Wepon X COP problems

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
Hey guys/gals. I have a 03 Mach but an posting here b/c it gets more action. I just installed some wepon X cops and have many problems. First, they don't fit too well. Is it ok to leave the little sleeve off of them so you don't have to have them in there just right? They fit so tight that they actually compress the air behind them and "fart" when you put them in. I broke one of the connectors off off one of them removing it from the car they fit in so tight. I have to use a water pump pliers to get them out and it chews them to hell :fm:. Does anyone know if you can buy these individually? I also had to dremel a little bit of that little nub off of the spark plug end so that they would actually click on to the spark plug. No matter how hard I pushed, they would not click on. Also, they run like poo in the car. Part throttle in like 3rd gear the car misses really bad. Mostly just in town driving. The car dies at red lights and coasting up an off-ramp. When I go WOT they seem to pull a bit harder, and when I shift the response is great. But if I am playing and let off at like 6000 rpm for a couple seconds and then nail it again the car hesitates and bucks. I have to say that I am not impressed at all with them. I had ngk br7ef's in there with the stock coils gapped at .035. This is what I have used so far with the weapon x too. I just put in some new br7's gapped at .040. Maybe this will help? Weather sucks here now, but will hopefully try it on thursday. I am going to asssume that nothing horrible will happen if the car misses while spraying can it?

Last edited:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Im not even going to read through your whole post,but I will tell you its pretty much been proven that the factory COP's are as good as it gets. Not too many people have had much luck with aftermarket COPS.

01vert

Established Member
are the COPS for a 4v or a 2v, the polarity is reversed on a 2v as compared to a 4v and this might be part of the fitting problem. Spray with a miss at your own risk.

01 Venom

Established Member
Ummmm what? Why did you think it was a good deal to trade stock COPs for $400 after market ones?

This has been talked about a ton, the only guys seeing anything from after market COPs are those running big boost, they find they can open the gap on their plugs a little bit. Thats about all you get.

Do yourself a favor, put those on ebay and get a set of stockers back in there

Janstang

Established Member
They might not have gained him any power, but they shouldn't run like shit either.. I run them on my car with no issues. Bring your car by sometime and we'll try mine on it. If they are junk I still have my stock COP's..

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
BTW, what the hell are water pump pliers? J/K

Ass......I may have found the problem. When I got to the last plug I found that the cop was just lying in there and not clicked on. I am going to try it today while it is still dry out. Is .040 too much gap on those plugs?

Just took it for a drive. Same problem as before. Headed to MF

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Check over on modularfords.com. The owner (Mark) is a authorized vendor over there. There was other people complaining of fitment. -Mark

Sounds like you have the ones that are advertised as being equivalent to the OEM XCOPS. They have a second version which has higher ignition output. I ran the ones that were equivalent to the OEM cops, not the higher ignition ones. Had some mild issues so I returned them. Never tried their higher output ones that have been reported by many users to lean out the A/F enough to need a retune.

Janstang

Established Member
If you aren't getting any spark blowout up top with the nitrous leave the gap where it is. I've always ran around .032 or less with my power adder stuff. You still want to put that intake on before the last Street Legal?

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
If you aren't getting any spark blowout up top with the nitrous leave the gap where it is. I've always ran around .032 or less with my power adder stuff. You still want to put that intake on before the last Street Legal?
This isn't 605 so I can say this w/o getting my ass kicked. But do I really need it? LOL I might as well do everything at once and tune it once in the spring. I will put the gap back to .035. I may want to stop by with the car and see what you think. I am starting to think that the coils are ok. The reason it misses in town is b/c the throttle is so close to closed that the computer switches between part open throttle and fully closed and cuts the fuel. I wish my WB worked to confirm this. As soon as you put any load on it, the miss goes away. The high RPM hesitation is most likely the slow reponse of the returnless fuel system. Throttle slams shut, fp drops, nail it, takes a sec for fuel to react.

Janstang

Established Member
I'd like to see some before and after times comparing the stock to the P/P intake to see how much its helping you with the nitrous. Let me drive it around the block I can tell you right away if its related to the COP's or your tune..

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
I'd like to see some before and after times comparing the stock to the P/P intake to see how much its helping you with the nitrous. Let me drive it around the block I can tell you right away if its related to the COP's or your tune..

Yeah, we can what does your schedule look like? Only problem is that my et streets are worn all the way through on the one tire. I need to get new ones, but I want to go with a 28". That may mess up the results. Unless you know someone with a used 26x11.5 15 that I could use for a night.

Janstang

Established Member
You want to borrow my 28's? I'm leaving tomorrow for a big 4 day drunkfest at the river. Nothing on the schedule next week though..

WeaponX_Perf

Established Member
Your right, fuel pressure may be the issue. It's a very common problem. :) Higher output spark tends to make the issue more pronounced since they lean the A/F out.

Also, buyer beware. Did the guy tell you if they were the lower output or high output coils? Also, were they abused or were they fully working when you swapped for them?

We have a few sets meant for replacement that get out to customers because they don't want to be 'down' and sometimes they swap hands when they should be in the garbage because there is at least one bad coil in the set. If you need a couple coils we can replace individual units... but PLEASE... throw away any broken coils, don't EBAY them and don't sell them to someone knowing there may be an issue with them.
We do this to help customers but unfortunately it's others that end up suffering so I'm starting to double think my good nature for our customers because it tends to get abused.

The tight fit is also nothing new. In order to make a high output coil they need to be tight and fit snug.

If you need some replacement units just call us up.
519-341-4125

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread