Went to the track the last 2 weekends

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Went last weekend to FFW Commerce and ran 12.74 with the new n/a combo.

Went to my local track yesterday and ran 12.50's all day long. My 60's averaged 1.7's most of the day yesterday with one 1.6. I am still spinning even with those 60' times.

When I took the car to the dyno a few weeks ago it only put 292/325 to the tires which I was pretty disappointed with. After talking with a few of my mentors I have finally agreed that it is time to ditch the restrictive cobra intake

BiLL1024

Established Member
Lee, what is your combo now?
To me, the cobra intake is what makes it a cobra.
Well at least an important part of the package.
Can"t port it?

mgerman93

Established Member
The factory cobra intake is good for well over 400 hp at the flywheel NA. On top of that, the intake is one of the main pieces that make the car unique. Your results aren't terrible Lee, and it could certainly be improved with a little work. I already mentioned some things in earlier PMs. I'd be wary of your "mentors" advice.........

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Have you tried Tom Moss porting?

Supposedly he is the master of Cobra intakes and has dyno sheets to prove a better power band than a Holley Systemax.

http://www.tmossporting.com/

When I do my 347 I plan to make the top end look it did the day it rolled out of Dearborne :-D

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
When I took the car to the dyno a few weeks ago it only put 292/325 to the tires which I was pretty disappointed with. After talking with a few of my mentors I have finally agreed that it is time to ditch the restrictive cobra intake

I must say those numbers make me feel pretty good since I make 265/300 without the valve covers yet to come off...

racerbox77

Established Member
Have it extrude honed. Not sure of the price or the power improvement maybe someone here can expand on this. I would like to ditch the restrictive intake too but Im keeping it just because its a Cobra

cobra93

Established Member
mgerman93 said:
The factory cobra intake is good for well over 400 hp at the flywheel NA. On top of that, the intake is one of the main pieces that make the car unique. Your results aren't terrible Lee, and it could certainly be improved with a little work. I already mentioned some things in earlier PMs. I'd be wary of your "mentors" advice.........

Lee has stock compression, Mark. About 9:1 isn't it Lee? I would guess from your numbers that you are in the 10.5:1 compression range?

Big Ben said:
Have you tried Tom Moss porting?

Supposedly he is the master of Cobra intakes and has dyno sheets to prove a better power band than a Holley Systemax.

http://www.tmossporting.com/

When I do my 347 I plan to make the top end look it did the day it rolled out of Dearborne

If this was the case, you would see them on the NMRA Pure Street cars. Not a one to be found. The intake of choice for the EFI guys in this class is the Holley. The Cobra intake is a 20yr old piece that signs off after 5,500.

racerbox77 said:
Have it extrude honed. Not sure of the price or the power improvement maybe someone here can expand on this. I would like to ditch the restrictive intake too but Im keeping it just because its a Cobra

I tried that back in 1999. It was worth about 6-8 rwhp on my ~300rwhp combo at the time. I hated myself in the morning after spending all those $$$.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
mgerman93 said:

No they are not terrible but I did make more hp higher in the rpm with the 'b' cam than this n-61 is making. However the n-61 is making more torque through most of the rpm than the B cam did. I was really hoping to make within 10rwhp of what your car made since our combos are pretty much the same.

LOL about the cobra intake comments. That's why until now I have been so hard headed about swapping out the cobra intake out. I agree about its uniqueness on our cars but its killing me now. Especially since I have to run a spacer with it to clear the valve covers (that definitely is hurting my upper rpm power)

My mentors are very trustworthy so no problems there.

M. Arnold. Gotta little 'something' ordered for the upcoming track day. Watch my forums for a smack thread to get started up a few days before the event :-D. If she don't break, she should be running good :-D

cobra93

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
M. Arnold. Gotta little 'something' ordered for the upcoming track day. Watch my forums for a smack thread to get started up a few days before the event :-D. If she don't break, she should be running good :-D

Uh-oh. Hehe. This could be fun. Maybe I should come down a couple days early and we can "lend" you the 359... :uh oh: Oh, but then I would have to push mine down the track.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
We have 2 other cars coming also to settle a 'grudge match' that has been going on for the last few years. I think so far around $700 has been put in a pot to go to the winner between all of their friends. It should be interesting

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Tom Moss does not claim to make more HP than a Holley Systemax and yes the Holley will be superior in a drag race. What he does do is get a hell of a lot more power out of it (more than extrude honing) and higher curves in the usable RPM range that we see more often in street driving.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Big Ben said:
Tom Moss does not claim to make more HP than a Holley Systemax and yes the Holley will be superior in a drag race. What he does do is get a hell of a lot more power out of it (more than extrude honing) and higher curves in the usable RPM range that we see more often in street driving.

I think what cobra93 is pointing out is that the cobra intake is not worth paying anybody to do any work. Yes it is a good intake for torque (low end and midrange) but its not worth squat for power over about 5200rpm. I know because I ported the piss out of my lower and gained nothing in the upper rpm which is where I need the power.
If you can't port the intake to come close or match what the other aftermarket intakes are doing in the upper rpm (and that's what I need) then you are pissing away money.
Trust me, I hate to see it go.

Users who are viewing this thread