What causes this?

Silver03

Established Member
What causes this? I have had this tune forever and have never seen my car do this on the dyno. No matter what tweeks were made with the predator, all the runs take this same dip at 5500 RPM.

These runs were in 105* heat and about 6% humidity but IAT2 temps stayed under 150, which is where the tune is set to cut timing.

TIA

722graph.jpg

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
To tune the car you need to tune the MAS AIR not the fuel!!!!!!!
What does the Mas Volts say? are you pushing 5.v????

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
If you peg the MAF sensor the car goes lean. That looks like classic belt slip to me. That explains the loss in power up top (drop in boost) and why the AFR goes rich up top.

What pulley set up are you running?

Are you running an idler pulley?

Have you datalogged boost on the dyno? I bet it takes a dump up top.

May want to get a new belt.

May want to use a smaller belt.

May want to get a new pulley.

Silver03

Established Member
Thanks Chonger. This run shown is on a 2.93/4lb. Using an upper idler and the belt length puts the tensioner right where it is supposed to be. I was not aware that you could datalog boost, thats good to know, I'll take a look at that.

Silver03

Established Member
Yep, BF non slip. I've had the pulleys for awhile and this is the third trip to the dyno with this combo. Again, never seen it do this before.

Juiced-03

Established Member
optionblkblower said:
If your pushing 5V on the mas air then your pegging your meter.

I doubt he would be pegging the MAF that early in the RPM range, especially on the Eaton. Maybe after 6000, but not before in my experience.

I would probably say belt slip, or maybe spark blowout?

Silver03

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I doubt he would be pegging the MAF that early in the RPM range, especially on the Eaton. Maybe after 6000, but not before in my experience.

I would probably say belt slip, or maybe spark blowout?

Yep, only seeing about 4.7 volts max on the MAF. Good point on the spark blowout. Is there anyway to tell by inspecting the plugs if blowout is occurring?

RJCobra

Established Member
Looks like belt slip. When the belt slips you get less boost and therefore less air, causing a dip in power and A/F ratio. I'm not sure spark blowout would cause the dip in the A/F

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I think it's belt slip, if you were pegging the MAF, the A/F would start tapering off on the lean side up top.

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
You can monitor blow out by sharp spikes in A/F - everytime your plugs blow out it will go 'pig rich' as the unburned fuel blows thru - also look for fast little sooty puffs out the exhaust. (they can be hard to see) This will not typically throw a misfire code (p0300?) as the computer thinks it actually"sparked"

I vote that you have belt slip - maybe you have to long of a belt and that is why even with idlers it may be slipping.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Silver03

Established Member
***Found the cause***

Cat Overtemp Protection is what was causing this. I knew it wasnt belt slip. :bash:

Thanks for the responses though, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread