What do you think of this?

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
*UPDATE* The dealer did get me a NEW motor!! She's back and being broken in*

I just bought a 04 L last week.. When i boought it had a rough idle. Well when signing all the paper work they put this issue down as an '' i owe you" and the dealer whould get it fixed.

So i drop off my L to the dealer. three days later my truck is done. I go to pick it up get my paper work on what was wrong.

and this what the tech notes said. " EEC test po304 #4 miss, Removed found spark plug dinged and porceline part of spark plug cracked missing compression, test cylinder found 120 psi all others at 165psi. Needs engine. was told B u/c to put new spark plug in #4 Note that engine also has rod knock to close per u/c

So they tell me to take the truck for two weeks and bring it back to make sure every thing is ok. On monday i'm bringing it back and bitchin that this engine is fu(ked!! I can hear a loud knock when i start it up! I'm so :fm:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Good Luck, I think they will give you a hard time about replacing the engine or refunding your money. The exact wording of the "I owe you" might be your saving grace. What exactly does it say?

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
Good Luck, I think they will give you a hard time about replacing the engine or refunding your money. The exact wording of the "I owe you" might be your saving grace. What exactly does it say?

On my purchase agreement. check idle

And on my work order paper form the tech, I had the used car sales manger sign and state that they will fix the porblem.

The truck seems to run good since they put the new plug in. it does knock on cold starts but goes away once warmed up. other then that it pulls very hard.

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
doesnt smoke or anything? They said the compression is low..:/

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I do not know if these trucks have piston slap when cold, many GM engines do and they seem to be lasting ok. The compression thing is kind of scary but if it runs good atleast it has that going for it.

I dont know about Modular engines but a crappy oil filter will make a Windsor knock bigtime from a cold start.

How many miles on the thing ?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
1-800-lemon-law baby give them a call tell them your story then have them call the dealership. If that doesn't work hire an attorney.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I do not know if these trucks have piston slap when cold, many GM engines do and they seem to be lasting ok. The compression thing is kind of scary but if it runs good atleast it has that going for it.

I dont know about Modular engines but a crappy oil filter will make a Windsor knock bigtime from a cold start.

How many miles on the thing ?

Most of the late model GM motors have valvetrain noise. The Ford modulars are known for piston slap.
If that cylinder had low compression though the last thing I would be worried about is piston slap!

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I've seen these "I Owe" forms before as well, but I think they are generally for accessories bought for a vehicle at the time of purchase to be added later for quick delivery of the vehicle and customer convenience. This form seems to have been used to unload a defective vehicle. You've got the form and this stage of the game, I'd guard it carefully. You may need it for a legal stand and I wouldn't be surprised if the state attorney general's office will have to be involved. I agree that I wouldn't have bought this vehicle without an independent mechanic checking it over.

What's done is done, however. Best of luck.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Good deal. You should state the dealer because they are certainly worthy of mention. That is the way to demonstrate integrity in business.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
Good deal. You should state the dealer because they are certainly worthy of mention. That is the way to demonstrate integrity in business.

Yeah your right. The dealer is in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. DONCHALMERS FORD. They came through for me in evey way.. Got me a new engine, Got it done in two weeks, and a rental while my truck was in the shop :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread