What are all my options for Mustangs?

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
chuckstang said:
ya but unless you personally know the person that is going to disassemble your engine and beef it up ,I hear too many cases of people that once their engine gets built, its one big headache and in the shop every other week. Id rather buy a car from the factory that is meant and designed for the abuse (plus a warranty!)
I think it comes down to the fact that I dont really trust anyone enough with my car lol and I certainly cant do it myself. But would 8pds of boost with a stock gt mustang engine go kaaaboooom????
Im just paranoid lol sorry

I don't blame you one bit. I'd much rather go the route of buying a car from the factory that can stand some abuse rather than have to go through the expense and hassle of building one myself. Unfortunately most car makers are going the cheap route and using hypercrap pistons and cast parts in their motors. Hell even the C6 Vette doesn't have a forged rotating assembly!!! :eek: At 45 grand you would expect it to. The GT500 is the way to go but it all depends on the price. With the expected mark up I'm predicting prices north of 50 thou. I'm hoping that if I wait and be patient all the hype will go away and the prices will come down to MSRP or lower.

And yes a new Mustang GT motor will go boom with as little as 8 - 9 lbs of boost if it's not tuned right or abused. Ford really needs to make these motors a little more durable and not be so cheap!!! :bash:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
no you can not turn the gt into the gt500. however, if you could find a gt near invoice + a whipple + baer brakes + a few minor suspension upgrades you could have very nice performance for around 35k in the mustang gt. :burnout:
I doubt you would get that accomplished for that price. Right now GTs for invoice are rare to nonexistent. Whipples are 4500 (nonintercooled) to 6500 (intercooled/chrome) just for the parts, no labor (if you don't want to do it yourself). The Mustang handling pack is 1149 from FRPP. Brakes are $600 to 2800 for fronts only. So, bare minimum kits are about $6000. That keeps you under 35k for parts without labor. But, you also need tuning, CAI, exhaust, probably additional chassis support, wider rear tires to get traction and whatever else all without labor cost and only to void the warranty. I think I'll go with the GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
mustang gt 27k otd + brakes 2k installed + whipple black intercoolled installed and tuned 6.5k + suspension 1k = 36.5k. you can also wait the mustang will have rebates at some point before summer 07. :rockon:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I guess my point is, you will need those other expenses in order to do it right. The mods you list would make the car faster, but, you need the supporting mods to make it work as well as the GT500 and it would likely void the warranty.

69 Boss9

Established Member
I believe the GT500 will be the best bargain for a new Mustang--IF you can get it at MSRP. I am sure the few dealers in my area will be demanding 10K over sticker. I want one of these cars extremely bad but am out of the game at that price. Building your own wicked ride out of a new GT is an alternative price wise, but all the money spent will be down the drain at selling time. I sold my 03 Cobra in anticipation of this new car being released, and I am bummed out that I likely won't get one for the right price for nearly TWO years. I am strongly considering a new s281 Saleen. Because I can get it now and it would still be worth way more than a self modified GT I would have similar money in. If I am thinking wrong, let me know as I plan on buying a car very soon.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
I guess my point is, you will need those other expenses in order to do it right. The mods you list would make the car faster, but, you need the supporting mods to make it work as well as the GT500 and it would likely void the warranty.

im not saying that it is. all im pointing out is that one can build a nice gt with good power for the same price as the gt500. of course the mustang gt will not have the upgraded tranny, clutch, fuel system, warranty and 5.4l engine.

and only when one looks at what they are really recieving from ford the gt500 is an absolute bargain. :rockon:

mrGT

Established Member
ON D BIT

You left off one other small advantage, IMHO.....you'll get more for a Shelby later on than you will for a modded out GT.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
69 Boss9 said:
I believe the GT500 will be the best bargain for a new Mustang--IF you can get it at MSRP. I am sure the few dealers in my area will be demanding 10K over sticker. I want one of these cars extremely bad but am out of the game at that price. Building your own wicked ride out of a new GT is an alternative price wise, but all the money spent will be down the drain at selling time. I sold my 03 Cobra in anticipation of this new car being released, and I am bummed out that I likely won't get one for the right price for nearly TWO years. I am strongly considering a new s281 Saleen. Because I can get it now and it would still be worth way more than a self modified GT I would have similar money in. If I am thinking wrong, let me know as I plan on buying a car very soon.

Why didn't you just keep your Cobra and sell when all the hype dies out on the GT500. If you're patient, they will be available at msrp or less. That's my plan. Ford will produce too many of these models just like they did with the Mach 1s and Terminators. BTW is that your Boss 9 in your sig?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
mrGT said:
ON D BIT

You left off one other small advantage, IMHO.....you'll get more for a Shelby later on than you will for a modded out GT.

your right a year after you pay 40 into the gt+mods it will be worth 25. a year after you pay 40 for the gt500 it will be worth 35. :rockon:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
your right a year after you pay 40 into the gt+mods it will be worth 25. a year after you pay 40 for the gt500 it will be worth 35. :rockon:

a year after you pay 40 for the gt500 it will be worth 32.

My issue is I like to buy new cars, I just don't like a previous owner and am willing to pay a bit more for one that has not been touched. I think the sticker on the GT500 coupe will be under 40K, say 39,950 and you should be able to buy it for 36k OTD in a year. If that doesn't pan out, assuming the product is significantly better than the '03/'04 Cobra, then I will get the Vette, or maybe a few other cars will surface over the next year. My '03 has spoiled me with power, I may actually buy a low milage '04 after I use this one up if nothing else that has than bang for the buck reappears. My goal is to always have a faster car with each purchase. :rockon:

69 Boss9

Established Member
mrGT said:
69 Boss9,

What do you expect to pay for the s281 Saleen? That is, if you don't mind me asking
I have a Saleen dealer near me that has a new 2005 s281 advertised for 39000. MSRP of 44002. What would be a fair price to pay considering it is a left over?

69 Boss9

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
Why didn't you just keep your Cobra and sell when all the hype dies out on the GT500. If you're patient, they will be available at msrp or less. That's my plan. Ford will produce too many of these models just like they did with the Mach 1s and Terminators. BTW is that your Boss 9 in your sig?
I sold the Cobra in April on this Forum. It had low miles and I sold for 27000. If I would have kept that car until the release of the GT500, I feel the resale on my car would have been much less. The car in my signature is my car. It is pictured in the showroom of the selling dealership. Thanks for asking.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
69 Boss9 said:
I sold the Cobra in April on this Forum. It had low miles and I sold for 27000. If I would have kept that car until the release of the GT500, I feel the resale on my car would have been much less. The car in my signature is my car. It is pictured in the showroom of the selling dealership. Thanks for asking.

Beautiful car. The 69 Boss 429 is my favorite of all time. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
oh man, the 69 boss 429 is the greatest stang ever. the only thing that could make yours better is if it was in black.

chuckstang

Established Member
why get a saleen s281???? waste of money because its not really any faster than a stock gt unless you opt for the supercharged one but at 39k i dont think that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread