What do you use to dry?

dom418

Established Member
Use the waterblade on glass, roof and other big areas. Then use the absorber in one hand followed by a MF in the other. No swirls here. Key is to make sure the car is very clean and has plenty of wax on it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
just tried out the blower method, ****ing awesome.

how are you guys doing it? working from front to back, or top to bottom?

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
Mr Clean Auto Dry!!! No water spots...EVER. At least when I use it... my friends have had different results. I have a black car and I love using that thing.

futureSVT

Established Member
yea i usually dry the windows off first so the towel is damp then i work on the body.. but i need a new washing method. as i am unhappy with the spider scratches and minor swirl marks.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
just tried out the blower method, ****ing awesome.

how are you guys doing it? working from front to back, or top to bottom?

Top to bottom. Example, roof to the windows but ALL windows then down to the body panels. On a mid sized car, it should take about 10-15 minutes. If you keep the quick detail spray on and it beads real well, cut a few minutes off. But I always see a couple of runs or water spots left so I go back. Its time consuming but its prob one of the best ways to do it and avoids putting anything on the car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
k i was doing that. i think overall it seemed quicker than a WW towel. I had to bust out a microfiber for a few spots but that was it.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
u guys who use the absorber or any type product that drags across the paint surface are NUTS!!!

I can't tell you how bad my car looked after two or three wash/dry's when using an absorber. My car literally turned into a swirl monster..I threw mine out and bought a electric leaf blower very quickly and haven't looked back since.

If you properly detail the car and have it covered with a good coat of wax the leaf blower method is by far superior. It literally should take 5 minutes to dry off and will give the car an awesome finish.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Yeah I tested the absorber one day...
(back when I had my black GT)

I buffed a 2x2 spot on the hood and completely removed every swirl and every defect in the paint... it looked perfect! I then washed the car (carefully... using every safe method so the washing itself wouldn't create a swirl or scratch). I then dragged the absorber across my paint while watching what happened. The result was a fair amount of swirls. Now mind you, I did this to a just buffed spot on the hood... imagine the absorber on a hood that could VERY well drag debris across your paint that wouldn't be otherwise removed by a claybar or buff!

I use microfibers ONLY.

dom418

Established Member
been detailing with the absorber for almost 10 years with no problems. I rarely drive my car though so when it is being washed it isn't really dirty. One thing is for sure, I never get swirls.

DSC02352.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
I think the most absolute safest route is with a leaf blower (electric only, gas may spit on your car otherwise) and then microfiber the rest.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I used an absorber for a while. Then I noticed after my recent detail that after 3 washes it looked almost as bad as it was before the detail. Electric leaf blower FTW.

my neighbors look at me like im nuts when im drying my car

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I use the california dry blade for the major spots. The key to preventing scratches is to make sure you don't put the blade on the ground or anywhere with dirt on it. Before using it on your car do a DOUBLE CHECK of the tip of the blade to make sure there is nothing abrasive on it that could dig into your paint and leave a nasty mark. Mine is made of a soft silicon that is very gentle on the car's finish. This tool gets about 80-90% of the water off then I just finish off with a handful of microfibers. Before the dryblade I'd go through like 12 microfibers because they'd get too wet too fast, with the dryblade I use 2...3 if I want to be a perfectionist.

The Mr. Clean hose attachment with a clean filter is the shit though I must say. the "dry mist" setting on that thing is a miracle worker I swear.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Had to drive in rain and just used the leaf blower in the garage, and the water flew off...wonder what the neighbors thought..haha

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Meguiars Water Magnet waffle weave, used to see them at the big auto parts stores. No swirls. I do exclusively Optimum No Rinse washes for several reasons, so the blower is n/a with ONR.

Users who are viewing this thread