What are the signs of a bent input shaft?

StickyFinga

Established Member
I have a strange noise eminating from the underside of my car. I am trying to figure out what the hell it is.

So, for anyone who knows...what would a bent input shaft sound/feel like? The noise is kind of a clicking...much the same as the noise a Z06 makes in idle. Only difference is my car makes it while idling, neutral, or in a driving situation.

I know the Z06 makes this particular noise because of the way the tranny is set up, but I have no idea why the Cobra would make the same noise.

Anyways I have lost no driveability, and the car feels the same...just sounds different. Any ideas?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Input shafts typically don't bend - they break. Actually, they start to twist, then they break....but in all the input shafts that I have broken (five), none gave me any warning....they just snapped.

I bet it is something else....no idea what...but something else.

Good luck.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Bob Cosby
Input shafts typically don't bend - they break. Actually, they start to twist, then they break....but in all the input shafts that I have broken (five), none gave me any warning....they just snapped.

I bet it is something else....no idea what...but something else.

Good luck.

I agree. You'd know if it was the input shaft.

Now the input shaft retainer sleeve on the other hand....

When my first one went the TOB started squealing and then there was a very audible clanking. Any squeal from your TOB? Any vibrations in the clutch pedal at the top of travel with very light pressure?

If you feel something isn't right I'd take it in. Warranty is there for a reason.

I'm on tranny number three, and currently getting "the tick" headswap done. When they R and Rd the engine they found my tranny cable was frayed as well. I'm on my third T56. This one feels pretty good though.

Good luck. Let us know.

StickyFinga

Established Member
Well I will need to strip everything off the car if I want to try to get something warrantied. Which of course would be worth it, but I would like to be sure of my problem before I take that step.

the clicking doesn't go away ever...once the car is started the noise stays until I turn off the car. There are no vibrations in the clutch pedal and the car drives just the same as it did before the noise started.

I have already had to tighten just about every bolt on my tranny...hopefully this thing isn't going south on me.

Also, the TOB is not making any noise at all...

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I twisted my input shaft and the indication is........ You need Hulk Hogan arms to get it into any gear..... trust me you'll not hear the problem but feel it.

bender460

Established Member
Ok I think I know what your problem might be. On my car if the clutch fork cover is not installed just right on the bellhousing the side of the clutch fork will come in contact with it. Just loosen the 8mm screw holding the cover and pull it down as far as you can and retighten. Worth a try, worked for me.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
ticking under car? Look for an exhaust leak.

That was going to be my guess. May be an exhaust leak. Does the ticking get faster while driving?

StickyFinga

Established Member
Yes the ticking accelerates while driving. I am hoping for an exhaust leak but I will try bender460's fix.

I didn't think it was a snapped input shaft...but I always think it will be the worst possible thing...and that would probably be it.

So is the consensus an exhaust leak?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by StickyFinga
So is the consensus is an exhaust leak?

could very well be, and because you don't have a chip listed in your mods, I assume you're still running quite rich....that should make it easy to find a leak, just look for the black marks

StickyFinga

Established Member
Originally posted by JB
could very well be, and because you don't have a chip listed in your mods, I assume you're still running quite rich....that should make it easy to find a leak, just look for the black marks

I have a custom Diablo chip...Just dont have it listed. ;-)

I am running a bit rich right now though...car is going back in tomorrow to look at the noise problem and re flash the chip.

Users who are viewing this thread