What do i need to do in order to prep my car for willow springs?

svtguy22

Established Member
I know our 03.04 cobra's hate heat. Have any of you guys gone into limp mode afer running to long?

What do I need to do in order to prep my car for a enjoyable track experience and not worry about melting my pistons?

I have a jlt rai, bassani x/catback, 2.93 billetflow w/idler, h&R race springs, and a really good tune.

I am mainly concerned about overheating my engine.

Thanks.

racebronco2

Established Member
When do you plan on going. If you run stock boost you shouild have no problem running in weather under 90*. But if you plan on running the 2.93 i would say anything over 70* forget it. Run with your heater on, upper vents on not floor vents unless you want to burn your feet. There are many threads of me and others doing the cooling mods.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Put on a larger pulley ring and get a tune for it if needed. You may not need a tune if your maf transfer is dialed in. You will be able to put on the pulley ring and go.

I run a 3.1 with a stage IV port. Unported I would recommend a 3.1 3.4 or stock sized pulley ring. Obviously the lower boost you run the less likely you will be to have overheating problems.

I would get some brake cooling ducts for the front.

Give the car a through going over. Flush the brake fluid if you have never done it, change the oil, check all critical bolts and nuts. Topoff or change all the rest of the fluids if you have not done them and they are overdue.

Ashley

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I just saw the speedventures schedule and a LOT of new track days were added through the end of the year. I think there are 4 I may sign up for.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have a 2.8 upper w/ a 2#lower. I ran in a HPDE event at Summit Point in early August. It was mid 90's and humid as hell. I am a beginner, but I am not shy about running my car at 3000-4500rpm around the track. I had no over heating issues at all.

My car is tuned to run a little rich, which I think helps the motor run a little cooler. Maybe talk to your tuner and see if this is the case. My car is completely stock as far as the cooling system is concerned.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
It is really going to depend on the track size and configuration, how hard you get off corners, ambient temps etc. My car is tuned for low 11 AFR.

racebronco2

Established Member
wheelhopper said:
I have a 2.8 upper w/ a 2#lower. I ran in a HPDE event at Summit Point in early August. It was mid 90's and humid as hell. I am a beginner, but I am not shy about running my car at 3000-4500rpm around the track. I had no over heating issues at all.

My car is tuned to run a little rich, which I think helps the motor run a little cooler. Maybe talk to your tuner and see if this is the case. My car is completely stock as far as the cooling system is concerned.

Last weekend i was willow springs and the temps were around 95* and with a 3.10 and all the cooling mods hottest the engine was 205*:banana: .

During the lead and follow (beginners) i am usually between 3000-4500. When i am running hard i am usually between 4500-6500.

Did you bed in the brakes yet. They stop much better when you really stomp on them.

racebronco2

Established Member
Venomous01 said:
I just saw the speedventures schedule and a LOT of new track days were added through the end of the year. I think there are 4 I may sign up for.

Also look up speedtrialusa.com. I can almost always make it too the track on saturdays so let me know when you are going.

wheelhopper

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
Last weekend i was willow springs and the temps were around 95* and with a 3.10 and all the cooling mods hottest the engine was 205*:banana: .

During the lead and follow (beginners) i am usually between 3000-4500. When i am running hard i am usually between 4500-6500.

Did you bed in the brakes yet. They stop much better when you really stomp on them.

Haven't done the brakes yet. My fan actually cracked so I had to wait till I replaced it. Broke out of nowhere. I have till Oct. 13. They will be ready. I also purchesed a brake duct kit from Midcontinent Mustangs off of Ebay.

racebronco2

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Carlos, have you recieved confirmation for SOW on the 22nd?

I didn't register, just coming out to give you and steve some help and to promote the dec. event.

I've been to the track the past two weekends and I will be at horse theif mile at the end of the month so it doesn't make much sense to pay for this one. I plan on being at cal speedway this sunday for the championship and maybe some fun runs.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Carlos, have you recieved confirmation for SOW on the 22nd?
the 22nd of Sept?

I'm looking to go to:
Speedventures
  • Streets of Willow this Sept. 14th - MAYBE
  • Buttonwillow on the Sept. 29th
  • Horsethief Mile Oct. 13th
  • California Speedway Oct. 27th
  • Horsethief Mile Nov. 3rd
  • Streets of Willow December 8th

SpeedTrialUSA
  • HorseThief Mile Sept. 30th
  • Ford Only Run on Dec. 1st
  • Buttonwillow Dec. 16th

I mean this is a damn good line up to close out the year.

Users who are viewing this thread