what do i do to get a title for a car?

Jman

Established Member
ok just trying to figure out on how to go about gettin a title to a car...
here's the deal, i live in NJ and theres a guy at the pizza place that wants to sell his car... now its a 68 firebird (really want a 73 mach) but cant beat the price, its got a 455 motor with a 400 turbo trans. he said its been sitting in his garage for the past 7 yrs he bought it back then from some guy who was getting a divorce but never got the title. now, how does this work? i thought that if you technically dont have the title to something then your SOL. but he said that you can go to DMV and they can issue a new one? is this possible or is it just BS. and if so, whats the turn around on something like that or how much of a fee? thanks....

DEVIL

Established Member
I don't know about Jersey, but you could get a title for storing it for all those years. I forgot the technical name, but it's pretty easy to do. Used to cost about $50. here, for a title search and stolen car check. The only drawback could be if there is a lien on the title.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
This is coming from a former title clerk(my wife)The car actually isnt the pizza guys guys car even if he gave the original owner money for the car. Since he never signed over the title to him the original owner still technically own the car. You have to have the original owner sign over the title to you or the pizza guy. If you have any chance of ownership. My wife has been out of title work for sometime but it actually makes sense if you think about it.Hope this helps

Jman

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Do yourself a favor and call the DMV in Trenton and ask them directly.
well it was 4th of july today and i posted it on the 3rd after dmv hours...
thank you captain obvious will do just that... but just asked in the meantime... i appreciate the responses...

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I believe on an older car like that you may just need a bill of sale. Call DMV though to be sure. -Mat-

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
Jman said:
well it was 4th of july today and i posted it on the 3rd after dmv hours...
thank you captain obvious will do just that... but just asked in the meantime... i appreciate the responses...
He's trying to keep you from wasting your time by trying what people think is the right answer and not the correct one:kaboom:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
He's trying to keep you from wasting your time by trying what people think is the right answer and not the correct one:kaboom:

Indeed, but no good deed goes unpunished.

Users who are viewing this thread