What are you guys running for a battery replacement?

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
After 3+ years of ownership I can tell my battery is lugging on start up after sitting. I use a tender, but if I drive it to work and the car sits for 9-10 hours it lugs.... but has started so far.
So I want a new battery, but I am thinking of a light weight battery. What are you guys running? I drive the car about 4-5k miles a year but as I said I use a tender. Just don't want to end up with a light battery that dies in a year.

Also if anyone has done a relocation to the trunk, I would like some info on that too.
Thanks!

_Snake_

Established Member
I've seen these listed as "racing battery". Can it work for my use for an extended time?

It depends on which model you buy. Some are truly "racing only" and don't have enough CCA to sit for a period of time (weeks?) and start your engine. Others are more robust and suitable for a daily driver, but they're also larger and heavier than the "racing only" version. However, they have models in between that are what you and I are more interested in (my Boss also sees limited use).

I'll give my friend (Braille dealer) a call and see what I can find out.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I bought a motorcraft one a few months ago. The indicator was orange so I swapped in a new one. Find a replacement soon before you wipe out your alternator as they are not designed to charge a dead/close to dead battery.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Well yesterday I took my car off the tender (it was green) and the battery did not have enough charge to start. So I am need. Dealer has the factory battery in stock for 115.00. I'm going to look around locally today and find something.
Thanks for the responses.

_Snake_

Established Member
Braille 2317 was what my friend recommended. He's a Braille distributor in Tampa if you're interested.

senderofan

Established Member
I have faced the same problem...now for two years in a row. Last spring the OEM battery crapped out. Found another lead acid to replace it while I was waiting for my Odyssee PC 1200 to arrive. That lead acid replacement lasted until this spring and is dead. The Odyssee is an amazing battery...and would outlast any lead acid out there. The problem is.....it's significantly smaller than the OEM battery. Also, mine has the metal case...so the edges are rounded and the whole case is smooth. The factory hold down and strap will not work with the Odyssee. I need to fabricate some sort of spacers and then use something like this: http://www.americanmuscle.com/moroso-battery-cover-0514.html It is my hypothesis that heat exposure from running on the track is drastically shortening the life of a regular lead acid battery....in my Boss.

And as far as Odyssee's being built for the long run...I had a pair of the metal case Odyssee's in my diesel pickup for nearly ten years ( traded the truck off with them still in ) and never had one lick of trouble. They are built to withstand abuse and extremes of temperature. Just have to figure out how to mount them some times.

Wayne

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks guys... Well I ended up with a stock replacement battery. I'm going to keep an eye out though for something lighter for down the road....

Users who are viewing this thread