What do you think about the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon?

ORANGE04SVT

Established Member
Thinking about possibly buying a Wrangler Rubicon as my daily driver.....Just wondering wht you guys thought about them? Does anyone own one on this site, if so what do you think?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
CSD said:
it looks like a box on wheels

If you buy a jeep for looks... :nonono:

They are a pretty decent upgrade over a stock 4x4 wrangler. Less to buy right after you buy the jeep to do more serious offroading.

I like them. I'd love to have a wrangler for a DD. Fun in the mud and dirt.

AzDropTop

Established Member
See sig. I have an Unlimited and absolutely love it. The only part I don't like about it is the gas milage. 14 to 15 in the city. Off road it is stellar. Could stand to be a bit taller to get out of the rocks a bit, but excellent in stock form. Interior noise is quieter than my old cobra vert-with the hard top on. go for it man-you wont regret it. check out my web page www.tucsonrubicon.homestead.com and www.jeepforums.com for info. good luck.

badass98vert

Established Member
my advice would be to not spend the extra money on a rubicon and buy the next model down. all the rubicons have extra is a couple skid plates, little lift, and tires. take the money you save and would have spent on the rubicon and get a much better lift and tires. i saved a lot of money on my wrangler sport rather than getting the rubicon.

holtsch

Established Member
badass98vert said:
my advice would be to not spend the extra money on a rubicon and buy the next model down. all the rubicons have extra is a couple skid plates, little lift, and tires. take the money you save and would have spent on the rubicon and get a much better lift and tires. i saved a lot of money on my wrangler sport rather than getting the rubicon.

rubicon's also have better axles (at least the front, and possibly the rear depending on which axle the lower model has in the rear), better transfer case, dual lockers, and the things you mentioned. It would cost you more to swithc out a d44 front end and put dual lockers on a sport than it would cost to buy the rubicon..and with the rubicon you get the full warranty.

if you're not going to do any serious offroading then you should consider the sport

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
badass98vert said:

Thats far from correct. The Rubicon has what would ammount to about $10,000 in upgrades over the Wrangler Sport if it was all done aftermarket. Front and rear Dana 44 axles, 4.10 gears, front and rear lockers, upgraded suspension, better transfer case, the previously mentioned skid plates...not to mention it looks better. I had a 99 Wrangler Sport with the mods in my sig...almost 4 grand in aftermarket...and I could barely keep up with a stock Rubicon through the trails and I was the better driver every time I went up against one. The only advantage I had was height.

If youre going to be doing offroading I would highly recommend the Rubicon, however, if your DD is strictly on road with light trail use, then there is no need for all the extras. Either way, everyone I know who has had a Wrangler loves them...and I will definately own another when I can afford it.

badass98vert

Established Member
good info on the rubicon. didnt know it had some of those things. i love my sport, so either way you go you should be real happy.

svtmc-g

Established Member
The Rubicon is a real off roader. My Bro-in-law is nutty with Jeeps(built 4 Cj's and has a new one he just built up with his own custom suspension stuff)..all he talks about is how the Rubicon is a badass machine and it's MUCH more than a little better than a Wrangler. see above posts....dual air lockers and TONS more....I'd love to have one and I'm not a big Jeep guy!

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Nice rig. I wish I could afford the gas to drive one everyday. They EAT fuel, but then again you can run over small hatchbacks with them.

AzDropTop

Established Member
badass98vert said:

What about this stuff?

4:1 Rock Trac Part-Time 4-wheel Drive System
4.11 Axle Ratio
Tru-Loc (Locking) Differentials in Both Axles
Heavy Duty Dana 44/216mm Front Axle
Heavy Duty Dana 44/226mm Rear Axle

Difference in price is about 7K-For me it was well worth it.

go here for a full comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread