What Do You Think?

cobra04svt

Pegasus
Established Member
Has anyone heard of this, over the last while I have had pin head and bigger rust spots reappearing on the body paint(04/SVT Cobra) I removed them with cleaner then waxed the car. A short time later they re-appear and every where doors, hood, trunk and can only be seen in a bright light. I took it to the Ford SVT dealer where I bought the car, they said it comes from the train ride to the dealer. I was given the reason for the spots are enviromental fallout (iron deposits?)settle on the paint during the ride, this is the dealers conclusion . . They say they get a lot of vehicles like this and they have a treatment that takes it away Also rust has formed one spot that I can see on inner fender between seams by the shock tower. Now I find out fallout damage (if this is what it is?) is only covered to 20,000 kms(Canada). I am having a hard time excepting this as fallout noting the fender area, and this is what I can see. (whats hiding that I can't see?) I did have the car under coated and protection package put on at time of purchase($1,000) I hope to get input from everyone please, as I will be posting this on other different Ford and Mustang chat rooms and sites :shrug:

Life is to short to have a rusty Cobra! :cuss:

03SBGT

Established Member
cobra04svt said:
Has anyone heard of this, over the last while I have had pin head and bigger rust spots reappearing on the body paint(04/SVT Cobra) I removed them with cleaner then waxed the car. A short time later they re-appear and every where doors, hood, trunk and can only be seen in a bright light. I took it to the Ford SVT dealer where I bought the car, they said it comes from the train ride to the dealer. I was given the reason for the spots are enviromental fallout (iron deposits?)settle on the paint during the ride, this is the dealers conclusion . . They say they get a lot of vehicles like this and they have a treatment that takes it away Also rust has formed one spot that I can see on inner fender between seams by the shock tower. Now I find out fallout damage (if this is what it is?) is only covered to 20,000 kms(Canada). I am having a hard time excepting this as fallout noting the fender area, and this is what I can see. (whats hiding that I can't see?) I did have the car under coated and protection package put on at time of purchase($1,000) I hope to get input from everyone please, as I will be posting this on other different Ford and Mustang chat rooms and sites :shrug:

Life is to short to have a rusty Cobra! :cuss:

Hey man, if you paid and extra G for their "protection" package, make them fix it. Tell them you want the car repainted. You are going to have to stand up for what you want on this one.

Well, after re-reading, it looks like they have a treatment for this? I would make them do this, document it, then take it back if it does not solve the problem. Keep taking it back until you are satisfied. Good Luck.

03DOHC

Established Member
Sounds like fallout. I had that on my white mustang. The detail shop chemically removed the fallout and that seemed to work well.

I would wash the car and claybar it.

I'm going to move this to the detailing forum.

Scott P

Established Member
Those rust spots are caused by the metallic brake particles that are kicked up onto the car when they are transported by rail. A clay bar would be the perfect solution. There is no need to take it to the dealer to get fixed. You can grab the Mother's Clay Kit from the parts store and do it yourself. The directions are on the box.

The clay will lift those small metallic particles from your paint. If you don't get them out, they will simply rust and reappear. No amount of special dealer applied paint protection will stop that.

Once clayed, I would polish and the wax or seal. You'll really like the results.

cobra04svt

Pegasus
Established Member
If this is happening alot why is Ford taking preventative measures during shipping? Why wait for a customer paying premium price (Canada) for this car, to have to crazy with thoughts of rust eating his investment?

Users who are viewing this thread