What do you guys think of Wyotech?

stevieb

Established Member
Well Ive heard Wyotech (diesel) was a good school, cant say for sure but I see the one here in Cali used to be Sequoia Institute before it was bought out.
I took the diesel course there 20 years ago. All I can say is its a waste of your money, what a joke, they have no interest in making sure you get the most out of it.
Can you believe they try to teach 30 people in a class the entire heavy duty truck electrical system in 7 days.
I learned majority from real life and owning my own trucking business. They did come into my class with a flyer for a public transit mechanic job that I applied for and got.
That was 20 years ago, Im still there make a decent living, take 8-12 weeks vacation a year, paid retirement, medical...not too bad.
You wont get rich, but you wont be poor.

Heres a tip to remember. You will only get out of a school what you put into it. Find a good school, community colleges are good
because you are graded and will fail if youre not good, at places like wyo (sequoia) all they want is your $$$ PERIOD!!
I cant speak for auto techs but good diesel techs are almost extinct here in Nor Cal anyways.
If you plan to be a diesel tech 2 of the best business' to get into are public transit (Federally funded, not a flat rate shop) and Waste management (garbage). As long as there are humans, there is waste.
Also if you can find a company that will put you through an apprenticeship, thats worth its weight in gold. Caterpillar is one, very good program probably the best. Good luck.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Hmm... So to get some school in diesel technology, what would you guys recommend? One of the schools already mentioned, or do community colleges actually have diesel programs?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Do some research. The automotive technician field has some serious downsides...tough working conditions and low pay just to name a couple. I'm not saying you can't make money, but it's not as rosey a career picture as a Wyotech commercial makes it out to be.

I'd recommend you spend as much time reading the message boards at flatratetech.com as you do reading the glossy brochures that Wyotech gives you. There are some dedicated career Ford techs over there who would be glad to answer your questions about the profession.

If you take the tour, keep us posted.

-Greg

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
my dad is personal friends with the service manager at my local ford dealership. so we are going to meet with him and se what he has to say about it. im takin the tour of Wyotech on friday morning. im also going to look into the auto tech programs at my community college closer as well. thanx for the advice guys.

Justin

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by LAXbronco65
my dad is personal friends with the service manager at my local ford dealership. so we are going to meet with him and se what he has to say about it. im takin the tour of Wyotech on friday morning. im also going to look into the auto tech programs at my community college closer as well. thanx for the advice guys.

Justin
I was just talking to my industrial Snap-On rep the other day and was mentioning this thread, he calls upon some local colleges here and if youre in the Sac area and didnt mind travelling, he said the 2 best automotive colleges in the bay area is Skyline College and DeAnza in Hayward.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Originally posted by svt46sc
WTF? Have you ever been to Wyoming? We all don't wear cowboy hats and Wrangler jeans. There are actually fewer "rednecks" and "cowboys" here than there was in northeastern Pennsylvania (where I grew up). When I lived in Laramie I saw more thug-wannabe's with rice burners than anything else.

Uhm, yes I have...and, uhm, yes you do. Well, not all of you, there are some wearing Rustler's and Trucker hats. :p :p

Chill out. I am in freaking Iowa. It was basically a joke, but there will be culture shock for somebody going from Cali to Wyoming, which he is not going to have to face.

No offense intended.

Users who are viewing this thread