What are my chances?

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I went to purchase an '03, to trade in my '02 SS on it. When I woke up the next morning, my mom had moved my car so the painters could get around back, she didnt think to pull the parking brake. my car rolled into the brickwall i park in front of (even though my driveways flat) and it took of a small, but large enough amount of paint to cause a problem, that i can't touch up myself. on that account, i have to worry about getting it fixed which will take up to 2 weeks or more at this point because i am extremely busy #1 with work, school and my demanding workout schedule (military) so I have decided just to wait until I return from Training (March) to buy my '03 Sonic Blue. HOWEVER, I know they are disappearing fast from the lots, so there will be two times I can purchase. the end of March, I will be home for a week. Then I return to training until the end of june that is the next available time i'll have to find and buy. Do you think I will still be able to find a Sonic Blue '03 somewhere on the East Coast around March time?? i'm SO ****n heated that they dropped it for '04. i'd be set.:mj: :gt: :cuss: what do you fellas think? thanks for any input.

jett

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Chances are nil that you will find a new 03 Sonic BLue as we speak. I doubt that there will be ANY 03's left by March or June of next year. Only 04's, If you want a SOnic BLue, you better make your'e move NOW or you will have to buy a used one.

Last edited:

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I dont think there is a strong likelihood that you will find a brand new SB 03 in March of 04'...Most of the 03' will be flying off the lots as the end of the year gets closer...Its possible but not probable...

-pete:coolman:

carstocks

Established Member
Make the deal with the damage. They can fix it cheaper than you can. So even if they take $300.00 off your trade in, big deal.

You will never get a new 04 for as cheap an 03. First, Ford learned their lesson with overproducing the Cobras.

2nd, there is no 05 Cobra coming, so no need to push them out if too many are laying around this time next year. The next Cobra will be an 06.

So buy the 03, and get the color you want for MUCH cheaper than an 04!

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
i got a price on my ws6 before I even had showed them my caqr, and I got more than another dealorship after they looked at it, I jsut ahd to sign something saying it wasnt a lemon, it was in the pontiac(slow as hell) shop getting some warranty work like new power window motor and a new fuel injector

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
yes but if i buy now, i risk letting the cobra sit around for months and months without being driven, snow etc. i dont know, i guess i just want to focus on getting through this challenge, then reapin the Cobra as a reward and not have to carry it on my shoulders any longer, but you can't beat the clock, so hopefully i can find and execute the best plan. ill keep you guys updated. thanks a ton.

jett

PS - i also realized that selling my car was the correct route. dealer wont even give me 20, some people want to buy tentatively for 23, 24k. its kelly blue book is 25, so i think 1k under that is reasonable considering it's a sweet car, ,minus the flaws.... WHY COULDNT I BE LOADED!!! oh well, something will happen soon enough. :cryying:

Last edited:

Friendchicken

Jettrink, don't worry at all about it. it's a used car and will have chips in the paint and whatnot. Treat it as if it's a stain on the front seat. Their detail guys know how to fix these things and is not worth knocking off any money on your trade in.

They are soiling themselves at getting your car and how much they are going to make off it. Don't worry about the paint issue.

You can bet that even if they repainted the bumper, they are still making 3k off it.

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
kobra, thanks for the input dude, but if i sell it, ill get up to 5k more, thats a whole year of payments+, thats the way i look at it anyways. but all the same, it could be too late. im absolutely beside myself that they discontinued SB for '04. that is so obnoxious, but at the same time, good for those who own, so there's not a million other sonic blue guys drivin around. i really would rather wait til i get back, just so i have everything squared away, it seems like dealers still have a solid inventory, plus with the bad weather coming up, it seems to me that people arent going to want to buy as bad with snow and such in the near future. i think i have a fighting chance, but i wanted to know what you Cobra buff's had to say. it's never too soon, but it could be too late.

Friendchicken

good luck! Sounds like either way you are excited to be getting into a cobra. Keep in mind that if you do wait, you are going to wait till march/April cause you aren't going to sell the 02 during the winter and it will then be a car that is 2 years old vs being a 1 year old car like it is today.

