What causes a "chattering clutch"?

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
I'm almost positive that my clutch is chattering. At first i thought it might be one of the cats but it is more isolated to the trans case. I've had it for a couple months but i dont drive the car very often due to the weather. I have it scheduled to go in on tues to get looked at.

Anyway I dont run the car hard from dead stops or do high rpm dumps. i'm more of a second and third gear pull guy. Can normal wear and tear cause this or do you think it was warped? It has no problem grabbing but its noisy, mostly in third gear but I can it rev it while parked i can hear it just as loud. Or do i need to go turbo?

jimh

Established Member
Go turbo! Just kidding.

It's not clutch chatter if you hear while you are reving from a stand still. Clutch shatter is the result of the clutch disc kind of bouncing or skipping as it engauges(sp?). It would be more noticable in first than in any other gear because there is much more slip going on because the engine if reving at, for example, 1000 rpm and the trans internals are not spinning at all yet.

You'd feel it too. It would feel almost like wheel hop. If you just hear it it's probably something else.

What does it sound like? Banging, clicking, knocking, rattleing, creaking, marbles, etc...? Could be a cat. can you move the exhaust around near the trans? Is is an aftermarket exhaust?

jim

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
I told the dealer that it is either the cats or the clutch. Hopefully its the cats because they are stock and there is no way for me to screw those up. i do have Mgnaflow catback. It sounds like the guard on one of the cats might be loose but it increases in speed directly with rpm and doesnt give off that exhaust leak sound when rpms drop. Its definately isolated to withing six inxhes of the cats and trans case.

FKing1

Established Member
My 04 clutch has chattered slightly in first gear from day one. I know clutch chatter when I feel it. A previous post said the owner questioned dealer who said most all the 03/04 do this and could do nothing to fix.
Fred K.

Users who are viewing this thread