what do you guys think of gforce t5??

rikhockey

Established Member
im thinking its time for new tranny makin lots of noise. car is putting 470 hp and 425 tq to the ground. i been thinking i want a gforce and not sure what to do which one to get what up grades i dont no if i should rebuild mine of buy a new one from them. if people are happy with them or not ?? i one day later down the road want to do a 347 with this blower setup i have and hope for 550 to the ground not sure if i would handle that. mostly drive the streets but sometimes hit the track so what your opinions? thanks erick

stangbear427

Established Member
Most of the people I know of who have them are happy with them, but I've heard rumors of them not standing behind their product when something goes bang. Personally, I think they are seriously over priced. The only reason to get a Gforce T5 instead of a TTC would be the light weight, and while the internal parts are nearly bulletproof, the other half of the equation is the inherently flimsy case of the T5. Gforce does make their own superior T5 case, but now you aren't saving as much weight anymore, and your really paying out your ass... for a T5. If you want to be putting 550 to the ground, you're talking about putting serious torque into that tranny. I'd rather be safe, spend less on a TKO and try to save weight elsewhere. Maybe someone with better info than me will chime in soon

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Stangbear beat me to it. When I read the thread, i was gonna post exactly what he did. I did enough research myself before i made my decision. I wound up just going with the TKO 600. You can throw upwards of 800 hp through that thing know problem even though its rated at 600 hp and 600 pound torque. I have never had GOOD things come from a rebuilt trans anyway. Thats what a gforce t5 is.

1slohawk

Established Member
I have a g-force in my car I'm overall very happy with it. the trans has taken 500+hp with a problem. only downfall which is what you get with any trans with straight cut gears is its alittle noisey. but that trans came in my car I normally prefer tko trans.

Last edited:

rikhockey

Established Member
thanks for the info i have been thinking what to do and not really sure which way to go i like the tko but then i need to buy bellhousing and hope the headers clear do u like the tko 600?

rikhockey

Established Member
now how much will the tko 600 handle also other then the bellhousing how much else would i have to change is the bellhouseing sfi, would i have header issues? and wat clutch then i have the ford hd in it now honestly held for while with that kinda power was impressed but i know i was pushing it with that clutch but i was lookin at the spec 3 i believe they made i new style and it is much nice to drive on the street anyone here of it. what other clutchs do u like?
thanks for the info guys

BelvedereGTX

Banned
You will need to modify the tansmission crossmemebr. cut the 2 tack welds on it, slide it as far tto the rear as possible and then throw another weld or 2 on it. The tko will handle anything you throw at it. Thats all ive read anyway lol. I have neevr heard of header clearnace issue with long tubes. Call up d and d and they will tell you for sure. The king cobra clutch I had them ship me is rated for like 450 hp. I think its the same clutch as the terminators.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have thought about doing a gforce build in my car. I have seen a lot of problems with the tko 500's and 600's from bad vibrations over 45mph to not going into 3rd gear at WOT. But like someone said, the t-5 case becomes an issue when running nice power through it. So I will probably do a tko 600 when the time comes.
As far as clutches, you will not want to use a king cobra clutch (it is not the same clutch as the terminators) It will not hold. Look into getting a Spec 2+ if you are going to go north of 400rwhp in the future. (pretty sure you can't get a king cobra for the tko 600 anyhow)

BelvedereGTX

Banned
LEE93COBRA said:
I have thought about doing a gforce build in my car. I have seen a lot of problems with the tko 500's and 600's from bad vibrations over 45mph to not going into 3rd gear at WOT. But like someone said, the t-5 case becomes an issue when running nice power through it. So I will probably do a tko 600 when the time comes.
As far as clutches, you will not want to use a king cobra clutch (it is not the same clutch as the terminators) It will not hold. Look into getting a Spec 2+ if you are going to go north of 400rwhp in the future. (pretty sure you can't get a king cobra for the tko 600 anyhow)
ALl of those issues you talk about are from the old tko. The new tko is revised. As far as the king cobra being in terminators. Sorry, i thought wrong. And YES. Im pretty sure I have a king cobra in my TKo because thats what i paid for, thats what I got, and thats what I put in.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
03silversvt said:
ALl of those issues you talk about are from the old tko. The new tko is revised. As far as the king cobra being in terminators. Sorry, i thought wrong. And YES. Im pretty sure I have a king cobra in my TKo because thats what i paid for, thats what I got, and thats what I put in.

What do you mean old tko? My business partner has a yr old tko 500 in his coupe and it absolutly will not go into 3rd at WOT.

On the king cobra and tko 600 comment I made, I was not aware that FRPP made a disc to fit the 26 spline count that came in the tko 600.

Just to be clear, I was not dogging the king cobra clutch. I ran one for quite a few years until I reached the power level that made it come apart (high 300's to the tires). I have tried several clutches over the last 4 years and so far the spec 2+ is the only one that has done real well

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
He might be referring to the old TKO/TKOII that came before the 500/600 models? Although, I must say that I've observed nothing like that with my "old school" TKO, with a Pro 5.0- it gave me 70,000 miles of flawless, smooth shifting performance; never a vibration even at triple digit speeds. It did make a little noise, but I liked it that way. Sounded tough :-D

rikhockey

Established Member
well beings that i already and makin 470 to the tires im thinking the king cobra wont handle it long my hd last one seaon not bad considering so i was lookin at either the spec stage 2+ or stage 3+ not sure yet my buddy has a new tko 600 in his 91 with 427 and tubro setup will be putting around 700 to the ground and he is probly goin to change to a automatic of some sort so i probly with pick his up off him. he should be getting in with in the next month so i hope to get a ride or to drive it and see if i like his spec stage 3+ and the tko together. thanks for the info guys
erick

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
:poke:
rikhockey said:
well beings that i already and makin 470 to the tires im thinking the king cobra wont handle it long my hd last one seaon not bad considering so i was lookin at either the spec stage 2+ or stage 3+ not sure yet my buddy has a new tko 600 in his 91 with 427 and tubro setup will be putting around 700 to the ground and he is probly goin to change to a automatic of some sort so i probly with pick his up off him. he should be getting in with in the next month so i hope to get a ride or to drive it and see if i like his spec stage 3+ and the tko together. thanks for the info guys
erick
I think I know that guy, he's a real @sshole :poke:
I think you'll be best with the TKO600 for the gear ratios and strength. Most shifting problems are above 6500, and with the plans for a 600rwhp 347, I think you'll need the strength and not have to worry about shifting much above 6000.
The 2.87 first and .64 OD will be awesome with the 3.73 and boost.
Hopefully we can try out my combo before you buy, maybe I'll even let you drive it. :banana:
-J

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
Well my Gforce built T5 is handleling over 550 rwhp and close to 700 ft/lbs of torque like a champ. I have had over a year and no issues at all. You can send in your t5 and have them build it for you, in my case, I just bought a hole new unit case and all... Sold my old one...
I didnt have to change a crossmember or bellhousing or anything,, just unbolt my stock t5 and bolt the new gforce up... I got the 9310 mainshaft upgrade with the 26 spline thicker now... 1 1/8" instead of the stock 10 spline 1 1/16"
The trans is available in helical cut syncronized gears, so it isnt really that noisy, atleast not to me. 3rd gear was the loudest, and after a couple 100 miles, you can barely hear it.

drkhrse

Established Member
I've had my Gforce for three years now, no problems. The higher first gear is a blessing. I'm not making huge numbers (353 RWHP) however I chose it do to future upgrades and the ease of instalation. No car mods nessacary, i did install a McCloud bell houseing and Dual friction clutch at the same time. I burned up my King Cobra, the second one.........

Last edited:

rikhockey

Established Member
well my t5 lasted a year and half of 470hp to the ground and 425tq so i mean it might last ifi put a gforce but when i do the 347 and jump my boost i think i might have more of a issue. and that biminilx with his gay blue car is a @**hole lol

Users who are viewing this thread