Western Canadian Cobra

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Well I've now had the new 03 Cobra for almost two weeks so it's time for me to stop living vicariously through all the SVTPerformance forum posts for the last 6 months of waiting!!

I ordered the Cobra (#5777) in the last week of March and it arrived on rail to Vancouver, B.C., Canada on September 2nd. I received it on September 5th and have now got 450 miles on it.

A few impressions re the dealer and the vehicle follow.

I bought the car at Coastal Ford in Burnaby, B.C. The Salesman - Jim Williams, and Sales Manager - Dave Michnik were great to deal with. The price was MSRP - CAN $ 46,940 plus documentation fee and taxes. This is about US $ 29,500!! This is great. The problem is we have to pay 7% federal GST and 7.5% Provincial sales tax. Don't governments suck!!! Coastal threw in a nice leather sleeved SVT jacket. All in all I recommend them to anyone.

One tip for those tracking their car. Once you have a railcar number, log onto www.steelroads.com, register, and then you can track the delivery route and times through every station. It does get pretty exciting towards the end!

I think the car looks awesome in black. All the new body parts, the wheels, the lowered front and the bit of a forward rake look great and there have been many compliments. I took the car to an open track day at mission sponsored by Brown Bros. I wasn't able to run on the track but the car was like a magnet with everyone wanting to see it!!

Driving impressions are great so far. The car has serious grunt and will only get better with some more miles and some selective modifications. I can't get over how quiet it is. A real stealth machine! When you stand on it though it sounds like a big jet engine! It seems hard to tell by ear what RPM you are at, without looking at the tach. Because the power is so linear and effortless it does not seem so fast but everything disappears in a hurry in the rear view mirror! And you can be into the rev limiter very quickly in 1st and 2nd gears.

The car feels very tight, handling is super - very firm and neutral in the corners. Easily modulated with the throttle.

The only negatives are that the transmission is noisy, rear axle was a bit noisy but these seem quieter as I put on some miles. Yes the drivetrain has slack and can clunk a bit but I guess thats part of the price of a manual tranny. The shifter is a bit vague in finding 3rd gear sometimes, otherwise OK but a Steeda or Pro 5.0 new will be ordered. And yes it does have skunk! Hopefully that will go away.

One neat thing about the Canadian cars that you guys in the US don't have - our speedometers go up to 260!! Well OK it's kilometers per hour, but it looks cool. See the photo attached.

Well that's enough for now. Got to get the Zaino!

Gord Z.

PS - I'm not sure if the attachments will show up or not!

cobra racing

Established Member
Great description Gord, I am also a Canadian from the Toronto area and am patiently awaiting my new toy. There have been a few in the area and have been itching to drive one.
I would love any pics emailed to me
Thx
Mike's Email

Friendchicken

Hey Gord, I'm from Vancouver also and ordered a black 03. Supposed to be here next week. I went into coastal to check out a black one that someone has backed out on and I would have no trouble recommending them also.

I am quite anxious about getting to drive mine or at least hearing what one sounds like, but I'll be patient. I'll have to try and track the rail car for now tho. thx for the link.

Grads on the stang and I'll flash you a wave if I see ya!

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Hi 98Kobra!

The sound is like nothing. At idle it sounds like a V6 or a very highly muffled base V* in a luxury cruiser. When you step on there is still no exhaust sound. The blower noise is totally dominant. But it is awesome, like a jet engine winding up. It is very intoxicating and makes you want more!

Enjoy yours when it comes!

Gord

2003snake

Established Member
Originally posted by GordsFord
2003snake, and others, note that there is no comma at the end of the "steelroads" web address.

The correct link is www.steelroads.com

Gord

Thanks for pointing that out!

OK I have a railcar # and and registered now what? Track and trace? I have submitted applications with CSX & Norfolk Southern, I don't know who they use?!?!?

Am I doing this right?

Thanks in advance for your help.....

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
2003snake:

Onced you have logged in go to

"How do I"
"Monitor Progress"
"Track and Trace"
Enter the car number and the details you want from the menu, submit and it will search and report.

Good luck!

Gord

2003snake

Established Member
It's pretty incredible what you can find out.....I called VOPC got the Rail #, then tracked it by calling Norfolk Southern, they informed me that it arrived in Winston Salem at Ramp 32 @ 8:32am

Called VOPC back, they confirmed however after they checked with Allied (Truck Convoy) they had no record of the vehicle....I gues this means that either the car has not been checked in yet or has already left.........I'll bet it's the prior....

If any of you need some numbers let me know.

I'll bet that the truck driver is doing donuts in my car before he tags it ..........

J.

2003snake

Established Member
07/31/02 Purchase
08/12/02 no status info
08/14/02 no status info
08/19/02 Dealer Called - Clean & unscheduled
09/06/02 no status info
9/9/02 scheduled for build (Got Vin from dealer)-- 9/23/02 scheduled for delivery
9/10/02 buck'ed!!(Dealer Called)
9/11/02
9/17/02 As of 9/14/02 it's been shipped by convoy carrier

Last edited:

terminatd

Established Member
WOW, I have a sonic vert on order through Jim Williams at Coastal, the build date is 9/23, next week, yikes.

How long did it take for the car to arrive at Coastal after build?

Why couldn't you take it on the track?

How did you get that leather jacket?

Did you experience any probs other than skunk?

You may have the first in Canada.

:beer:

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
terminatd:

Thanks for your note.

Following are answers to your questions:

- The car build date was August 9th and it was delivered at Coastal Ford on evening of Sept. 4th. I took delivery on Sept. 5th.

- Brown Bros. sponsored the SVT track day. Since I had bought at Coastal they wouldn't let me run. I had told Tim Brown that I had bought 3 vehicles from them before and had tried to place an order with them in the last week of March. They wouldn't take an order then so I drove from Brown Bros. to Coastal and they took an order based on manufacturers price to be determined.

- The leather jacket was a gift from JJim W. and Coastal Ford because mine was the first 03 Cobra on the street in Vancouver area and I will be entering it into some car shows and enthusiast events.

- No other real problems other than the Skunky smell. At 900 km it's faded a bit but still there.

It sounds like yours should be here in mid October. Let me know when it arrives!

You'll love the car. Last night in the cool air it felt even stronger with the blower packing in that cool air!

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread