What are the stock struts on a 2001 cobra

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
pretty much what the topic says, i cant get the search to do anything but give me a error page. so... What are the stock struts on a 2001 cobra?

had one guy tell me blisteins and another guy tell me tokicos. so i dont know

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Neither. They are generic pos. Bilstein were on 00r, 03, and 04 Cobras. Mach 1s (and I think Bullitts) have Tokicos.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
Neither. They are generic pos. Bilstein were on 00r, 03, and 04 Cobras. Mach 1s (and I think Bullitts) have Tokicos.

100% accurate.

However I had heard a few rumours that the stock pieces are Tokico's but not specialized like the ones for the mach and bullitt's.

They are nothing special.

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
well damn... im trying to get some coilovers from Ground pounder or maximum motor sports and i dont know wtf is in my car lol.

Ground pounder said blisteins and maximum motorsport people said tokicos. so.. wtf do i have!? lol ****

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
well they just replaced the struts at ford late last year so i dont have many miles on them at all so i dont need to buy new ones... but theyre still the stock struts that go on a 01 cobra.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
ah. Then they should be fine for a little bit. Most OEM struts/shocks don't handle lowered vehicles well.

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
well i dont race or anything or take corners hard, went to the track like once, about it... i just.. wanna know what damn struts i have in the front of my car and ford themselves couldnt even tell me... just gave me a part # and price.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I'd be willing to bet that they are unmarked Tokicos. The way I figure is that in '01 they put 'em on the Bullitts, and why would they put better shit on a flashy GT than their flagship performance vehicle?

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
i wanna call svt headquarters or whatever. the place i called for my car production number nad the date it was made, but.. i forgot the #.

edit: got the # called them.. they said they dont know...... wtf. no name, they said its the same struts as in an 01 mustang GT, so if the coilovers will fit an 01 gt they should fit my car, is that true?

edit 2: yes they are.. that does help me some. thanks dudes.

Last edited:

onicrom

online predator
Established Member
Ill just ask this, does anyone know of a front coil over kit that i can use with my stock '01 cobra struts?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say no. You would be FAR better off buying 03 Bilsteins and have MM groove them for coilovers.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
You dont go to the track and you dont play in the corners, what's the need for a coilover kit? Put some springs under it and call it a day. JMHO In the end its your car and your $$$.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
yep

01 Cobras got the same crappy ones that the GTs got. You do NOT want to try to use those for coilovers! :eek:

Steve at Tousleys sells the Terminator Bilstein struts for $130/each. I know cause I just bought a pair myself. :thumbsup:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
You dont go to the track and you dont play in the corners, what's the need for a coilover kit? Put some springs under it and call it a day. JMHO In the end its your car and your $$$.
That's a very valid point. I wouldn't do coilovers either for a street only car.

Users who are viewing this thread