Were to put o2 sensors and wideband

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Im recently changing my exhaust around and was wondering in my down pipe either to put my wideband and o2 sensors before or after the dumptube (were it enters back into my exhaust)? were would you all recommend putting them. Please need input

xr_1

Established Member
it depends if you have a single or twin set up?
and the diameter of your downpipe

It should be anywhere between 8-16" after your downpipe

Maybe someone with a single set up can chime in or go ModularFords for a faster answer :rockon:

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
yeah thats what i was told but does it matter whether its after the dumptube or before ( where its routed back into the exhaust)? I have a 3 inch downpipe transitioned to 4in. Id like to put them in the 3 inch part but dont know whether to put it before or after the dumptube.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
The best place to put it is before the turbo. That way if you have any oil going past the seals of the turbo it won't skew the readings of the wideband.

TRBO VNM

OP, the o2 sensors should be in a similar location as factory. so in the headers or just after the collector depending on the design.

the wideband typically is put in the downpipe as XR_1 mentioned

The best place to put it is before the turbo. That way if you have any oil going past the seals of the turbo it won't skew the readings of the wideband.

This is a good point and I thought the same as well when I first started dealing with them, but after research and what others have said, the downpipe is where you want it for a turbo car.

has anyone done any testing for pre and post turbo? I am sure, but I haven't looked for this kind of info for a while.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
OP, the o2 sensors should be in a similar location as factory. so in the headers or just after the collector depending on the design.

the wideband typically is put in the downpipe as XR_1 mentioned

This is a good point and I thought the same as well when I first started dealing with them, but after research and what others have said, the downpipe is where you want it for a turbo car.

has anyone done any testing for pre and post turbo? I am sure, but I haven't looked for this kind of info for a while.

I don't know if he did any testing, but my tuner has a turbo GT and he was pretty adamant about it.

TRBO VNM

I understand Shane and that is a very good reason to put the sensor where he recommends it. I was asking the same question when I first started out with turbos and everyone said in the downpipe. Same with a local import shop that does custom kits. Hell, if you have a seal go bad and have to repair or replace, the cost of a new sensor is not that much for most of these wideband kits.

Users who are viewing this thread