What else to upgrade while engine is apart

Strikeking10

Established Member
I installed a new gen 2 TVS and didnt even get 500 miles before I found low compression on 2 cylinders and decided to go ahead and pull it apart and see how much damage there was and upgrade it while its apart. I dropped the car off this morning to get started on it, I figured I would replace the pistons and up the compression to 9.3:1 with some manley pistons, if I have to bore it out any is yet to be determined though.

What else besides ARP studs and bolts should I upgrade while its apart? I know ill need rings/bearings, anything in the heads like valves/springs/seals? im going to be getting a tune for e85 and pump with the TVS made 568rwhp on 15* timing and im assuming the lower compression before. Im shooting for 700+ on corn.

mkb116

Established Member
Agree... You can drop a rediculous amount of money on a rebuild. What's your budget.

Sweet '96 Cobra

Beat 'em with a stick!
Established Member
Upping the compression just makes more heat, if you want more power up the boost a bit. We all know how these engines dont like excess heat.

There's a reason the Ford engineers kept these engines at 8.5:1.

cj428mach

Established Member
Head studs, and have the heads gone through with new seats and guides checked.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Billet oil pump gears, main studs and machining for same, King bearings, aftermarket dampner of choice and, of course, balancing the rotating assembly. It also might be a good time to purchase a flywheel with a replaceable insert and have the pressure plate 0 balanced to the assembly.

Compression changes depend on the fuel and cams used in the engine. If you are going to use stock cams degreed in stock locations with 93 octane, then Ford already engineered a very good the compression ratio that squeezes the charge almost as much as it can without detonation. It could come up a little for optimal power, but your room for error decreases with fuel that is a little substandard in octane and the chance of detonation increases. I would recommend some form of knock protection like the J&S Vampire before closing the gap on detonation.

Strikeking10

Established Member
Agree... You can drop a rediculous amount of money on a rebuild. What's your budget.

im not wanting to do anything crazy, just want to do whats needed to be safe and reliable also, budget isnt a huge concern though. I already ordered Arp studs and bolts, I want to keep the stock cams but was thinking of getting new springs/retainers just not sure what ones to get, this is my first engine build/rebuild so im just looking for suggestions of whats smart to do to help figure out what way I need to go.

Users who are viewing this thread