What happens when the clutch goes boom?

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Okay, I'm looking for any information on behalf of a friend who is driving a 2000 S4. He recently had his clutch go out and as it did, experienced all the usual signs except for he finally was not able to put the car in first gear. Upon taking it to CarMax - where he bought the car - they sent it to a "preferred" repair shop. The shop fixed the clutch that was under warranty with CarMax, but has now come back and said that the Transmission is shot!

Is this a common occurrence when the clutch plates go out? Should he be suspicious of the situation? They are claiming that a new trans on this car will cost around $8K.

Let me know you thoughts as my friend is in a bit of hard spot.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Did they install the clutch and grinding continues?

When the clutch goes out, you can put it in gear...it just ain't gonna go anywhere! That's the way my car currently sits after blowing out a SHO Shop HiRevs, Jr (Clutchmasters) clutch at 7200 miles.

If its the tranny, I'd imagine it would grind in gears and bear very hard to get in gears as well.....

I'd believe with R&R plust he cost of an Audi tranny 8k sounds right..

Steeltwo

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Did they install the clutch and grinding continues?

When the clutch goes out, you can put it in gear...it just ain't gonna go anywhere! That's the way my car currently sits after blowing out a SHO Shop HiRevs, Jr (Clutchmasters) clutch at 7200 miles.

If its the tranny, I'd imagine it would grind in gears and bear very hard to get in gears as well.....

I'd believe with R&R plust he cost of an Audi tranny 8k sounds right..
to do tranny or clutch work on a S4, they have to drop tons of crap first.

the parts aren't all that expensive, but labor is probly 3/4 of the quote..

a guy I knew blew his stock clutch and they charge was around 1800 to have it replaced. And the clutch only cost a tad over 300.

Users who are viewing this thread