What causes this type of pad wear?

Dave07

Established Member
I was getting a nice squeaking on my 2013 Mustang from the driver side rear, at first going over bumps and then all the time. I decided to remove the tires and check things out. Well my brake pads looked like this:

e7e6b1179fe36860199cab8cd3fb793b.jpg
4320838bd7818439cf316890badeeaec.jpg

Only the outer drivers side pad was worn down like the one in the picture. All the other pads looked normal. I bought some new pads and cleaned up the slider pins then re-greased them and put everything back together.

Anyone know what would cause this?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Looks like the the caliper wasn't sliding on the pins well. If that's the case the piston is only really pushing on one pad.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I had that issue when my slide pins got all gunked up. Took em out and bought new pins, haven't had a problem since

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
How do I make sure that doesn't happen again? Should I get new slide pins?

Sorry didn't see the response.
Yeah get the hardware kit with new pins/boots, Autozone used to stock them. I replace them when ever I do pads they're like $10-15. Make sure to clean the all gunk and what not out of the holes the pins sit in with brake cleaner and wire brush if you find one that fits. Then grease everything with quality brake grease.

Dave07

Established Member
Thanks guys. I replaced the slide pins and re-greased everything. What type of grease are you guys using though? Do I need to use silicone? I used some Permatex green and the bottle said that it was safe on rubber. Then I read some reviews online that it ate through the rubber caliper pin boots.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Thanks guys. I replaced the slide pins and re-greased everything. What type of grease are you guys using though? Do I need to use silicone? I used some Permatex green and the bottle said that it was safe on rubber. Then I read some reviews online that it ate through the rubber caliper pin boots.

I don't know anything about the Permatex grease other than it's pricey.

Use any NLGI #2 high temp grease, I use Mystic red #2 it's good for +500 degree applications.

You can get a 14oz cartridge at Tractor Supply for $3.

Users who are viewing this thread