What’s the longest you’ve ever let your car sit?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
What does you guys do for gas? I've always read that the gas goes bad.....I know it doesn't turn to water but....does the car rust away...does it rot? I'm wondering what happens.

My last Sunoco 93 Octane fill up of the year, consists of 2 bottles of Lucas Octane Boost and 4 ounces of Stabil. I'll got through a quarter tank of that over the winter. I'll put a hundred easy miles on it in the spring. When I'm down to a quater tank, fill it up with fresh 93. Never had any issues.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
What does you guys do for gas? I've always read that the gas goes bad.....I know it doesn't turn to water but....does the car rust away...does it rot? I'm wondering what happens.

In the past I've usually thrown some Stabil in the tank. It seemed to work even for my Cutlass that sat for 3+ years, but I put fresh fuel in it before I fired it back up.

The going "bad" part is when a lot of the lighter hydrocarbons evaporate, leaving a nasty, varnish residue that will gum up a lot of things. It's pretty bad. I had some gum up my pumps after sitting for a year or so during an engine build. A little solvent and they freed right up though.

This year after seeing how well the E85 sat, I'll probably leave that in the tank over the winter. Less of a hassle changing fuels too.

Recon

Established Member
Ours normally sit from November to April or May; depends on how the weather does in early spring.
My GT comes out on nice days in the winter with no salt on the road. My Mach hasn’t been on the road since 16, and I got it in 17.

Pick your poison.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know how some of you guys do it. I feel that I have an obligation to the car to let it stretch it's legs

On another note, normally if it's not driven I don't find or notice anything else that could possibly be wrong with the cars, lol.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

HPLouis

Established Member
On another note, normally if it's not driven I don't find or notice anything else that could possibly be wrong with the cars, lol........

LOL

If I don't drive the cars, I start getting an itch to sell them. This is why I always sell around the Feb through April timeframes. Then I miss the car around May and start searching for another one in the summer.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The longest was 7 month's, but I was deployed. So I don't think it counts. Aside from that the longest has been a month. I usually find an excuse to drive it. Occasionally I make the mistake of driving it to the gym on leg day

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL

If I don't drive the cars, I start getting an itch to sell them. This is why I always sell around the Feb through April timeframes. Then I miss the car around May and start searching for another one in the summer.
I don't seem to get the itch to sell them if they sit. I enjoy just hanging out and being around them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
LOL

I get that. Even when I was working on it I hit a point I was over it because I couldn't enjoy it. Once I drove it again everything was good.
I don't seem to get the itch to sell them if they sit. I enjoy just hanging out and being around them.

I wonder if that's because you have to deal with weather? I can drive mine year round, but will sometimes go a while without driving it and the thought to sell creeps in. That's when I know I need to drive it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I get that. Even when I was working on it I hit a point I was over it because I couldn't enjoy it. Once I drove it again everything was good. I wonder if that's because you have to deal with weather? I can drive mine year round, but will sometimes go a while without driving it and the thought to sell creeps in. That's when I know I need to drive it.
That's a good point. After they have sat during the winter months I have the itch to drive them. They feel like a new to me car again. My time to drive them is limited compared to some.

Users who are viewing this thread