What 3" in/out muffler for my setup?

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
So i am finally upgrading my exhaust to 3" and wanted to know what 3" muffler sounds the best in your opinion. I am currently running BBK LT's, catted Bassani X pipe, and SLP LM1's (All 2.5") routed to the side of the car (Roush side exit exhaust).
What i have for the new setup is Kook's LT's(1 3/4 Prim and 3" collectors) Kooks 3" O/R X pipe.
What do you guys think would sound the best?
Keep in mind its a tight fit under the car given the side exhaust.
Pic for reference:
DSC02680.jpg

Id like this muffler to be loud and deep.
If you have any vids of 3" exhaust please post up. Ive searched and watched several but I'm sure i haven't watched them all.
Thanks for all the help :beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I can take some.. Did you want them in car or out of the car etc?? My magnaflows are dumped so the sound may be a bit different but not by much.

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
Outside the car would be fine. Just want to see what idle would sound like. If you want to take in car vids that would be appreciated too

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::rockon:
You win sir!! That car just sounds nasty as hell! You just made up my mind unless 98saleen cobra comes up with something close to that.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well that car has huge cams compared to my tiny 98 Cobra cams.. I'll grab some vids tomorrow. Today got away from me lol

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
Emwun, would you happen to know the dimensions for that muffler? or what series it is? Ive searched and i believe it their flowpath series but i cant seem to find any dimensions on it. I need to know given the tight fit with my exhaust and whether or not i need a center in/out or if i need to go with an offset in/out.

EDIT: NVM. I found it. I must have overlooked it on their site.

Last edited:

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
Well that car has huge cams compared to my tiny 98 Cobra cams.. I'll grab some vids tomorrow. Today got away from me lol

Yea, i know he has a huge cam. I have the MPH custom grind kenne bell cam. Mine may not be as aggressive as his but it does have a nice lope.
I couldn't find a decent vid of the kenne bell cam but here is their custom blower cam:
MPH Mustang blower Cams - YouTube

Emwun Garand

Established Member
The specs on my cams aren't outrageous. They're between Stage 1 and 2 of the Comp/Crower cookie cutter cams, but they were spec'd by John Tymensky specific for a big blower/heavily ported heads build. My installer called them "baby cams" as a matter of fact. :D

As for the muffler part # I am not certain. I bought this entire catback used from a guy who had it on his 2001 Cobra. If your car is a 2V it will not have the same sound as mine.

Tim99GT

Just a 2V...
Established Member
The specs on my cams aren't outrageous. They're between Stage 1 and 2 of the Comp/Crower cookie cutter cams, but they were spec'd by John Tymensky specific for a big blower/heavily ported heads build. My installer called them "baby cams" as a matter of fact. :D

As for the muffler part # I am not certain. I bought this entire catback used from a guy who had it on his 2001 Cobra. If your car is a 2V it will not have the same sound as mine.

Its definitely a 2v and i dont think it will sound just like yours but it should be somewhat similar. I am finishing up the build now and will be running a built bottom, TF heads, MPH custom kenne bell grind cam and the kenne bell 2.8L blower.
Idle wont be as loud but i suspect that once on it itll be pushing some serious air though. Hopefully anyways ;-)

Here's another vid of me running a Grand National in the 1/8th. Spun terribly but managed to reel him in.

2004 Cobra vs Buick Grand National - YouTube

Nice! Your car sounds great! :rockon:

mach1033

Established Member
I have a full 3 inch system as well. Kooks long tubes, dr gas x pipe, manga flow race mufflers, dynamax tails and 4 inch manga flow tips. It is way to damn loud lol. I'm thinking of building another 3 inch cat back but this time with actual 3 inch mufflers instead of a bullet style.

Users who are viewing this thread