What Defines "Rice"

bluestreak89

Established Member
I have been wondering what people would consider as a definition of rice. I know people usually refer to wings and spoilers, lots of decals, over extravagant body kits but there are some things that confuse me. :dw:

Is it anything non-american and non european?

Is it anything built in asian countries?
if yes then what about the foreign cars built in the u.s. and vice versa. :shrug:

Anything built in asia. This is the most consistent but I have seen neons referred to as rice and they are not built in asia but fit the profile of cars built for small people. The big wings dont help either. :bash:

Most people dont refer to supras as rice I guess because rice is considered as weak and slow but supras are not and have earned huge respect in the tuner world. But the 900 hp evo is still considered by many as rice :shrug:

Old GTO fans consider the new GTO as riced out!

Saturns have been referred to as rice even though they are a gm company. :kaboom:

EnglishAdam

Established Member
The definitions are becoming blurred but to me RICE is

1. Giant coffee can exhaust tip on a standard diameter system.

2. Massive spoilers/wings/aero effects on something that cannot go fast enough to warrant them.

3. Uneccesary Monster Tach or other gauges that have no function.

4. Decals of equipment you don't have (Nawwwwwwwz or TypeR stickers)

5. Stupidly large wide rims

6. Any form of neon or led lighting.

7. Lexarse type tail lights

8. Claiming you can run an 11 if you only went to the track

9. Stupid audio equipment

10. Anything else I don't like an isn't a RWD Ford product :pepper:

Nhoj

Head Lackey
Established Member
"Rice" is an attitude. It's based on trying to be something you're not.

We've all heard the kids with the Civics yammering on about how fast thier ride is and how it can beat this Mustang and that Camaro and all they have is an "inatek and exhaust". Which amounts to an aluminum tube directly above the exhaust manifold and a big, polished muffler.

In other words, "rice" is about the kids who are more wrapped up in themselves and thier image rather than who they really are. It doesn't even have to be about cars although that seems to be where the most extreme "ricer" attitudes propagate. Then again, I have been on forums and newsgroups about things like computer software/hardware, audio equipment and even boats where the "ricer" attitude is there but nobody is identifying it as "ricer". Usually they just call them assholes, pricks or whatever other name you'd feel is appropriate. The whole culture is built around it. They all say they are just being different but how can you be different in a pack of 100 other people...just like you?

Anyhow, I've seen all kinds of "rice". I see them in the mall parking lots, down at the diner, over at the local street racing hot spots and even at the track. They do thier best to attract attention to themselves. The cars are flashy, thier clothing is "extreme", they are loud, boisterous and obnoxious and they generally behave without consideration for others around them. They have an air of sophmoric arrogance and will not hesistate to belittle another person who is not "like them" just to rationlize thier own choices in lifestyle. "Rice" comes in all flavors, the brandname on the badge of the car or the country of origin is not nearly as important as it would seem. I've seen the Civics, Sentras, Accords and so on but I've also seen Mustangs, Camaros, even pickup truck "rice".

The term "rice" entered the language in the late 60's and early 70's when Japanese companies started importing cars to the U.S. The cars were reffered to as "rice burners" because of thier country of origin. As they grew in popularity, they gained a larger following among the baby-boomers. Since they tended to last a long time, many baby-boomers passed those cars on to thier children. Since there is a tendency for the kids to not want what thier parents had, they made an effort to customize thier cars and personalize them. The aftermarket picked up on this and started making parts and marketing them to those kids with the "parent's cars". Many old "hot rodders" saw this as silly because they had no percieved value in a "throw away car". So they began mocking the young kids and calling them "ricers" and "rice burners" and so on. It was tagged to mainly Asian imports because the American companies didn't have small cars like that and the Europeans did have small cars but they were often well out of the financial reach of a teenager. Soon, the Americans followed and you got Saturn, Geo, Dodge, Ford and Plymouth in on the small car market. The attitude came out of those same kids who desired to be accepted by the older guys. They were looking for approval and a desire to be on the same level as what they percieved as thier peers. Any young kid in the hrows of puberty, on the verge of being a full-fledged adult goes through this. So they started bragging and talking smack to make things seem different than they were. Some did show up the old guys and go and make really fast "ricers". Most just added "bling" and talked trash. Hence the poor perception. It started out fairly innocently but it's been perpetuated by poor behavior on both sides of the coin.

