What did you do to your Cobra today?

96GT226410

Established Member
Finally got it delivered! 1998 crystal white Cobra convertible with 118K miles. Only mod is a JLT intake. Even has the factory mufflers. The engine sounds bad, like a spun bearing and also a wrist pin knock. It's really clean, everything works (besides the engine), and no rust! My goal is to build up the shortblock to handle boost and eventually a blower or turbo putting down 450 - 475 RWHP. She's not my DD, but I'm sure I'll be driving her a lot in the summer. Current plan is an engine overhaul, mid pipe, cat back, and shifter. I'm sure other things will pop up when I have the engine out (clutch, MMR head cooling mod, etc.). After the purchase and delivery of the car I have about $4,000 to work with. If I can get it running for that I'd be happy. Now I have to decide on buying a shortblock (any recommendations?) or building what I have. The heads will be kept stock at this time, just new valve seals, valve guides, and lash adjusters.

Anyone know of a complete engine for sale to drop in her to speed up the down time? I see stock engines on eBay for $2,000 and over and I'd rather spend more for a forged engine. Thanks!

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
After the purchase and delivery of the car I have about $4,000 to work with. If I can get it running for that I'd be happy. Now I have to decide on buying a shortblock (any recommendations?) or building what I have.

Use the stock block and crank. Find a set of used Manley/SVT rods and new pistons; for cheap but good go Manley. Have the heads checked, cams degree'd. Last, find a used Vortech or Procharger.

Sent from Josh's sparkly pocket

96GT226410

Established Member
Use the stock block and crank. Find a set of used Manley/SVT rods and new pistons; for cheap but good go Manley. Have the heads checked, cams degree'd. Last, find a used Vortech or Procharger.

Sent from Josh's sparkly pocket

That's what I was trying to do. I can find Termi rods pretty easily, but the machine work on my block and crank and all of the extra small parts puts a huge hit on my budget. If I can find a complete engine to speed up the down time of do that and spend a little more. Then I could sell my stock stuff to offset a little of the cost.

Martin6107

Established Member
My 96 convertible was treated to new TMI foam and Saddle leather seats 2 years ago. I installed seat heater pads along with the leather, but did not have time actually wire the switches in. Today I finally installed a repainted 99 console that I fixed up with a relay and switches to power the seat heaters. These will be awesome for night cruising with the top down.

20170312_155412B.jpg

cheaneyt

Established Member
3a71829ecbcb659f6791b08b792eb7fe.jpg
o2 extentions for the longtubes. Drove er no codes and man I can't wait for clutch to be broke in she's nasty

sent from somewhere,while in my cobra.

Snakeman

Established Member
i looked in the engine bay and considered what else i need to remove from the engine before it'll come out. i'm thinking the a/c and ps pump need to come off and the egr tube looks like it'll be in the way.

96GT226410

Established Member
i looked in the engine bay and considered what else i need to remove from the engine before it'll come out. i'm thinking the a/c and ps pump need to come off and the egr tube looks like it'll be in the way.

They both need to be unbolted from the engine and moved, but kept in the engine bay. Why are you removing the engine?

Snakeman

Established Member
They both need to be unbolted from the engine and moved, but kept in the engine bay. Why are you removing the engine?
i had a shop install new cams and within 100miles, the car started making some top-end rattling noise. it also smoked on startup, the mechanic says i should have told him it had been sitting a long time cuz that cracked the valve seals... also, upon changing the oil, i found half a steel washer attached to the magnetic oil pan bolt.

I'm tearing down the motor to verify proper assembly and making sure there's no more random metal bits floating around in there.

so, new valve seals is the main reason i'm removing the engine, i read that it's much simpler to do with the engine on a stand rather than in the engine compartment. the oil pan has to come off and i'm replacing the oil pump gears with billet pieces while in inspect the case for a source of that bit of washer and any damage it may have caused.

as i've been tearing it down, i did notice the valve stems on the intake are very dirty where the imrc plates were, which may have caused some stickiness and be responsible for the noise? so far that's all i have been able to find, everything else looks perfect.

the car has been sitting since the last guy worked on it back in 2003, so everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly.

oh, and i sent the vortech v1 to be upgraded to Si spec.

