What causes the buzzing/humming from the speakers!?!

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
My car does this intermittently, it started randomly a couple months ago but does it more frequently now. I have read other threads with other cars doing this. Basically when the car is on, I get a humm coming through the speakers. I can turn my radio off and it still does it, it gets louder and changes pitch when fluctuating the rpm's but stops once its over about 2,000 or so rpms.
Doesn't matter if the car is idling or driving, it will continue. Then it eventually goes off.

What the hell? Is it related to the stereo amps, a ground, alternator?

Idea's appreciated :beer:

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
I would like to see other idea's before replacing my alternator but yea oneSICsvt, mine started just doing it a couple times, and now it does it all the time!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Usually interference comes from a bad ground some where.. Usually it will change pitch the higher RPM you are. Or you will just here it at high RPMs. Check your ground on the car and wire brush your terminals. Also, your radio ground. Good luck!!

Alex

redstang98

slooooooow
Established Member
I don't know about with the radio turned off, but at least if you hear any noise/hum with the volume all the way down it means that the interference is coming in through the power or ground circuits of the radio. A way to fix this is to wrap shielding tape around the power and ground circuits. If that helps but doesn't totally get rid of the hum, then you would wrap a ground strap(exposed metal mesh kind like attached to your hood) in with the shielding tape(not spliced to the wire) and attach one end of it to ground.

Since your problem happens with the radio turned off I can't say that the above will fix your issue. Maybe yours has to do with the power and ground circuits of your amplifiers.

Last edited:

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
im on my 3rd alt and its always done it on my car

So your saying even after changing the alternators it still remained?

Usually interference comes from a bad ground some where.. Usually it will change pitch the higher RPM you are. Or you will just here it at high RPMs. Check your ground on the car and wire brush your terminals. Also, your radio ground. Good luck!!

Alex

Where is the ground on the car located and the radio ground? I will check them tomorrow if someone can give me locations....

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
check your grounds..... battery,ground strap, alternator connections,head unit, amplifiers ....
just try and set a ground wire on your head unit and amplifiers in a different spot(chassis) and see if it changes something.
if none of these work go to an electronic shop(radioshack,best buy) and ask for a filter that is usually installed on the feed wires.that filter is actually a capacitor that will absorbe some of that noise.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
I don't know about with the radio turned off, but at least if you hear any noise/hum with the volume all the way down it means that the interference is coming in through the power or ground circuits of the radio.

Thats pretty much it. Anytime you have a power wire running along your speaker wires you run the risk of getting that humm. Best thing to do is make sure your radio is grounded but also pull your radio out and make sure you dont have a power lead bunched together with you speakers.

Also if you have a BAP or aftermaket amps make sure your power wire isnt running down the side of your car and crossing speaker leads and/or the amps.

As an installer I would always run power & ground on one side of the car and speaker wire on the other.

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
I have all stock radio components, amps, head unit etc. To get to the radio ground I assume I need to pull out the CD player?

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
Haha no I almost never have the radio past halfway.... The only time I have is if the humming is going on and starts to drive me crazy!

I wish I knew what the hell I was doing when it comes to audio components I bet any of you savvy audio guys could hop in my car and have it gone in an hour or less

Users who are viewing this thread