So, in short, "rice" is about denying yourself and trying to be something you're not.

BTW, people fascinate me. I can sit in a public place and watch various groups and demographics interact all day long. The best places to watch people and how they interact is a mall, a restaurant with an open atmosphere like a diner or a fast-food joint or the race track. You will find all walks of life clashing in places like those and it is just stunning to see how similar and blind to the world around them people really are!

And EnglishAdam, don't knock the audio, man! I agree that the excessivly loud bass is a nuisance but I'm a fan of high quality audio reproduction and it's one of my more expensive hobbies. If I live closer to England, I'd give you a demostration but it'd be hard to drive across the pond.

bluestreak89

Established Member
large wheels are more ghetto than rice like the impalas on 24's and 26's i wouldnt say are rice.

the best rice is the car that is all painted but the door, all painted but the body kit or like 3 different colors.

saturns are domestic rice.

anything made by pimp my ride is "RICGHETT" rice and ghetto like the tv's in the fenders LMAO!!!!!! oh oh and the fish tank, the chandelier (THEY PUT A BRASS CHANDELIER IN SOMEONES CAR!!!!) they put a electric coathanger in another car i dont even know what to call that. and the microphone where the guy who couldnt sing was singing and exibit had the boo boo face LMAO.

what about the mexican cultured rides, they have their own niche. the cursive names and lettering on the pickup. The 20" chrome wheels on the full size conversion van. the chrome door trim, and to think I put that on my tercel a while back.

It's turning into a melting pot of cultures where muscle rice and ghetto are coming together just like the various races to eliminate the pure races. I dont mind it it's just funny to me. If you are poor but love your car you are going to do something that makes it look sound or drive better in your own impression. I just dont like people who impose or look down on others for being different.

I would buy tons of cars that are considered as rice including rx-7's, 350's, rx-8, supras etc . i think a lot of people just find reasons not to like others. Like even among the obviously not rice you have ford vs chevy vs dodge and every one calls everyone else cheap and low quality. You have bimmer vs benz. Its just rediculous!! Let other people do what the hell they want with the car they are paying for. Every style has to represent something and most of the times it never ends up being the real ownerbut the culture they are exposed to.

Last edited:

pipe

*pee* ~pay~
Established Member
rice is when you see a car with type r badges, nx or nos decals, all types of stuff claiming that the car is fully modified(and looks like one), but in reality it is not.

I don't think 20" rims on a minivan, 24s on a caprice, bright colorful colors or wird paint jobs,spining hubcaps, neon lights, and weird bodykits is rice. its just bad taste.

big spoilers and mufflers only become rice when the person claims and believes that it will actually make him go fast. otherwise, because everyone knows that they don't help with the hp and speed at all, they bacome items of bad taste.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Hey, I already received hate mail for buying an accord coupe. Im very from far rice, an avid ford fan, only problem was I couldnt afford the car or the insurance that I wanted. In a few months im going to slap a turbo, or sc system on this bia, already spoke to some custom shops.. Right now I have tints, and an intake, that is all. I would never put a wing on it, I got the factory one deleted actually :] Only mods I have planned so far is an exhaust, and some wider tires/rims. Want to keep it clean, and make it faster. The 06 accord runs high 13s in manual, and low 14s auto... Unfortunately I got the auto, but its still a respectable car. I have fun putting civics, and rsx`s in their place at night, but I never mess around with the big boys.. I know my capabilities. I am mainly a 3 series hunter. I hate kids who think their 325s, and 330 coupes are fast. So in essence im a ricer, hunting other ricers!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I think rice is an attitude more than the car. This is my DD but I don't consider it rice because I don't rev at people or try to race anyone. I simply put a bunch of stickers on it because I thought it was damn funny since its like the lowest horsepower car ever offered. I still laugh to myself everyday when I walk out and get in it to go to work. I always get a kick thinking about how many people think I actually have all that shit in the car too. I actually had a guy ask me once if I did all that work to my car. I just started laughing and said, "Hell no, its just a joke!"