Be sure to let us know when you do get it :coolman:

Vmax39

Established Member
When I was looking to order an 02 SS, I was shocked at how little my 96 SS was worth in trade. I bought an 8000 mile 01 SS with all SLP options except bilsteins for 18900 from a chevy dealer. I can't imagine what the guy got in trade.
34000 sticker + 1 year and 8900 miles =18900.

Great deal which I traded for my Sonic 03 and never looked back.

Take the 20K, get a deal on the Cobra and get 5% financing online to use to get better financing from Ford. They want the sale enough to overlook the ding.

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
hey thanks so much for all ur input guys this really does encourage me to stay on the Cobra bandwagon, esp. to wjfa, thanks for lookin that up for me dude, really appreciate it. ill let you know, believe me ill be screaming to the tree tops if/when i get the SB '03. Vmax, perhaps u could explain a little more about the 5% online financing...??? thanks again boys. :thumbup:

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
If the sonic blue falls through there is allways Competition orange with chrome rims. Oh and if you dont want your car just sitting around while your on the Island just drop it off at my house Ill look after it for you....:D

Vmax39

Established Member
A good strategy for dealing with financing is to have a pre qualified loan set up before you get to the dealer. I have used www.lending tree, and many others to get the best rate. When you have settled on the:
1. New car price
2. trade in price
then you can use your online loan rate, of most times the dealer will
meet or beat the rate.
Lots depends on your credit scores etc, but its good to know whats out there.

I didn't move on the Cobra a year ago until it was sticker price and 5% financing.

Good Luck

wjfawb0

Established Member
I walked in to the dealership with two pre approval letters for $30,000 dollar loans from two different credit unions. That let them know I was serious. I didn't use the whole $30,000 of course.
If rebates are available, usually you can take them and finance and come out ahead of even 0% financing (especially if their is some hokey $XX fee for every $1000 borrowed).
I took the $2500 rebate, and I'll only pay $2200 in interest if I pay the loan off as scheduled for 4 years.

Look here to crunch numbers or use excel:

http://www.calcbuilder.com/cgi-bin/calcs/5.8/AUT5.cgi/Kiplinger

-Jason

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by JettRink
yes but if i buy now, i risk letting the cobra sit around for months and months without being driven, snow etc. i dont know, i guess i just want to focus on getting through this challenge, then reapin the Cobra as a reward and not have to carry it on my shoulders any longer, but you can't beat the clock, so hopefully i can find and execute the best plan. ill keep you guys updated. thanks a ton.

jett

PS - i also realized that selling my car was the correct route. dealer wont even give me 20, some people want to buy tentatively for 23, 24k. its kelly blue book is 25, so i think 1k under that is reasonable considering it's a sweet car, ,minus the flaws.... WHY COULDNT I BE LOADED!!! oh well, something will happen soon enough. :cryying:

If your worried about letting it sit but your wanting to buy a 03 in march. What is the dealer going to do. They let them sit in the snow and rain here. Sam thing will happen weather its in your driveway or there lot. Just warrenty issue. With the money saved for buying a 03 you can get a extended ford ESP

As far as your car and the dealer Im sure they already had it checked over for decision on what they give you for it they dont do it twice. park it on the side make the deal give them the keys and drive off with your sonic blue

Just my .02 worth

JettRink

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
cobra10th, appreciate it man, believe me, i wish it was as easy done as it was said. but i've been determined, it'll happen. whether its now or then, it will. i was born to drive an '03. i'm sure of it.:idea: but i'm also concerned about trading it in, because i just put brand new Dunlop SP Sport 9000 285s on it for my brand new Chrome Z06 rims (18") so i think selling it will be a much better bet, however with the cold weather coming, it's gonna have to be very soon. thanks again dude.

jett

davidmax

Established Member
They may not care about the damage most dealers have body shops and for 50-100.00 there done,and believe me there so hard up to clear out old inventory the will still cut you a great deal.Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread