What alternator to get

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
So I'm pretty sure my alternator finally crapped out last weekend, started with my radio shutting down and then I got an abs warning along with a traction control warning. Car died a block away from my house and I coasted home. I was able to start it a few hrs later and put her away but from what I've heard and from asking around I'm starting with the alternator. Does this not make sense to anyone? I'm open to other ideas. Anyway, I was thinking of upgrading to a PA Performance 200 amp but I've seen people have just as much problems with them as the stock ones. I know there's a good thread on here but the search function stinks right now. I really don't need the extra amps for a stereo or anything else but whenever I have to replace stock parts I'd rather upgrade if feasible.

enormous

Established Member
Not long ago I purchased the Mechman 250 from VMP and I think this unit gives me the best performance and piece on mind on the road. The additional cost is certainly worth it the way I see it.
I also added the Mechman BIG 3 cable kit with zero gauge wiring and quality connectors to insure proper connection using the 250 amp Mechman. The factory wiring is undersized to support a 250 amp Alternator.

I really did not find the removal or installation difficult but the Mechman comes pre installed with a overdrive pulley and slipping the tight factory belt over the pulley gave me fits by myself. An extra set of hands pulling on the tensioner would have made it easier.

FullBoogie gave me a great tip: Install the new alternator from underneath and place an elastic around the two upper bolts to hold them in place while getting the alternator in positioned from underneath . Cut the elastic after the two upper bolts start threading.

Also , swing the sway bar out of the way by only unbolting the 4 bolts holding the two clamps.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Just checked out the mechman and I almost choked when I saw the price. 600 for alt and another 70 for the cable. It's probably worth it but I wasn't expecting to spend that much on an alt.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Just curious, when was the last time you changed your battery? Also, revs kill these alternators, perhaps you get a stock alternator with an underdrive pulley for it?

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Battery is less than 2 years old, I think I am going to get another stock alt for 150 and take my chances. I already have the bps alt pulley but I never put it on my old alt. I'll def put it on my new one. My driving pattern is rough on the alt, all short trips and 1/4 mile runs. Sits for a while and always during the winter. If I can get close to 8 years like my first one I'll be very happy.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Just bought a stock alt, 155 shipped plus my core returned. Can't afford 700 for an alt right now so hopefully I get a couple years out of another stock one. In the future if this doesn't last I'll consider one of the options above. Thanks for the suggestions.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Just checked out the mechman and I almost choked when I saw the price. 600 for alt and another 70 for the cable. It's probably worth it but I wasn't expecting to spend that much on an alt.

I have been through 3 OEMs, 1 PA and have had a Mechman for over a year. Expensive, and damned well worth it.

bj

Imatk

Established Member
Yeah I went through three of them before I bought the Nations... expensive as hell... but hopefully now I won't go through any more :)

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
How long did everyone original alt work? I got 8 years out of mine. I guess it's hit or miss with the stock. I was considering the PA Performance but I've read they're just as bad

Imatk

Established Member
How long did everyone original alt work? I got 8 years out of mine. I guess it's hit or miss with the stock. I was considering the PA Performance but I've read they're just as bad

Mine was fine until I added extra things like the fanned heat exchanger, camera, and radar detector.

I think the heat exchanger was the thing that really made an issue though.

I think those stock alts are JUST enough to keep up, but if you add anything electrical in addition to the stock system it has problems.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I heard Nations or go home for others that are interested. I did EXTENSIVE reading a little while back.

Imatk

Established Member
I heard Nations or go home for others that are interested. I did EXTENSIVE reading a little while back.

Same here... I REALLY didn't want to fork over that much money, but after burning through three of them I was done.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
How long did everyone original alt work? I got 8 years out of mine. I guess it's hit or miss with the stock.

Same year car with over 38k miles and still on the original alternator. Replaced my battery once a couple of years ago due to sluggish cold starts. I don't spin the engine over 6,000 rpms if I can help it, and I think that has a lot to do with keeping the alternator alive. I'll probably go OEM again based on my experience with the original alternator.

enormous

Established Member
I'm with Imatk on this thought. I addition, I also run day time running lamps, full time BAP, GPS, and the music is mostly on, then add summer air conditioning on top of Imatk's list of electrical drawing items and that is enough stress to kill a substandard factory alternator in short order as this consequence had been noted several times on this forum.

I look at the High Price Of the buying another factory alternator. So, MECHMAN was a wise personal choice.

Mine was fine until I added extra things like the fanned heat exchanger, camera, and radar detector.

I think the heat exchanger was the thing that really made an issue though.

I think those stock alts are JUST enough to keep up, but if you add anything electrical in addition to the stock system it has problems.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Same year car with over 38k miles and still on the original alternator. Replaced my battery once a couple of years ago due to sluggish cold starts. I don't spin the engine over 6,000 rpms if I can help it, and I think that has a lot to do with keeping the alternator alive. I'll probably go OEM again based on my experience with the original alternator.

Ever consider an underdrive pulley? I agree with the theory about the revs.

Users who are viewing this thread