DDRR.jpg

DDFR.jpg

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
rice is simply parts on a car that are to make the car look faster then it is and are not functional, a park bench spoiler is rice since it's mostly on cars that doesn't reach speeds above 80. Something like brand stickers of parts that aren't really installed on the car are also rice. On the other hand something like tail lights or ugly paint are not rice, it's just ugly tacky shit. People are too loose with the word rice. Also if it's german it's kraut.

DEAD EYE

You must defeat Shenglong
Established Member
Political correctness has infiltrated the performance car scene. A long time ago rice was ANYTHING from Japan.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Look up river on google, there should be a site that comes up that says....You know your a ricer if..... lol and its funny.

One of my favs is you knwo your a river if at a stop light you put your auto in neutral to roll back.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
i think rice is more of an attitude. like 85% attitude of the driver and 15% on the parts on the car.

Situation #1: if the driver has vinyl all over, huge spoiler, etc etc etc but if you actually talk to him and he is like "oh yea i know my car isnt fast i just think this stuff looks cool/good" whatever. i dont really consider that rice if the driver knows those things dont make his car fast and he doesnt lie about it "oh yea its a special model and its got a T304834G Turbo and its running a LMER intercooler" then i dont consider it "rice". he's not a ricer you just may think he has awful taste in what looks good, it doesnt make him a ricer

Situation #2: but if he is lying off his ass "oh yea i got 5 turbos, and i run 9.4 in the 1/4 mile" and its pretty obvious that he doesnt have those parts and is lying about his ET then i consider him a "ricer"

so in conclusion if he lies about his car parts and lies about its performance than he is a "ricer" but if fully knows and admits those parts dont really make him faster and he just likes the way they look he just has bad taste

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
BlackBolt9 said:
I think rice is an attitude more than the car. This is my DD but I don't consider it rice because I don't rev at people or try to race anyone. I simply put a bunch of stickers on it because I thought it was damn funny since its like the lowest horsepower car ever offered. I still laugh to myself everyday when I walk out and get in it to go to work. I always get a kick thinking about how many people think I actually have all that shit in the car too. I actually had a guy ask me once if I did all that work to my car. I just started laughing and said, "Hell no, its just a joke!"

DDRR.jpg

DDFR.jpg

I'll bet your DD would kick my DD's ass.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
my definition of rice.......................

v-6 f-bodies and mustangs with a flowmaster catback :smmon:

bluestreak89

Established Member
does the trunk lid on that viper even close? It looks like the wing is in the trunk. And the exhaust is the worst ever like 6 ports and big ones at that.

Rdslightning

Black Is The Fastest.
Established Member
mc01svt said:
my definition of rice.......................

v-6 f-bodies and mustangs with a flowmaster catback :smmon:

Look i dont even think they sould sell these in a V6. Aut it kills me to see one with a Fart can on it. But what bothers me more is the attitude when they think they have the fastest thing. NO offense if you have one but i dont think you act like it the best thing.
As far as foriegn cars being rice. IDK. I rather enjoy when someone pulls next to me in a Civic with a lawnmower engine and an aeroplane ducktapped to the trunk. To me its a blast just knowing i can toast them in a pick-up. I actually sell Subaru's for a living and IMHO I think that the STI is not really rice. But i do think that ppl that take the WRX and make it look the STI is rice its just an attutide thing. The question is
Can the car back up what its showing?
If the answer is yes then its not rice.
If the answer is no then point and laugh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread