What exhast should I buy?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like a Roush Muffler and I know the Roush's are way loud. Wonder how much different they are?

It's a borla muffler and with a off road X pipe it's still not crazy loud, it just has a nice clean exhaust tone

black13 gt500

Established Member
Anyone have any clips of the SS axleback with a set of headers and offroad x or h pipe. I'm leaning towards these mufflers when I get my motor back

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Anyone have any clips of the SS axleback with a set of headers and offroad x or h pipe. I'm leaning towards these mufflers when I get my motor back

I have the SS mufflers with headers and High flow cats, they sound amazing. I previously ran the SS mufflers with an MRT o/r h, it also sounded great but the sound wasn't as clean as it is now with the headers and High flow cats.

MagnaFlow

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We think our Street Catback (15172) sounds great, and maintains a perfect volume level for daily driving!

[video=youtube;GHQKOweEMuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQKOweEMuQ[/video]We think our Street Catback sounds great and maintains a volume level perfect for daily driving!

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
This has easily been the most difficult car I've exhaust shopped and compared for. But happy I'm fortunate enough to do it! :) Just want to be sure before I drop the coin. I can only find a handful of samples for the main options I'm interested in.

1) MRT Interceptor - can't find any negatives yet other than it may be pretty close to stock
2) Borla S-Type - read I have to reuse the stock exhaust weld-on clamps to install :/
3) Super Snake - just can't do the oval tips... May ask Shelby if there's a way to weld on stock or other aftermarket tips. If so, this is probably what I'll go with.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of the videos out there of Corsa, Borla ATAK, Kooks, etc are all just startup and rev and / or full throttle examples. While these options may be awesome, 95% of my driving is going to be light throttle acceleration through the gears and then 70-80mph highway cruising. That is rarely demonstrated. Maybe it's an I.D. 10 T. error and I'm not good at searching, or I just need to make more friends and hit more meets to hear in person.

Honestly the most important factor for me is I WANT my exhaust to drone. I know... What kind of zipper head communist am I!? Haha... But, I want to hit that 1800-2500 rpm band slowly going through the gears or cruising in that range and have all drivers in my vicinity turn for the noise. I guess that's how I experience the ride more. I want to feel it and hear it. Bassani O/R X pipe + Borla Stingers on my 04 cobra sure did it. Just not sure the same will happen in an axle back setup. :/

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have Borla S and you will need to get clamps. I didn't know and hammered/chiseled my originals off. I wish I would have had a set in hand so I could have left my OEM in tact.

My exchaust is stock other than cat back.

If you want drone, do NOT get the S.

DRONE=FLOWMASTERS!

Tom

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Do any of the axle back add rwhp? Any dynos before and after?

I think some manufacturers advertise a few hp may be gained... Like 5-7 at most. consider an axle back change a sound upgrade and not really a power upgrade. You'll have to think full exhaust for true power gains, and even that will be pretty modest (20-30).

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I have Borla S and you will need to get clamps. I didn't know and hammered/chiseled my originals off. I wish I would have had a set in hand so I could have left my OEM in tact.

DRONE=FLOWMASTERS!

Tom

Thanks Tom! I've typically avoided Flowmaster bc they traditionally sound hollow and higher pitched, but I'll try to dig up some more examples.

paluka21

Established Member
This has easily been the most difficult car I've exhaust shopped and compared for. But happy I'm fortunate enough to do it! :) Just want to be sure before I drop the coin. I can only find a handful of samples for the main options I'm interested in.

1) MRT Interceptor - can't find any negatives yet other than it may be pretty close to stock
2) Borla S-Type - read I have to reuse the stock exhaust weld-on clamps to install :/
3) Super Snake - just can't do the oval tips... May ask Shelby if there's a way to weld on stock or other aftermarket tips. If so, this is probably what I'll go with.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of the videos out there of Corsa, Borla ATAK, Kooks, etc are all just startup and rev and / or full throttle examples. While these options may be awesome, 95% of my driving is going to be light throttle acceleration through the gears and then 70-80mph highway cruising. That is rarely demonstrated. Maybe it's an I.D. 10 T. error and I'm not good at searching, or I just need to make more friends and hit more meets to hear in person.

Honestly the most important factor for me is I WANT my exhaust to drone. I know... What kind of zipper head communist am I!? Haha... But, I want to hit that 1800-2500 rpm band slowly going through the gears or cruising in that range and have all drivers in my vicinity turn for the noise. I guess that's how I experience the ride more. I want to feel it and hear it. Bassani O/R X pipe + Borla Stingers on my 04 cobra sure did it. Just not sure the same will happen in an axle back setup. :/

MRT interceptors are a high quality piece, and save about 11+lbs of weight. They sound very similar to stock except when you go WOT, to which they really open up. For me, the downside is they do drone a bit, which it seems like you prefer. But, they don't have any of the popping or crackling sounds that many aftermarket axlebacks have.
MRT1.jpg

DSCN0768_2.jpg

DSCN0769_2.jpg

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member

DRONE=FLOWMASTERS!

Tom

MRT interceptors are a high quality piece, and save about 11+lbs of weight. They sound very similar to stock except when you go WOT, to which they really open up. For me, the downside is they do drone a bit, which it seems like you prefer. But, they don't have any of the popping or crackling sounds that many aftermarket axlebacks have.
View attachment 62784

View attachment 62785

View attachment 62786

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with MRT and the pictures.
Build quality looks really nice. I'll see if I can find an off-road combo / example video.

SRTchris

Established Member
I'm thinking of going with Corsa. As I love the stock tips cut on them, and Corsa is similar.

I'd like to go with H pipe, but which one to get. ?
I'd like Cat-less, but will I need a tuner for this?

my13Elenor

Established Member
I've been back and forth on the SS axle back. I can't find a video clip anywhere of the SS axle back on a open exhaust cammed GT500. I'd like to hear that MRT axle back on a cammed GT500 as well.
Your car sounds amazing! On a side note, is your short block still stock?

my13Elenor

Established Member
I'm thinking of going with Corsa. As I love the stock tips cut on them, and Corsa is similar.

I'd like to go with H pipe, but which one to get. ?
I'd like Cat-less, but will I need a tuner for this?
You will need a tune with catless, I've got ARH longtubes, off road MRT H-pipe, Corsa Sport axleback, I'm very happy with this set up, it's quiet while cruising, but when you stomp on it is super loud!

Users who are viewing this thread