What goes in this (threaded)hole??(in the block)

icobra99

Established Member
Help! Identifying hole in top of block

I'm trying to get this '03 longblock ready to go in my car and I have a quick question I haven't been able to find help with yet. Underneath the intake manifold, right in the middle of the top of the block is a small threaded hole. What goes in this hole???

mmr900.jpg

Again I'm referring to the small hole right in the middle of the top of the block, in between the two middle ribs.

icobra99

Established Member
I'm trying to get everything on my terminator longblock so I can put it in, and I've ran in to an issue. There is a small threaded hole right in the middle of the top of the block, underneath the intake manifold. My teksid block doesnt have this. Can someone pleeeease tell me what this is for? I've been searching a few days with no luck.

mmr900.jpg

Again I'm referring to the small threaded hole, in the middle of the top of the block. Thanks guys.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Nothing stock goes in that hole, but I know that you can put an aftermarket knock sensor there if you wanted to.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
its for a knock sensor. no big deal. no need to fill. its just a threaded hole, no water or oil will come out of it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm trying to get this '03 longblock ready to go in my car and I have a quick question I haven't been able to find help with yet. Underneath the intake manifold, right in the middle of the top of the block is a small threaded hole. What goes in this hole???

mmr900.jpg

Again I'm referring to the small hole right in the middle of the top of the block, in between the two middle ribs.

Are you sure the block is originally a terminator?
That is where the knock sensor goes on the other cars that share this 4.6L iron block, terminators never got knock sensors.

I'm a little surprised it is tapped with threads if it was originally sourced from one of our cars.

icobra99

Established Member
Awesome, thanks guys!

Are you sure the block is originally a terminator?
That is where the knock sensor goes on the other cars that share this 4.6L iron block, terminators never got knock sensors.

I'm a little surprised it is tapped with threads if it was originally sourced from one of our cars.

Pretty sure. It's a re manufactured '03/'04 ordered through Ford. It took almost 3 months for them to get it to me.. Maybe they didn't have a core to build it from so they used a different block? :shrug: Crate says '03 Cobra.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I'm trying to get everything on my terminator longblock so I can put it in, and I've ran in to an issue. There is a small threaded hole right in the middle of the top of the block, underneath the intake manifold. My teksid block doesnt have this. Can someone pleeeease tell me what this is for? I've been searching a few days with no luck.

mmr900.jpg

Again I'm referring to the small threaded hole, in the middle of the top of the block. Thanks guys.

I'm surprised you went from a Teksid to an iron block.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Looks to be a FR or generic replacement iron block (same block MMR and others use if you order an engine for a 03-04 Cobra. If you look on either side of the block valley, there are 2 threaded bosses for knock sensors (like the Mustang GTs have). They need to be cut down on a 03-04 Cobra application due to interference with the lower intake manifold. OE Cobra blocks didn't have them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread