what guages and where.....

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
what are "must have" guages for my V2 blower install, Im guessing boost, A/F for sure and maybe Fuel Pressure......2001 Cobra Vert......and where is the best location(I like the Speed of Sound A-pillar pods, but seems its discontinued for a vert)..so whats the next best A-pillar manufacturer,,,,, and looks like someone(dumbass) had something glued in the middle of the dash where the earlier Mustangs had a small pod, so that may be a good place to put a pod to cover the little smears that I can't clean off(but I'm not crazy about that location)...
plus, what is the best manufacturer and color to match my existing Cobra dash lights, or should I do a different color, like red maybe or is that too rice...

JP_Stang

Established Member
The three you mentioned are probably the most important ones to have. I don't know who the best man. is for the pods. You can buy LED's in whatever color you would like for your gauges. You can get green ones to match your factory gauges. There is a thread in the SN95 forums on what company you can get them thru. If you like blue, in the same thread it tells you how to convert your factory gauges to blue so that they match the aftermarket gauges. You can also do your climate control panel to match everything else.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
my gauge pics have been posted numerous times SO sorry veterans!

photo0033kv.jpg

svtcobra495.jpg

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
thanks BM, thats cool.......but my head unit is installed in the upper slot, which I think puts them too low........and sorry.... Im still kinda new, and searched through the archives and checked out whatever I could find........thats where I noticed the SOS pod, and went looking for it and it is discontinued for Verts......has anyone tried the Glowshift gauges? never heard of them but they are all over the web, is this some junk or a reputable brand.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You could relocate the radio, I was planning on putting them on the bottom opening but the guys at the shop said to use the other, and I haven't heard of those gauges..

JP_Stang

Established Member
I would stick with Autometer gauges man. You can use a different brand for your wideband, but my personal preference is Autometer for everything else. You know you are getting a quality gauge that will work and be accurate.

01yellercobra

Established Member
IMO the MOST important gauge is the wideband. It's saved my butt on more then one occasion. I'm using a PLX. The tuner I was working with at the time recommended it and it's what I'm used to working with. I keep saying I'll get an Autometer one day so my boost and wideband match. Those are the only two I run. I picked up the small gauge pod that attatches to the pillar from Jegs. I installed a pillar pod from SOS on another car and the style just didn't do it for me.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

2001cobravert

Established Member
I'm running all autometer NV series gauges (wideband, boost/vac, and oil pressure). They match the stock gauges well.

I bought a triple pillar pod off of eBay. Surprisingly the fitment was good. My next gauge will be fuel pressure on the steering column.

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
good info.....I was a bit leary of the stick-on pillar pods, just wasn't sure if they look factory enough, in fit and color....and just seems like a triple might be too much on the pillar, think I have only seen doubles installed pics.......... any pics you have would be great........BM, my 01 must have a different setup, I only have a 1/2 DIN size slot left, not enough for gauges......I like the column mount too......Im gonna search and see if anyone makes a double of that style also...

JP_Stang

Established Member
I have a triple pod on the pillar and I love it. I wouldn't get the stick on ones though. You can get the double and triple pillar pods where the new pillar just replaces the stock one. I have 3 on the pillar, 1 on the column and I plan to purchase the bezel that replaces the stock bezel around the stock gauges that holds 2 more. Right now I have wideband, fuel pressure, boost and EGT. I want to get oil pressure and water temp. to go in the bezel.

glittle75

Established Member
I have an SoS pillar and just boost / WB AF. I recommend Speedhut gauges. They are great, have high/low warning lights, high/low recall, and they look amazing. Definitly the best gauges ive ever had or seen. You may be able to look around here and corral maybe and find a SoS pillar for your vert. If you can i suggest it the fit and finish is second to none.
IMG_1756.jpg

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
thanks for the pics, I still like the style of the SOS over the molded stuff, One more Question....is it needed to get the Vac/boost or just Boost?........the Vac just measures the neg pressure at idle, right......Im gonna be running low boost so I am looking for a 15 psi so I can actually see some detail......

01yellercobra

Established Member
I like having the vacuum/boost gauge. The vacuum gauge can be used for troubleshooting.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

deadhorse

WCMF-38
Established Member
i went with a boost , oil and temp, i deleted my top heater vents and mounted them there.Heat and AC are not a must in my climate so i can get away with it.I will be putting a steering colum guage with A/F guage.
jan2012052.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
In my opinion; wide band, fuel pressure, oil pressure and boost if its in a FI car. In that order are the necessities. The rest are good for trouble shooting, diagnosis, and just making sure you motors happy, good to have but not totally needed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
Imo def get the boost gauge with vac. as well. I have had a car with both and the one without the vac. side has been driving me nuts. I had an easier time reading the one with both than the one with just boost

Users who are viewing this thread