What do you think about my Gear Patterns

xTomKx

Established Member
I'm setting up my gears and wanted to know if this pattern is acceptable? Or what I should do to improve it?

Ford Racing Gears 4.10
Original Pinion shim .030
New Pinion shim .020
Backlash .011
Ring runout .0025

Drive Side of Gear

CIMG4700.gif

Coast Side of Gear

CIMG4703.gif

CIMG4704.gif

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
no expert here but i think you need those contact points to be more in the center

Yup that pattern is gonna put alot of load on the outer portions of the gear teeth, it needs to be more centered. I would reuse the stock pinion shim and see where that puts the pattern.

Last edited:

Krwy

Established Member
Pinion depth needs to change. You need to get the wear pattern centered. Once set, you need check backlash. Try the original pinion shim. Usually when I do Ford gears the pinion shim is the same.

xTomKx

Established Member
I initialy installed the pinion with the original .030 shim and the pattern was even closer to the toe edge of the ring gear.

Can anybody suggest what shim to use on the pinion?

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
You need to pull the gear outward toward the back of the engine. I would try removing the .030 and replace it with a single, or a stack equalling .015. See where that puts your contact marks and go from there. Doing 8.8" gears SUCKS, but you only want to do it once, right?

xTomKx

Established Member
You need to pull the gear outward toward the back of the engine. I would try removing the .030 and replace it with a single, or a stack equalling .015. See where that puts your contact marks and go from there. Doing 8.8" gears SUCKS, but you only want to do it once, right?

I had this thing apart 3 times already :lol1: Got to do it at least 2 more times. :bored:

BlueOvle

The T-Loc needs to be shimmed to the right. The pinion looks good though. Did you put the stock carrier shims back on the side they came off of?

xTomKx

Established Member
The T-Loc needs to be shimmed to the right. The pinion looks good though. Did you put the stock carrier shims back on the side they came off of?

I installed new bearings on the carrier and pinion so I had to add extra shims to the carrier bearings.

xTomKx

Established Member
you are putting some load on the carrier when you do that right?

move pattern to center

No, I didn't put any load on the carrier. Just spun the pinion around so the carrier went 4 revolutions. Will that make a big differnce in the pattern?

Last edited:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Not a huge difference but it usually makes it easier to see. Those will make noise. I had a similar problem to this on one set, I couldn't get the pinion to come shallow and make a good pattern for me even with a .001 shim. Turned out the new pinion bearing cone angle was different than the race, keeping the bearing from seating fully and holding the pinion nearly 1/8" too far out of the carrier (similar to having a .125 shim in or 4 .030 shims). Check yours very carefully! Make sure the new bearing seats fully into the race the same way the factory pair did. What brand is your new bearing and did you install a new race with it? Is the race all the way in (it should be a little past flush, it will make a distinctively different "thunk" instead of a "ting" when you strike the race driver when it is seated. I like to go after the race driver with a brass drift to make sure it is square in the seat.

FWIW out of nearly 25 gear sets in the last year, I have had only 2 sets that set up satisfactory with stock shims, and only one of those two was within "my" spec (.008-.009 back lash for Ford gears). You are doing the right thing by setting your own side shim stacks. Typically the Ford sets take a .028-.030 shim though, that's been pretty consistant for me.

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Yea def need to be more centered. As for the factory gears being in a dealership I will say this that the factory sucks at setting up gears. Put its mass production so they just pretty much throw them all together and none are done by hand they way the should be. As like said above check your bearing and race, had a similar problem a few months ago and they were Ford bearings. Good luck!

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
make sure as soon as you pull it out of the garage you put your foot to the floor with the throttle and side step the clutch. that'll break that b**ch in quick, oh and don't forget to do it with your eyes closed otherwise you screwed everything up

xTomKx

Established Member
The rebuild kit came with Timken bearings and races. I used the old races to drive the new races and then went over them with a brass drift to make sure they are fully seated. I believe all the bearings are different sizes and non-interchangable so there is no chance I screwed that up or mixed races. Also, when I pull the pinion bearing off to change the shim, I will check the fitment of the bearing in the race.

I think i need to take the .020" pinion shim out completely and see what the contact will be with out it. Or should I use a small .005" shim?

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
Keep at it, you'll get it dialed! I've been taught to shim the carrier (side to side) nice and tight and adjust the shims from one side to the other to get the backlash spot on. Do you have a magnetic-base micrometer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread