Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Go to GSP

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Ginsu

Established Member
What do you think.....serious considerations....

I am thinking of applying with the GA and FL State Patrols. Some of the reasons are:
  1. Initially this is what I wanted to be a part of when I got out of the Marines.
  2. Because of the current BS (that would take too long to get into and especially in my PCT) at my department that I am fed up with. As of now I have not looked forward to going in.
    [/list=1]
    At the time I was in the hiring process for my department, FSP pay was way too low. About a month before I was hired Florida raised the base pay to a reasonable level but the timing was bad for me. At that time my Terminal Leave had ended (meaning pay checks stopped) and I had been unemployed for a month. Starting the process with FSP and turning down the job I now have would have ment another 6 - 12 months before I would have been accepted to the academy. That ment taking BS jobs until that point :xpl: . That was not an acceptable option for me.

So far the pro's and con's that I see in going to FL are:
    Pro's
    1. Living in a state I have liked the most.
    2. Being with an organization that I have always wanted.
    3. Good perks.
      [/list=1]

1. Cons's
      1. Another Academy and FTO.
      2. Uprooting and moving.
      3. Sell or rent my house.
      4. Will I regret this in the long run.
        [/list=1]

1. The pro's and con's with GA:
        Pro's
        1. I originally wanted State Patrol.
        2. Additional Perks.
        3. My house probably will not be an issue.
        4. I am already state certified.
          [/list=1]

1. Con's
          1. Another Academy and FTO.
          2. A slight pay cut.
          3. Will I regret this in the long run.
            [/list=1]

1. Basicly I am stuck in the zone no one wants but I have a transfer letter in for another zone. But I am not so nieve to think things will be perfect there, you know "grass is greener on the other side". Well the problem with trying to get transfered is just about 1/2 of the officers at my PCT have over a period of time put letters in before me so I am at the bottom of the pile. And it seems the only people that have got their transfer are supervisors (in the last year I think we have had about 15) and ones that have gotten in trouble for the most part. And that is not an option!

I guess things have finally gotten to a head because I usually do not air my dirty laundry in public but I want some opinions from my brother officers. Because I am really serious about this! I have requested an application for FSP as well as GA but I am also going to go pick one up on my next day off. And I am going to start the process because I know it will take along time to complete, realistically I would not get an academy seat for about a year. And if things improve and or I do get my transfer where I am enjoying work then I do not have to accept a job from either agency.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Rob,

You dont want to join us on the Federal Level??

Remember the Sky Marshal position sucks.

As for your move. If you like making "left" hand turns all day long, except when you do a traffic stop, go for it. All the Troopers I know are just waiting to retire. It is almost all traffic duty. Out of 2200 NJ State Troopers, there are only 150 assigned to the Investigation division, the rest are uniformed and writing violations all day long.

I would suggest that the grass is not greener on the other side.

I would also suggest that the job you have now is a known "entity," whereas either of the other positions is an "unknown" entity.

My suggestion is to reach out to someone in the upper ranks/decision making position and tell them of your decisions and see if they can facilitate a transfer to a better precinct.

NYPD is hiring big time. That is a very cool job with lots of advancement potential and many areas to move about when your areas of interest change. Plus they pay very well.

Just some thoughts.

I wish you luck in your decision.

I am considering a lateral move as well.

Good Luck

hulk

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Being in the same position as you, I would put in apps for both and see where it goes, you could hold your current position securely until then. If you get a call from one or the other, evaluate and decide.

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Since you are already state certified in GA, you don't need to take the full academy do you?? I know here in IL, if you are state certified and deciede to transfer over to ISP all they make you do is take a short 4 week(I think) refresher course........

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I say become a Feddie, some day when I grow up (get my degree that is) I want to be CIA/DEA/ATFish granted a lil different lines, but I say stick it out and figure out what exactly you want, Devildawg

FordSVTFan

Established Member
CIA/DEA/ATF????

Damn Ryan, you have some diverse interests. The only thing those three agencys have in common is they are all Federal.

Not interested in becoming a "Big Dog.":)

j/k

Study hard and get that paper.

Good Luck

Hulk

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah I know, I'd prefere CIA, but always hated drugs so DEA, and ATF hell i dunno why just sounds cool......that's why i'm gonna keep in contact with you ;-) so when i need 'inside' in fo :p

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
From what I've heard, ATF and Homeland Security are going to be merged into an as yet unnamed agency.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
As it seems right now, the new agency known as Department of Homeland security will not be a specific Law Enforcement agency in and of itself. It will have a Law Enforcement division formed by a few agencies within Treasury. One of which is the US Customs service. Supposedly ATF is to be left alone, but I dont know. The Bureau is to remain an autonmous agency. DEA is also remaining under the DOJ as is the US Marshal Service.

As I have heard through the grapevine, I wouldnt be surprised if Rudy Guliani is the Secretary of the new cabinet post that will head the Department of Homeland Security.

Hulk

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Ryan,

CIA??? Interesting, you think you like "op" work? I hope you love to travel:)

Good Luck

Any help I can provide, let me know

hulk

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I've always been intrigued with that kind of stuff, really got into in while in the Marine Corps and introduced to the intelligence world. Now just need to start working on that damn piece of paper which will start this fall.

Adam,

You ever heard of American Military University (AMU)?? I'm going to go thru them for Intelligence Studies.

Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Ryan,

CIA??? Interesting, you think you like "op" work? I hope you love to travel:)

Good Luck

Any help I can provide, let me know

hulk

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Adam,

You ever heard of American Military University (AMU)?? I'm going to go thru them for Intelligence Studies.

Ryan,

I have heard of AMU, actually we have had ex military apply for positions with our agency and have had AMU degrees. Along with a few of the Phoenix University and Indiana University. The reason I mention these, they all are online universities. Being that they are online universities, they are held to a much lower standard of educational criteria. Plus they are usually only locally accredited and not accredited through the regional college accrediting agency, hence the degree is not accepted everywhere.

I am not so sure with AMU, although it is a private institution and not government related. I would be careful if you are relying on them for the all important piece of paper. Just check out their accreditation and call a couple of major universities and see if they will accept all the credits attained at AMU for a transfer to their school. If the answer is NO, then be very very careful about spending time and money with them..

Good Luck and I am sure you will do great

hulk

Ginsu

Established Member
I am still in the begining phases of applying with both agencies. But I have decided I am going State Patrol but as of now I am not sure which one I will go with.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
It's a shame you can't come up to Michigan; the State Police here are absolutely top notch and professional (from a civilian's POV). Good luck whatever your path, and don't be afraid to take a chance while you're young. At some point, it's too late....

Ginsu

Established Member
Thanks Harry. And I don't think Michigan would work for me! It is just too cold!!!! LOL! My last duty station in the USMC was on I-I in Twin Cities, MN for 3 years. Made some good friends there and had some fun during the summer but the winters were murder for me.

At 33 I still have some room to find just the right agency so yea I agree.

NY Black SVT

Established Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I'm late on this topic, but I just wanted to say Semper Fi to a fellow Jarhead. I did 8 1/2 years in the COrps and it's always good to see another one of my brothers out there. :thumbsup:
BTW, I'm 35 so we may have served together somewhere. I was at Lejune until 92. Holla back.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
the only regrets are things you haven't done. we had a detective leave our department for the sky marshals. he says he wishes he stayed where all the action is.

Users who are viewing this thread