What do I need for a kb install

timlucken

Established Member
Want to buy a 2.6L kb
Is it carb legal in CA?
What exactly do I need to fully install the kit?

cj428mach

Established Member
A different blower manufacturer.

As far as supporting mods,
BAP
Injectors
MAF

Should do your basic pump gas setup. I think the 2.6 might be a little much for 91 octane.

03' White Snake

Established Member
CAI, Maf, Single blade TB ( this matters when you order your blower, it cannot be swapped later without buying a new plenum), an upgraded HE, injectors and a BAP.

I believe all KB blowers are CARB legal. They retain all OEM emissions stuff.

Basic hand tools are needed to install it. Sockets, wrenches, extensions, pry bar. A helping hand to help get the blower in place, it is not light. Shipping weight on my 2.8h was 75 lbs. Thats not including intercooler and lower intake.

2.6 is fine on 91. Keep the boost around 18 psi and get a good tune.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
2.6 is fine on 91. Keep the boost around 18 psi and get a good tune.

Most guys don't like to go above 17psi on 91, some don't even like to go that far. Thats why I think a smaller blower might be a better option than a bigger blower turning more slowly.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I'm running just shy of 20 lbs on 93. I have an awesome tuner that tunes the car. No issues at all.

stangfreak

Established Member
right but you have 93. You can go up to 19lbs on that. But like you said, it has to be tuned correctly because thats the edge. I have never seen anyone use 91 here in ny because we have 93, but I know my tuner would never let a car off his dyno running 91 octane and 19lbs.

If you guys are buying twinscrews, you need at least 19lbs. Thats my rule of thumb. 15, 17lbs, it just doesnt cut it, especially when you get to the 2.8 +++ blower sizes. IMO and im going to agree with cj, if your going to stick with 91 octane, id get a smaller blower.

LordVader04

Established Member
Hey cj428mach have even ever owned a KB? I see that you did actually help the OP with some supporting mod info, but the first thing you did was tell the guy to get another blower! I have noticed that when anyone tries to post a thread about a KB setup that you usually talk smack about their blower, why is that? I understand that the KB might not be "Your" preferred blower choice, but why all of the hostility towards KB?

ctgreddy

Established Member
for 91 octane I'd get a 2.3 whipple actually. Those should be carb legal, I know their 2.9's on 5th gen camaro's are. Get their kit for a sbtb, pick up an accufab tb, jlt nexgen cai, mafia, frpp 60lb injectors, bap, and if you still have a stock midpipe I'd swap that just to help it out. But that isn't quite necessary if you like the current exhaust setup you have. When ordering it tell them you want right around 18 lbs and assuming you take it somewhere that will know what they're doing you should leave with 575-600whp and be a happy camper. If you want more, pulley it for 19-20 and throw some torco in with the 91.

I only say whipple because imo they look better than kb and the entry whipple(2.3) seems to be a better choice than the entry kb(2.2). If you want to get the kb 2.6 that's not a bad choice, will leave you more room to grow. But just not quite necessary.

Edit: if you're talking about buying something used, the above is still true. If you're going to be buying new, just go with a 2.6 or 2.8 kb. I just checked prices and the 2.6 is a couple hundred less than a whipple 2.3 so you'll save some money their and make similar power. If you think you'll ever want to push it further than say ~650whp whether that be with race gas, meth, or e85 then just get the 2.8. It'll still make good power at 17-18lbs but make quite a bit more down the road if you push it. Plus that blower is within $50 of a standard 2.3 kit.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Hey cj428mach have even ever owned a KB? I see that you did actually help the OP with some supporting mod info, but the first thing you did was tell the guy to get another blower! I have noticed that when anyone tries to post a thread about a KB setup that you usually talk smack about their blower, why is that? I understand that the KB might not be "Your" preferred blower choice, but why all of the hostility towards KB?
I don't like KB's because of their look, their marketing, and they're longevity.

