what happened...

560Sl

Banned
Ok, I got on my car today, hit second (shifting at 5k), then MISSED THIRD ...the car hit the rev limiter...

Then, I did a couple more pulls...then I went home...now the car is kinda ticking...what is wrong? (its fairly loud) Did I damage/lose a piston? PLEASE HELP

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Don't wanna be your dad here, you shouldn't race your brand new car home. But I would guess that your accident has something to do with noise. Go to a shop to do a check up to make sure your car doesnt have any 'kinks' in it that the owner forgot to mention. Good luck.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
ouch. where is the ticking coming from? does it get faster with engine rpm? any howling or screeching with it?

could be valvetrain...could be bottom end. go into detail about the noise, please.

560Sl

Banned
Doug said:
ouch. where is the ticking coming from? does it get faster with engine rpm? any howling or screeching with it?

could be valvetrain...could be bottom end. go into detail about the noise, please.

its ticking a little higher towards the top of the engine...no screeching or howling...its faily loud, not extremely though.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If it gets louder or faster with higher rpm, chances are its the rotating assembly or your harmonic balancer. My car out of nowhere just starting ticking and it seemed like it was coming from the alternator but it was the balancer, got a new one and it was fixed.

560Sl

Banned
whats the "rotating assembly" and "harmonic balancer" and how much do those cost to fix? it just seems kinda crappy though that from what ive heard that if you hit the rev limiter, even for a brief second, your car will probably mess up if you have a 5.0...it just seems like its going to happen eventually, why would ford allow that?

mcaligiuri

Established Member
could be a bearing spun, how is the oil? if it is old and not so great a high rev could of caused a bearing to spin.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Rotating assembly is the crank, rod, piston. The Harmonic balancer is a counterweight on the crank so it doesn't vibrate. The balancer is anywhere from $50-$100, but there are ones for 300! The 5.0 is notorious for a weak crank and block. But don't forget your car is about 12 years old. I would say don't shift past 4000rpm until you figure out the problem.

560Sl

Banned
well thats BS if one missed gear and the car breaks...Im beginning to think I shouldve gotten a 4v...

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Welcome to the club, im selling mine after high school to get a White 98 Cobra, so if anyone is selling around may or june, give me a holla!

slosnake

Established Member
I can tell you that I spun a bearing and it wasnt pretty!!! It sounded like the tick was coming from the intake!! I ended up not only spinning the bearing, but also cracking the rod cap!! Be careful if its a bearing fix it before you damage that crank or worse yet the block!!!

560Sl

Banned
also, I think ive over-exaggerated the loudness of the tick...wouldnt a spun bearing affect performance/be a LOUD tick?

torchred2000gt

Established Member
You have to buy a new pushrod and if you have the stock headgaskets on, you will need to replace them, I'd suggest the FelPro rubber gaskets if this is the case. You can pull the valve covers off everyday with one of those without a problem. To figure out what pushrod is bent you would have to pull the intake manifold though, if you don't do that you would have to loosen every valve on the engine and pull the pushrods until you find the right one, sort of hit and miss. It'd be easier to pull the intake manifold, which means you have to buy that gasket also.
Rob

98QuadCam

Established Member
you might have jumped your timing and bent a valve or two. In about 2 weeks you will probably have trouble idleing. You should have it looked at, missing a gear can break anything internal.

Road Rage

Snake Bite
Established Member
do a compression test, any car can break from you over revving it, it is 11 years old and who knows how it was taken care of but i guess we can see how it will be taken care of now if your redlining it before you even get it home, also the 302 is cheaper and easier to fix compared to the 4V.....

Users who are viewing this thread