What causes buildup on the pads?

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
I've searched and couldn't find the answer

I'm new to the PC and everything has gone very well so far except for buildup on the pads, specifically orange pads, and want to find out what I'm doing wrong or if this is normal.

I've watched the various 'how to' vids and could be using too little product but I am working the polish until it breaks down. Could I be overworking?

Tried SSR 2.5 and OP on orange pads and they both cake up about 1/2 - 2/3 way through the vehicle. It happens towards the center half of the pad and I'm using the 6.5" curved edge Lake Country pads from SMP. The white pads aren't having near the problem. I tried using the pads dry and with a small spray of Mothers QD first with no difference.

SVECobraR

Established Member
I've never had such problem, but i think probably your working it in too much and its dusting up in the center. Also you may not be applying enough pressure.

Jim D.

Established Member
It sounds like the product isnt breaking down enough and caking on the surface. With the curved-edge, variable-contact pad, the whole pad is not in contact with the surface, so you might need to work it better.

You could also be using too little product, since you seem to be aware that this might be part of your problem.

A little more experimentation on these two issues might help your problem.

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Thanks for your replys

I'm having very little dusting with the SSR and none with the Optimum line if that helps

I'll try a little more polish or compound next time and try working it even more

Also, Jim D. you might very well be right about the curved pads and the center not being in full contact with the surface at all times. Think I'll try one of the consistent, non-variable surface area pads to see if that helps at all

Scott P

Established Member
The Orange Pads are a light cutting pad, so it is a different texture and pore size than the white pad. That may be the problem. Also, make sure you aren't using too much polish. Work at speed 5-6 or so to make sure you are working the polish fully.

ROADKILL

Established Member
I have found that cleaning the pads in the kitchen sink with hot water throught the sprayer thingy works really well. I put the sprayer in direct contact with the pad and all hot water for the first pass. Next I turn max hot and cold to get more pressure and do it again. With the sprayer in contact with the pad it doesnt splatter water all over the place. I tried some mild soap at first, but it took forever to wash the soap out of the pads. I just stick with the water and they come out perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread