What bolt on perfomace mods are an improvment?

chrisheltra

Established Member
Without adding FI or Nitrous. What bolt on mods are beneficial to more power and more seat of the pants feel?

So far I have a tune and and a lethal o/r x pipe on the way. Deleted resonators and magnaflow mufflers are already done. Other than that all I have is a drop in K&N air filter in the stock box.

Ive been told that a CAI and BOSS manifold isnt worth the trouble so what other bolt on mods besides these can be done to make the car faster?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
an aluminum drive shaft and a good set of drag radials i think will make the biggest difference. e85 should also net some decent gains. im a fan of the boss intake manifold and that's what i would go with along with e85 and 47# injectors.

Tyler72

Established Member
I don't care what other people say, I picked up 12 HP & 8 ft lbs at the tires with the Air Aid carbon fiber intake. I installed & dynoed it myself.

Couldn't help you on the Boss intake since my car came from the factory with it.

125oh

Established Member
I also have the boss intake . Still on the fence with it . Member you have to spin it around 7500rpms. But I agree with drag radials . But also a set of gears would def be felt on the butt dyno

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Boss manifold helps t the track and racing no doubt about that, street driving you miss a bit of Tq, but I'd still say a manifold upgrade is worth it, it really all depends on the tuning

DIB5.0

Established Member
Since your car is a DD gears depending what you have now and a set of LT's.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Tune. Tune. Tune. Than tires sticky tires and a 2 stage launch.. also I agree with the cold air .. I have had the stock air box on and off no less than 6 times just testing it with butt dyno.. and I know it helps, maybe not on the dyno but part throttle to full throttle romps.. like roll racing the stock box lags

Witt

Established Member
Since you already have a tune and aren't looking for the best "bang for the buck mod" Nitrous, the answer is definitely tires.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Neither of these will benefit me because I dont plan on racing the car. Thats what the truck is for. :rolling:

I have 3:73's

Then leave it the way it is LOL. If you don't race it there is no need for anything more that what this cars come with.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Ditch the K&N drop in filter, as SID proved here on SVTP it actually makes the car lose power.

If you don't want to get a DS, then a tune would be the next best thing I would recommend. These cars will become night and day over stock with just a tune alone.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Since you have a tune and o/r pipe on the way your only other mod you will feel is LT
headers. You could put in 4.10's.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
TUNE-OFF ROAD PIPE-DRIVESHAFT Were the absolute money makers for me

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Ditch the K&N drop in filter, as SID proved here on SVTP it actually makes the car lose power.

If you don't want to get a DS, then a tune would be the next best thing I would recommend. These cars will become night and day over stock with just a tune alone.

He also showed a 11rwhp gain with the airaid that everyone says is BS. So who knows in real dd driving.

86merc

Established Member
I don't care what other people say, I picked up 12 HP & 8 ft lbs at the tires with the Air Aid carbon fiber intake. I installed & dynoed it myself.

Couldn't help you on the Boss intake since my car came from the factory with it.

Did you dyno it with the hood open? Drew and I saw 10-12 rwhp gains with the hood open. When we closed the hood the gains were only a hp or two. I think the limiting factor is the small inlet tube that is behind the grill.

A dyno doesn't replicate driving down the road, so who knows what the real world gains are. I an Airaid kit on my car. But for someone on a tight budget I would say save the money on a cold air kit. That money could be used towards a set of headers that will show a good improvement in torque and hp.

OP, the Ford engineers did a great job with these motors. They do not leave a lot of room for improvement with bolt ons. Which is good because you get a lot for your money and don't have to spend lots of cash upgrading. But leaves us restless when we have that mod bug. lol I am guilty as well.

I am not sure what your goals are or what the intended use of the car is, but I think the only worth while options at this time is headers and maybe the CJ intake. Both are pricey but have been proven to show good gains. Or you could look at ways to make the car more efficient with the power you already have. Suspension, tires, driveshaft, light weight rotros and so on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread