In the Wayback machine, enter the URL of the website where the picture was. Pick a date where the website has been "backed up" and you should find pictures of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread