what does it take to beat a Viper ?

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I came across one yesterday which looked to be pretty new. I reved at him and he started tail gaiting me at about 60 mph. Finally he tried to blow around me as I was cruising in 4th. As soon as he got to my door I hit 3rd and I started to reel him in when I was at his back bumper.

There was a good bit of room to stretch our legs some but there was traffic ahead of us so I'm not sure if he slowed for that but it definately wasn't like he hit the brakes.

My car is already pretty light and I just did some weight reduction and the cool air made my car feel like a rocket ship but I'm not sure if I was just wishful thinking that with more room I would have pulled him.

after that he followed me around some but wouldn't play anymore :shrug:

oh and this was with out NOS. I just need the correct (digital) window switch before I spray it again.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I ran a 05 Viper with LT's and a tune when my car was stock pulley, Intake and catback. I could put about 3/4 of a car on him until about 110 and then he would start to reel me in. I raced the same car this year with the whipple and put bus lenghts on him. My buddy in the viper wants to put spray on it next year and run again. But he doesn't know I migh t be doing spray myself :rockon::burnout:

Also raced another viper in town from a dig and blew the doors off of him DR's FTW!

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
ah cool so it's not absurd to think I was reeling him in like I thought becasue I was charging at him like a freight train starting from about 60-70mph in 3rd. That might explain why he didn't want to play anymore after that. His car looked sweet and I guess he didn't want to be shown up by my old faded paint 98 Cobra lol I'm betting his car was stock and he still thought he had me :)

purdueranger

Established Member
Gen 3 vipers stock are a low 120 trap car. Put LTs and a 200 shot and they are 135 trap. H/C vipers are trapping 135. They have a 3.08 rear gear and are deadly from a roll if they are modded. I looked at picking one up before I bought my 03 viper. Gen 3s are going for $30-35k for a low miles stock car. Heavy modded are going to be 140+ trap depending on boost levels.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Stock ones aren't too bad from normal rolls, but as mentioned, once you start getting up in speed or the Viper starts modding..... you'll need a lot of luck.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
In all honesty I was dead even with a newer viper (gen 3? not sure of year but this was like 2 yrs ago) from 2 rolling starts with my old 3.0 pulley and tune. now whether the guy could not drive it well i dont know but he could not leave me at all. we went up to maybe 120 or so, twice, coming back from local car show.

the plate read "mamba" and im not sure thought i heard somewhere but that is a special edition with some exhaust maybe

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
Pulley/ bolt-ons is basically what would put you in their power range, so the outcome isn't really surprising. As others have said, they're dangerous from a roll because of their gearing. It's hard to keep up with a 8+ liter V10, but it can be done.

There's a guy up the road from me that owns a newer silver SRT-10 Viper. Very rarely do I see that thing leave the garage but oh man do I wanna run it.:fm:

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Vipers are fast, but I would rather have a Mustang.
Sitting in a Mustang has nowhere near the feel of sitting in a bathtub.

~crash

Established Member
Damn 68 GT, your car sounds like a beast! Get that window switch asap! How much boost are you running?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the year of the viper is a big deal. those '08s are animals from the factory. 8.4 liter 600hp/560tq, 3424 lbs. They trap around 130

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
They arent that fast.....
I have run a few with my 65 year old mom's 03 Mustang Convertible and had 5 to 7 cars em taking it easy :dw: :-D

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
Damn 68 GT, your car sounds like a beast! Get that window switch asap! How much boost are you running?

I'm not sure my stock boost gauge pegs out at 10 PSI. I need an boost overlay, or aftermarket gauge.

I think my car is fairly light weight. I need to get it weighed.

Users who are viewing this thread