When I was looking for a blower I was open to any brand. When I was researching what to go with a guy mentioned that a "KB is always either needing a rebuild or has just been rebuilt" I have found this to be true in my searches. You rarely see the other blowers being cracked open for work.

I also see that KB wont warranty blower repairs if you have an underhood RAI, none of the other blower manufacturers I've seen do that. I personally thinks its just another reason to get out of fixing one of their failure prone blowers. JMHO

I also must admit I love working the KB guys up as well. ;-)

In my opinion if the guy is on 91 I think I'd try to get the smallest blower possible as he's going to have no problem spinning it to hit his maximum allowable boost level on 91. I wonder if the gen 2 TVS will be carb legal as it'll have EGR, thats probably the best way to go. If the guy is going to run e85 in the future then running a bigger blower might be a good idea although the smaller 2.3's have shown they can make 700rwhp on e85 as well.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
right but you have 93. You can go up to 19lbs on that. But like you said, it has to be tuned correctly because thats the edge. I have never seen anyone use 91 here in ny because we have 93, but I know my tuner would never let a car off his dyno running 91 octane and 19lbs.

If you guys are buying twinscrews, you need at least 19lbs. Thats my rule of thumb. 15, 17lbs, it just doesnt cut it, especially when you get to the 2.8 +++ blower sizes. IMO and im going to agree with cj, if your going to stick with 91 octane, id get a smaller blower.

I agree, I started my Whipple on 13psi and I didn't think it started to get some pep until 17psi. I didn't have the guts to push it any further than that on 91. Once I started on e85 I jumped to 18.5-19 psi and it was a pretty good kick in the rear and it just keeps getting better as the boost goes up. I can't imagine how sluggish a bigger blower would seem at below 17psi.

I hope OP has e85 available as then he can shoot for the sky.

LordVader04

Established Member
I don't like KB's because of their look, their marketing, and they're longevity.

When I was looking for a blower I was open to any brand. When I was researching what to go with a guy mentioned that a "KB is always either needing a rebuild or has just been rebuilt" I have found this to be true in my searches. You rarely see the other blowers being cracked open for work.

I also see that KB wont warranty blower repairs if you have an underhood RAI, none of the other blower manufacturers I've seen do that. I personally thinks its just another reason to get out of fixing one of their failure prone blowers. JMHO

I also must admit I love working the KB guys up as well. ;-)

:lol:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
For those saying you can't run over 17 PSI on 91 pump remember tune, specifically timing, plays a big roll in that. I ran my 2.9 at 20 lbs of boost on 91 just fine. I just had to pull timing till my J&S Vampire was happy there was no more knock. Is it the most efficient? No of course not, less boost and more timing would be better but you can definitely run 20 PSI on 91 if you had to. In my case I ran this way for a summer while I prepped for bigger goals, once I had some more octane (water/meth injection) I was able to put timing back in and really wake it up and eventually add more boost.

If your end goal however is there, get a smaller blower and add some timing.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I forget which way it works, but doesn't running more or less timing create more unwanted heat or higher i/c temps? I've thought I read this somewhere but not sure. I personally would like to run the least amount of boost while maximizing hp and efficiency.

ctgreddy

Established Member
For those saying you can't run over 17 PSI on 91 pump remember tune, specifically timing, plays a big roll in that. I ran my 2.9 at 20 lbs of boost on 91 just fine. I just had to pull timing till my J&S Vampire was happy there was no more knock. Is it the most efficient? No of course not, less boost and more timing would be better but you can definitely run 20 PSI on 91 if you had to. In my case I ran this way for a summer while I prepped for bigger goals, once I had some more octane (water/meth injection) I was able to put timing back in and really wake it up and eventually add more boost.

If your end goal however is there, get a smaller blower and add some timing.

Finally someone else who knows a good tune will allow a stock engine to handle 20lbs on pump gas. I cant stress enough that a good tune will make or break a set up.

Users who are viewing this thread