What do you think of this roll bar?

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
looks dangerous for passangers riding in the back seat because they can hit thier heads on the bars. It looks like it should hold up well in a rollover though.

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
looks great, but if you roll a vert, you are gonna die anyways. just dont drive like an idoit and you will be fine

RSXFMCJWR

Established Member
Originally posted by Vanride69
looks great, but if you roll a vert, you are gonna die anyways. just dont drive like an idoit and you will be fine

Some tracks require rollbars if you run the 1/4 mile in under a certain time frame(I am assuming that this is why he added a rollbar).

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
I would worry a little about that, too. Looks good, though.

Custom2kgt

Established Member
Ok for everyday bling bling and probably will get you into most weekend warrior 1/4 mile tracks. It is not NHRA approved though because it doesn't extend at the driver's shoulder down to the floor in front of the driver so you'll have sanctioning issues there. Also, you DO loose the back seat functionality. You couldn't pay me enough to get in that back seat, hell my fat @$$ couldn't fit anyway ;).
Looks good but honestly I'd be a little concerned about the "roll over" affect and what it would do to that bend going behind the rear seat. I have to think that the bend back would be suseptable <SP?> to being pinched. Just my 2¢ and not meant as a slam. The part about being bolted in, well honestly if you're bolting/welding to the mustang/cobra sub assembly anyway......... the bolts and/or welds will not break before the subframe does. I took a tour of the Dearborne plant and watched as the cars are made, cobra's, gt's, v6's, all have the same basic build pattern. The bolts and welds are going to be stronger than the unibody construction that these cars are made of. Again just my opinion but bolt in cage is better than no cage, welding is preferred but you still have to look at what you're welding/bolting to. Rather thin sheet metal. A true cage will be welded to the sub assembly right? What happens when that sub assembly is just 2 or 3 layers of sheet metal???? If you're serious about a cage reinforce reinforce reinforce and weld weld weld. Other wise get a bolt in, enjoy the bling, and run your ride on the 1/4, just don't get pissy when it rolls and then fails.

FWIW I run a KB street cage bolted and highly reinforced with more reinforcement and light welding planned ASAP.

RSXFMCJWR

Established Member
Originally posted by robiferretti
i dont like bolt in roll bars, they are just for show, they dont hold up in dangerous high speed crashes...Weld!

Don't tell that to this jeep owner who has a bolt-in rollcage.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/images/vid/tracyroll.mpg

The Bolt-in rollcages don't hold up as well as the welded cages, but they do hold up pretty good.

By the way, the people in the jeep were completely uninjured.

Last edited:

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
:bash: You think the guy that was guiding him through that canyon feels bad? Wow!

svtcobra808

Established Member
IMO... that rollbar is GAY! Not even close to NHRA approved, and as for protection, it MIGHT protect you if you get a bunch of guys lifting one side of the vehicle to roll over. In a crash, forget it.

TeamZ

Established Member
Originally posted by svtcobra808
IMO... that rollbar is GAY! Not even close to NHRA approved, and as for protection, it MIGHT protect you if you get a bunch of guys lifting one side of the vehicle to roll over. In a crash, forget it.

Well it will pass tech at any IHRA or NHRA track for convertables going up to 11.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile it's made of .130 wall DOM that meets MIL specs for roll bars of that nature, it has 6"x6" .125 plates welded to the floors, rockers, and frame rails, all the welds are TIG which is the highest quality of welds!

when a santioning body certifies a cage they use a set of standards set by the SFI foundation, the 25.5 and the 25.2 specs are for cars the run up to 7.50 and 180mph and 7.49 to 6.0 at over 180mph the cage standards are set for the drivers capsule not the rear down bars.

If that GAY roll bar had a halo bar and dash bars it would be legal to run as quick as 8.50's ....if you dont think it will pass tech go to http://www.sfifoundation.com and order the specs, or get your self a NHRA rule book!

Last edited:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
roll bar looks great, clean install. As far as NHRA goeas you cannot have a removable cross section! So its not totally legal. It will probably slide through alot of techs, but not at a big sanctioning event!

Users who are viewing this thread