What did you do to your Cobra today?

iamtheshaner

IH84DZ
Established Member
Installed K member, control arms, konis, coil overs, plates, braces, spindles, hubs, steering shaft, driveshaft, 5 link, lower control arms, springs, 3inch studs and test fit new brakes.

Now if I could only find staggered 18" concave 5 spokes that will clear the brakes and not poke out beyond the fender...

IMAG0029%209.jpg.html

Last edited:

iamtheshaner

IH84DZ
Established Member
They are too large and I can't resize them right now. Guess I'll be deleting my photobucket account, what good does it serve if I can't host photos to 3rd parties??

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
They are too large and I can't resize them right now. Guess I'll be deleting my photobucket account, what good does it serve if I can't host photos to 3rd parties??

It was several months ago that Photobucket changed their policies on linking on 3rd party sites. Broke like every build thread on the internet.

I'd suggest you use Imgur to host your pictures. It works so much better.

srtlat

Established Member
Just did driver side strut, sway bar links, subframe bushings and ball joint.
Going to do the other side next weekend.

It's nice working at ones owns pace.

ForcFed93

Established Member
I always hear about people scoring these amazing deals on used parts. I'm always envious of those people because I can never seem to find such great deals. Today, however... Well, today was my day.

I scored a 1999 Cobra IRS, complete with the recall already done, a set of 1999 Cobra wheels with excellent tires, a brand new FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and a full set of Steeda IRS springs all for $775.

The IRS is all stock, but for the deal I got, I wasn't about to complain. The plan is to replace subframe bushings, control arm bushing, diff mount bushings, and POSSIBLY cross axis bushings. Anyone have any other suggestions (aside from gears/diff)?

4bL6Pfv.jpg

PPDCrSI.jpg

Attachments

• PPDCrSI.jpg
    PPDCrSI.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 165

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I always hear about people scoring these amazing deals on used parts. I'm always envious of those people because I can never seem to find such great deals. Today, however... Well, today was my day.

I scored a 1999 Cobra IRS, complete with the recall already done, a set of 1999 Cobra wheels with excellent tires, a brand new FRPP aluminum driveshaft, and a full set of Steeda IRS springs all for $775.

The IRS is all stock, but for the deal I got, I wasn't about to complain. The plan is to replace subframe bushings, control arm bushing, diff mount bushings, and POSSIBLY cross axis bushings. Anyone have any other suggestions (aside from gears/diff)?

View attachment 1462353
View attachment 1462354
If you can, replace all the bushings with the kit from FTBR. Depending on what you want to do you could upgrade to 03-04 halfshafts, Ford Racing cover, etc.
The cross axis joints aren’t bushings but if the boots are still there and there isn’t any play just leave them be.
There’s a lot you can do to it just depends on what you want to spend and what your goals are for it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ForcFed93

Established Member
If you can, replace all the bushings with the kit from FTBR. Depending on what you want to do you could upgrade to 03-04 halfshafts, Ford Racing cover, etc.
The cross axis joints aren’t bushings but if the boots are still there and there isn’t any play just leave them be.
There’s a lot you can do to it just depends on what you want to spend and what your goals are for it.

I ordered poly control arm bushings, poly subframe bushings, FTBR cross axis joints (one side was torn, the other was fine), and bilstein IRS shocks.

I'm not going to be doing hard launches or drag racing with it, so I didn't see the need to shell out the money for delrin bushings. And when I do the gears, I'm also going to do a torsen T2 (or T2R) along with a FRPP cover and that's not in the budget, so I'm going to wait for a bit on that.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I ordered poly control arm bushings, poly subframe bushings, FTBR cross axis joints (one side was torn, the other was fine), and bilstein IRS shocks.

I'm not going to be doing hard launches or drag racing with it, so I didn't see the need to shell out the money for delrin bushings. And when I do the gears, I'm also going to do a torsen T2 (or T2R) along with a FRPP cover and that's not in the budget, so I'm going to wait for a bit on that.

Sounds like you got the plan together! At some point I would like to try road course racing so I’m using delrin.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96GT226410

Established Member
Just went for a ride with a friend's brother in his 97 Cobra to help him diagnose something. He was lowered with cheap eBay springs and SR shocks and struts. I was actually surprised. The ride was firm, but not harsh, with no noises. I'm thinking about picking up a set of fox stuff body SR shocks and struts for mine and skipping the Eibach or Koni sets I was looking at. Anyone else running the SR shocks and struts?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Never tried the SR stuff, but I only go with major brands on my my car.
I always skip the cheaper stuff, why buy the same part twice?

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Who's coilover kit? Is it quiet?
It's just the UPR kit. With the LW shocks it is way quieter. I also changed the spacing a bit. If I am going 70 and hit a pot hole it's more of a slam sound then with the stock suspension. It's still not bad at all. Normal driving it is great.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Nice Mystic! What tire sizes are you running? Are you lowered?

Thanks man! Ya it’s lowered 2 inches. I widened a set of Le Mans style Saleen a to 10.5 in the rear. It’s got 305/35 Toyos RRRs on the back and 275/40s on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread