What do you pay for gym membership?

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I've been working out at this gym for about 6 months and my membership just ran out so I went in today to lift and planned on renewing for another 6 months or so. They said they wanted $50/per month. I told em I'm probably going somewhere else. Does that sound like alot to you guys? I'm looking up someother gyms online, looks like I'll just have to take today off.

$100/6 months at the recreation center in my city. The gym is merely decent and the equipment is adequate, but some of it's a pain in the ass. The price is right though.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
$39/month for New York Sports Club. It was a special deal as is pretty cheap for a full gym in the NY area...

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
a church in my area with gym facilities is $10/month

YMCA - $60/month for a family

TheRush247 - $40/month

etc

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I pay the $50 for lifetime. I really only pay for it because they have the pool, and I can't recreate an Olympic size lapping lane at my house.

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
There is an Aquatic Center near my house with a decent gym that charges $50 for 3 months. It’s a nice little place that’s almost always empty so I never have to wait to use the weights or a machine. I tried using LA Fitness for a few months down in Miami but it was always crowded, too expensive, and getting out of the contract was a nightmare.

GodStang

Established Member
Oh my god you people suck. We have one gym and it is $80 a month for one person, yes one month.

Ninedown

Established Member
$38 a month. A lot of the franchise gyms around here are getting high in membership. Plus this damn sign up fee. :fm:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
182 bucks per year or about 15 bucks a month. I work out at the local high school. The gym is brand new, all brand new equipment, and noone is ever there. It's awesome!

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I'm actually the GM of the health club here in Charleston. Good rule of thumb when it comes to gym memberships is the longer you commit the cheaper it is. Most gyms won't do monthly on anything less than a 1 year commitment, mine included. Many states have a maximum amount of months you can be contracted for, South Carolina is 24 months. I charge $49 monthly for a one year, $39 monthly for a two year. Anything less than that and we take the one year price per month and multiply it by the number of months you want plus the enrollment. Ex: 6 months X $49 = $294 + 109 enrollment = $403. Now with that being said the leverage to get a discount is going to depend on the amount of competition in the area. With me the only other competition is my other gym about 12 miles away, so I don't drop my prices that often. If there are other gyms in the area but you want to stay at yours then just call around and try to get they're best price out of them and bring them with you when you go to renew. How long have you been a member? Do you have any personal relationships with the employee's where you can pull a favor card? Don't be afraid to ask for a lowball price. If I have somebody sitting in front of me, especially one that's already given me money in the past, I don't want to let you walk out the door without a membership. They want $50/month, then tell them you want $25. They'll bend trust me, we toss out the high price and hold it for as long as possible. But eventually if you won't budge then....ok you win. Why, because then we both win. I get your money and you get the price that makes you happy. Good luck man...

bullitt5508

Established Member
$30 a month at LA Fitness, its a brand new Gym rite next to my house w. olympic size pool, spa or jacuzzi whatever u wanna call it, Sauna, upstairs has all cardio machines, and lots of hotties workin there!!! oh yeah and its month to month which is pretty cool

clobato

Established Member
I pay $5 per month for my membership. It's a pretty sweet deal. The gym is about a year and half old and 40,000 square feet.

GodStang

Established Member
96stanggt said:
That's why you sign a year or two contract....:beer:

My buddy signed a 2 year membership and it worked out to the same price. Our gyms attitude is too bad. Luckly they are building a YMCA soon but who knows I may be in charleston soon.

Users who are viewing this thread