What ammo do you guys use for shotgun home defense only.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Buckshot has more of a spread, it's more of the oh @$&@&$ moment and then once on target a slug is as accurate as a rifle. Basically if someone was holding a knife to someone's throat the slug would take the bad guy out and you would need dental records to identify them. The problem with bird and buckshot which many police departments are getting away from is there are pellets going off target and they are going to slugs only.
Shotgun's spread about 1" per meter according to all sort of videos/testing etc. I know MY house doesnt have a long strait hall in it to really benefit from potential spread. Also if the slug is as accurate as a rifle, why not use a rifle? 30 shots with an easy trigger pull vs 7 slower shots that may malfunction if you dont manipulate the the it correctly in a situation you've never been in before.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Shotgun has a great psychological advantage when they hear the first round being put into the chamber
I’m thinking of keeping it locked and cocked like all my pistols. If they’re already in my house I don’t want to scare them away.
If my dog barking doesn’t scare them and they still come in then all is fair.
Btw I also do have pistols and revolvers ready to go along with the shotgun.

Bioburner

Established Member
I’m thinking of keeping it locked and cocked like all my pistols. If they’re already in my house I don’t want to scare them away.
If my dog barking doesn’t scare them and they still come in then all is fair.
Btw I also do have pistols and revolvers ready to go along with the shotgun.
They wouldn't hear it around here either as nearly 300 lbs of bitch would be keeping them pretty well entertained.
I have a tactical vest with pistol and extra ammo to slip on if things are looking that menacing

_Snake_

Established Member
If your going to go out and buy rounds for your gun I would agree buckshot is probably the best. If you have adjustable chokes/changeable barrel put in the full choke for the tightest shot spread. I have a Remington 1100 that I keep the slug barrel on for home defense. I bird hunt and always have loose shells around,so I keep it loaded with bird shot. With the semiauto, slug barrel and 15-20' shots inside my house,I'm confident I'll put down anyone stupid enough not to run when they hear me chamber the first round.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the bad guy is gonna shoot in the direction of the round being chambered when he hears it. IF you're able to get a round off afterwards, bird shot is just going to piss the person off.

There's no way I'd ever use bird shot as a home defense round unless I was in a Hitchcock movie.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol the hollywood cocking will scare the bad guy sound. No thanks.
A shotgun being racked is one of the most recognizable sounds in the world. It's very effective in giving someone a moment of pause. If I'm snooping around in someone's house and hear that then I'm going to think twice about walking into the direction of that noise. I'm all for setting an ambush and letting someone have it when they aren't tipped off, but you can't dismiss the effectiveness of that sound.

_Snake_

Established Member
A shotgun being racked is one of the most recognizable sounds in the world. It's very effective in giving someone a moment of pause. If I'm snooping around in someone's house and hear that then I'm going to think twice about walking into the direction of that noise. I'm all for setting an ambush and letting someone have it when they aren't tipped off, but you can't dismiss the effectiveness of that sound.

It works great in the movies, and possibly in real life if the other person is unarmed and/or not high on something. Otherwise all it does is tell the bad guy where you are.

If I'm snooping around in someone's house and hear a shotgun being racked, I'm emptying my magazine in that direction and hauling ass.

An ambush doesn't work if you forecast your intentions.

Snot Rocket

Being an avid bird Hunter I usually keep something between a 2.75" 7 shot during dove season up to a 3.5" "BB" during duck season either way the assailant will survive but his visit to the ER is going to be very antagonizing while they're plucking pellets out off his back for a couple hours.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
No intruders here....im the scary house at the end of the street, but if folks wanna test I have pistols spread thru out the house and a mini 14 in 300 blackout as my "go to"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bioburner

Established Member
Nothing dark and scary around my home with a handful of motion sensing outside and inside lights. A little prevention goes a long ways in keeping the cowards that like sneaking around in the dark away.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I went with 00 buck. I don’t have kids so in the event someone comes in my wife will be with me.
7c4202461bd2efd2feaaf522d9470bdd.heic

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread