What did you do to your Ford today?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Replaced my alternator on my 20 Ford Raptor. Why do they have to be so far down?? Truck was throwing a million codes. The regulator was bad no doubt. It wouldn't charge at all unless I put a load on it and then it was hitting into the 15's. Installed the stock alt and all my issues went away. Time to send this Mechman370 back to them. I found this time that it is easier to remove a certain hose and bring the alt up through the bay than to take it down to the floor. I thought I had grabbed the stock 1" longer belt and tried to put on my Gates from my 04 Cobra that goes to the supercharger. Lord that did not work and was like a foot longer! Guess I need to trash that belt, won't be needed it! hahahaha

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
F150...
Nothing much, changed my oil. Usually, I don't bother with doing it myself like I use to but complications with my "go to" place had me knock it out. Seems like people don't want to go to work anymore. Changed the oil in my wife's Jeep Wrangler a week or two ago and it took all of 15 minutes. Her plug is low and unobstructed and oil filter is on top of engine. Our trucks are not so easy. Not to mention the poor design of oil plug being on top of the rear skid plate. Comes out great at first then drips on the pan. FTL. They should have made the plate you remove for the oil change a little bigger or provided some sort of path for the oil once it loses its initial pressure. Purchased the Fumoto drain valve which the plug alone extends past the plate but with the hose it should be a piece of cake now. I'll get to enjoy that luxury on the next oil change of course. They say the oil needs to be rather warm or this plug will take forever and a day. I had to remove the rear front bolts to pivot the skid plate down to tighten the drain plug FYI. Nothing will make removing the filter less messy, is what it is. Had my JLT on for a month or two now...got a good bit in it. FYI, this plug is only for the metal pan metal plug. The research I saw someone mentioned that changed some time in 2019 but not 100 on their statement. Several good drains for those pans however.

365164545_10160803428580928_7556778717924768826_n.jpg
363437703_10160803426160928_5348033514916256694_n.jpg
Fumoto.PNG

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We use those Fumoto drains on the trucks at work. 46qts of 15w-40 seems to drain just fine even if it's lukewarm.

My 18 2.7 has a plastic pan (IIRC) and yellow plastic plug that's a few inches long. Goofy/different, but effective I guess. No socket needed; you remove it by hand with a twist of maybe 180 degrees. But then it has the same issue where oil ends up on a crossmember.

The techs at Ford like to remove 3 of 4 of the 8mm bolts that hold the felt pan on. Then they loosen the fourth so they can just rotate it out of the way and access the plug. That's all fine and dandy, but the added stress ends up tearing out the back corners of the felt eventually. I reinforced mine with aluminum after they destroyed mine. Seems to be holding up (no pun intended) so far.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
We use those Fumoto drains on the trucks at work. 46qts of 15w-40 seems to drain just fine even if it's lukewarm.

My 18 2.7 has a plastic pan (IIRC) and yellow plastic plug that's a few inches long. Goofy/different, but effective I guess. No socket needed; you remove it by hand with a twist of maybe 180 degrees. But then it has the same issue where oil ends up on a crossmember.

The techs at Ford like to remove 3 of 4 of the 8mm bolts that hold the felt pan on. Then they loosen the fourth so they can just rotate it out of the way and access the plug. That's all fine and dandy, but the added stress ends up tearing out the back corners of the felt eventually. I reinforced mine with aluminum after they destroyed mine. Seems to be holding up (no pun intended) so far.
Hear the Ronin was a good plug for that pan. Saw some cheaper ones on Amazon as well. Good to hear about the liquid draining fast enough. When I was researching my options one guy bitched about it but his truck had cold oil in it. Who drains cold oil? He got destroyed a little.

Users who are viewing this thread