96GT226410

Established Member
i had a shop install new cams and within 100miles, the car started making some top-end rattling noise. it also smoked on startup, the mechanic says i should have told him it had been sitting a long time cuz that cracked the valve seals... also, upon changing the oil, i found half a steel washer attached to the magnetic oil pan bolt.

I'm tearing down the motor to verify proper assembly and making sure there's no more random metal bits floating around in there.

so, new valve seals is the main reason i'm removing the engine, i read that it's much simpler to do with the engine on a stand rather than in the engine compartment. the oil pan has to come off and i'm replacing the oil pump gears with billet pieces while in inspect the case for a source of that bit of washer and any damage it may have caused.

as i've been tearing it down, i did notice the valve stems on the intake are very dirty where the imrc plates were, which may have caused some stickiness and be responsible for the noise? so far that's all i have been able to find, everything else looks perfect.

the car has been sitting since the last guy worked on it back in 2003, so everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly.

oh, and i sent the vortech v1 to be upgraded to Si spec.

Are you removing the engine from the top or bottom?

Snakeman

Established Member
top. it's already partially disassembled, so i don't expect much trouble. i'm down to the last few bolts... bell housing, exhaust, a/c and p/s. i was hoping to find something obviously wrong with it by the time i got this far.

96GT226410

Established Member
top. it's already partially disassembled, so i don't expect much trouble. i'm down to the last few bolts... bell housing, exhaust, a/c and p/s. i was hoping to find something obviously wrong with it by the time i got this far.

I have a noise in my engine, too. It sounds like it's in the driver's side head, but since it's aluminum it is hard to pinpoint. I'm going to remove the valve cover and look around. If I don't see anything I'll have to dig farther and probably pull the engine.

Snakeman

Established Member
i'd try spraying seafoam down the intake, well sucking it in via a vacuum hose, first. it sure can't hurt. is it a constant noise? does it change with rpm?

96GT226410

Established Member
i'd try spraying seafoam down the intake, well sucking it in via a vacuum hose, first. it sure can't hurt. is it a constant noise? does it change with rpm?

It actually gets pretty quiet (just a slight tap that's consistent with these engines) at idle, but over 1,000 RPM it knocks loud. I'm saying 95% it's a spun bearing, I just want to check the top of the engine first.

srtlat

Established Member
Pacesetter, and shop install. So far so good. Having pass side collector hit floor pan at times on bad bumps. Other than that it's awesome

What shop? Im in Missouri as well. Also can i ask the price of the install?

Also did you get a pacesetter mid pipe at all and how is the ground clearance?

96GT226410

Established Member
It actually gets pretty quiet (just a slight tap that's consistent with these engines) at idle, but over 1,000 RPM it knocks loud. I'm saying 95% it's a spun bearing, I just want to check the top of the engine first.

We'll, I removed the driver's valve cover today and checked it out. The boys sounds like it's coming from the valley. Looks like I'll be taking this engine out this spring.

collinselectric5

Established Member
Pacesetter, and shop install. So far so good. Having pass side collector hit floor pan at times on bad bumps. Other than that it's awesome

Did u get the sportlines installed? I still have my sportlines in the garage along with an off road xpipe, clutch etc. It's been too cold & my garage isn't insulated well lol

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

cheaneyt

Established Member
Did u get the sportlines installed? I still have my sportlines in the garage along with an off road xpipe, clutch etc. It's been too cold & my garage isn't insulated well lol

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Suspension is still in the trunk, it's been below freezing here and I don't have a garage sadly. So as soon as it warms up and isn't snowing lol. Have everything I need , just too cold. Even have a maximum motor sports control arm tool for easy front spring install.

Users who are viewing this thread