what do I need for 130mph traps?

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
suspension is cheap and it works man. get that hp to the ground and cut some sub 1.5 60FTs.

forget about going 130 at the traps....3200 pounds and 600rwhp can potentailly get you single digit ETs

500 bucks in suspension and your set

lakewood 90/10
lakewood 50/50
fox 4 cyl springs up front
summit racing uca/lca

good luck

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
suspension is cheap and it works man. get that hp to the ground and cut some sub 1.5 60FTs.

forget about going 130 at the traps....3200 pounds and 600rwhp can potentailly get you single digit ETs

500 bucks in suspension and your set

lakewood 90/10
lakewood 50/50
fox 4 cyl springs up front
summit racing uca/lca

good luck

well i really dont know. i guess well find out but as of right now the rearend is stock so that will have to go first. Im not a big drag racer but the rear wont be holding up much longer. im going to put in some strange adjustable shocks in the rear. Maybe I can get all that done then throw a set of big n littles on and see what it does. But really i dont race that much just wanted to get an idea of the trap speed.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
venomized03 runs low 10s @ 140 on a stock 8.8 28 spline with about 650 hp and around 3800 pounds
metalheads car has gone 11.1@130 on a stock 8.8 28 spline with just over 500 hp and also around 3800 pounds

Last edited:

Big turkey

Established Member
Get yourself some good tires regardless. With that light of a raceweight if you had some crappy all seasons, on a cold night you'd be all over the road.

Just for comparison's sake, the vid in my sig I went 131mph with a 134mph best, and my car was making 630whp and weighing in at 3855lbs.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
venomized03 runs low 10s @ 140 on a stock 8.8 28 spline with about 650 hp and around 3800 pounds
metalheads car has gone 11.1@130 on a stock 8.8 28 spline with just over 500 hp and also around 3800 pounds

you have 2 diff scenario's going here...you say get some low 1.5s but then say the stock rear is fine because of these times....when clearly these 2 cars are leaving pretty easy. prob to keep their stock axles alive.

my buddies 95 gt makes 300rwhp and pulls low 1.6s and has broken a few stock axles. they dont hold much when really trying to use them. once your rolling its easy...that initial shock is what does it

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
metal heads car has 60'd 1.6 on bone stock suspension
venomized has gone 1.5 on bone stock suspension
all with a stock 99-04 rear end and 3.55 gears

the rear end would allow the OP to REALIABLY get in the sub 1.5 60ft range but it will not hinder him from doing it on the stock rear. yes, it could break but that is a chance we all take and metalhead and venomized has proved that the stock rear can take it. they could lanch harder but they are sure as hell not taking it easy off the line. pretty sure some 5k rpm dumps have happened with both cars

also, the OP is quite a bit lighter then venomized (03 cobra vs 2v GT) and with olny about 50hp less and suspension there is NO reason why he shouldnt be able to 60ft just as good or better

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
good luck vs bad luck :shrug:

no...all in how you drive it imo. beating it trying to get all you cna out of it with 5500 clutch dumps is more wear and tear.

10s @ 140
11.1@130

these times vs et's show how easy they went out of the hole...or cant drive. 130s are good for mid to low 10s and 140s should be in the 9s.

Im just oging by what you have said. if they have gone 1.5's then I really hope they didnt run these times.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
no...all in how you drive it imo. beating it trying to get all you cna out of it with 5500 clutch dumps is more wear and tear.

10s @ 140
11.1@130

these times vs et's show how easy they went out of the hole...or cant drive. 130s are good for mid to low 10s and 140s should be in the 9s.

Im just oging by what you have said. if they have gone 1.5's then I really hope they didnt run these times.

ummmm...phil and jason are very very good drivers

EDIT - they are manuals, you have an auto. autos trap lower!

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
ummmm...phil and jason are very very good drivers

EDIT - they are manuals, you have an auto. autos trap lower!

im not talking about my car..Im tlaking about all cars. in general...et to mph is way off for those times...period.

auto's trap lower is a myth...my car trapped 125-127 in the stock and 128-130 in the auto...no more power.

Cobra Dude

Established Member
Get out there and practice coming off the line like a frog leaping. You don't want to loose traction during your 60' with wheel spin or wheel hop. Practice and get to know your car. Use soft or hard rubber based on track temperature.

mr2cam

Established Member
im not talking about my car..Im tlaking about all cars. in general...et to mph is way off for those times...period.

auto's trap lower is a myth...my car trapped 125-127 in the stock and 128-130 in the auto...no more power.

That's very strange, I have always known that autos cut a lot of ET off but almost always should lose MPH due to the converter eating up power.. Therefore you shouldn't have gained mph with the autoswap unless you either A) Sucked really bad at shifting or B) Somehow your car was lighter with the auto.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
That's very strange, I have always known that autos cut a lot of ET off but almost always should lose MPH due to the converter eating up power.. Therefore you shouldn't have gained mph with the autoswap unless you either A) Sucked really bad at shifting or B) Somehow your car was lighter with the auto.

ehh...i got the car to 10.98 @ 125 w/ the t-56 in october '06...Im not a super driver but I think the 10.98 was good. first pass in april '07 on the auto was a 10.95 @ 127...a gain of 2mph. plus if yo ulook at all the other mid to high 10 sec eaton cars...check their mph...all around 130s and similar weight. thats the rule of thumb I was always told too but just didnt hold true when the swap was actually done on the same car.

Ive always heard your supposed to trap higher on street tires than on slicks. most people do. I could never beat 123-124 on street tires w/ the 6 speed. slapped on the slicks and went 126-127 in the same night :shrug:

mr2cam

Established Member
ehh...i got the car to 10.98 @ 125 w/ the t-56 in october '06...Im not a super driver but I think the 10.98 was good. first pass in april '07 on the auto was a 10.95 @ 127...a gain of 2mph. plus if yo ulook at all the other mid to high 10 sec eaton cars...check their mph...all around 130s and similar weight. thats the rule of thumb I was always told too but just didnt hold true when the swap was actually done on the same car.

Ive always heard your supposed to trap higher on street tires than on slicks. most people do. I could never beat 123-124 on street tires w/ the 6 speed. slapped on the slicks and went 126-127 in the same night :shrug:

That's weird, on the change from auto to manual do you know if the DA was different? Also do you know what the weight of the car was before and after you changed from the T56 to the Auto? I trap a little slower on slicks then I do on my drag radials, my friend noticed that too when he switched from his M/T Drag Radials over to ET Drags, he lost 1mph in the 1/8th when he switched.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
That's weird, on the change from auto to manual do you know if the DA was different? Also do you know what the weight of the car was before and after you changed from the T56 to the Auto? I trap a little slower on slicks then I do on my drag radials, my friend noticed that too when he switched from his M/T Drag Radials over to ET Drags, he lost 1mph in the 1/8th when he switched.

was higher with the auto...the day in october I went it wa slke 38 degree's w/ a negative da...april was warmer..dont remember exactly. weight was similar...about 3500ish.

mr2cam

Established Member
was higher with the auto...the day in october I went it wa slke 38 degree's w/ a negative da...april was warmer..dont remember exactly. weight was similar...about 3500ish.

You wouldn't happen to have both the slips handy would you? I am not calling bs I am just interested now haha, it's always cool to see something new :-D

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
You wouldn't happen to have both the slips handy would you? I am not calling bs I am just interested now haha, it's always cool to see something new :-D

i would have to dig through a few hundred slips but can probably find them.

actually I lied....lol...now i remember...took forever to work all the kinks out in the auto and the first passes were in July. mph was the same

car #213..first auto passes...DA was 1519 according to Drag Times

07-21-07NEDSlips2.jpg

last passes on the 6 speed...DA was about -17 according to Drag times

7.01@100
[email protected]

video

Jakegoes1098at125andbreaks.flv video by BBBjake - Photobucket

bests for bests in october though...the auto has been faster in mph and et

slow2v

GONE
Established Member

i think a new thread should be opened to discuss this!

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member

10s @ 140
11.1@130

You really only have a small amount of info on both cars.

The launches werenot really EASY out of the whole, but they both could have left quite a bit harder.

The 10.2 @ 139 out of the whipple car was done with only a 1.6 60 ft
slip.jpg

There is a lot of room to improve the ET with a better launch.

As for the 11.1 @ 130, here are the slips from that day with a link to the thread:
Johns04CobraDH8t.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/time-slip-bar-42/552347-npb-friends-ported-eaton-04-cobra.html

As you can see most of the runs were in the 1.7-1.8 range. It was not my car and I was not driving it like it was, lol.

I was NOT powershifting it, just shifting very quickly. (besides, the car still has the PPRV and hesitates when powershifted).

I have not had a chance to get the car bck to the rack yet, but I know the owner would love to see me make the 10 second pass in it, so it will get launched a little harder next time.

I also feel that having only an upper pulley on the car is keeping the blower in its efficiency range and causing to pull very hard up top. When it gets a lower pulley, I am not expecting the trap to go up, but the ET should improve due to the stronger midrange.

Both cars that slow2v used for an example have close to stock suspension and have only made a few passes down the track in thier current combos.

It is not a myth. If a manual car is bieng driven to its MAXIMUM potential, and a non lock up auto is swapped in, the car will usually ET better and trap lower.

If an auto trans is swaped in with a lockup converter and the lockup function is used in top gear it wil trap similar to a manual car.

What trans do you have and is it a lock up?

Very true.

Last edited:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Here is the info from my best run. My car made 572rwhp at 20psi. I was running 18psi, so dyno # would have been 540rwhp. This was with the C4.
Date/Time
Date: 09/21/2007
Time: 10:22PM
Run Info
R/T: 0.037 (Sportman)
60': 1.787
330': 4.618
1/8 mile: [email protected] MPH
1000': 8.892
1/4 mile: [email protected] MPH
Track Info/Weather
Track Altitude: 900 feet