What helmet are you using?

Furrytractor

Established Member
Looking for a decent snell approved helmet for the drags coming up. Would prefer a full face, I always feel goofy wearing a half face helmet. Looking to stay around $150 range, but that could be used condition as well. First time my track has required me to wear a helmet, now that I actually own a car fast enough to require one :rockon::rockon:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Helmets are important, get a good one and NEVER buy a used one unless you can 100% verify that it's never been through an impact.

Helmet's have a life cycle and if you're racing, the vast majority of tracks will make you abide by it's useful life, which is traditionally 10 years or an impact, whichever is first.

SA2005 rated helmets would "technically" still be good for this upcoming season, but why spend money on a helmet that won't meet safety requirements next season?

Get yourself an automotive (SA) helmet with a full face and hans device anchors (in case you end up needing it). Do not purchase an "M" series helmet. Those are for motorcycles and will not protect you in case of fire.

I have the SA2005 version of this helmet. Pro Sport Full Face Duckbill White - Pyrotect

Obviously mine isn't sold any longer and it's at the end of it's life, so I'll replace it this year if I go racing.

It's a bit more than you're wanting to spend, but it's super comfortable, well priced and has everything you'll need for a decade of racing.

Furrytractor

Established Member
Helmets are important, get a good one and NEVER buy a used one unless you can 100% verify that it's never been through an impact.

Helmet's have a life cycle and if you're racing, the vast majority of tracks will make you abide by it's useful life, which is traditionally 10 years or an impact, whichever is first.

SA2005 rated helmets would "technically" still be good for this upcoming season, but why spend money on a helmet that won't meet safety requirements next season?

Get yourself an automotive (SA) helmet with a full face and hans device anchors (in case you end up needing it). Do not purchase an "M" series helmet. Those are for motorcycles and will not protect you in case of fire.

I have the SA2005 version of this helmet. Pro Sport Full Face Duckbill White - Pyrotect

Obviously mine isn't sold any longer and it's at the end of it's life, so I'll replace it this year if I go racing.

It's a bit more than you're wanting to spend, but it's super comfortable, well priced and has everything you'll need for a decade of racing.

Honestly that's not a bad price at all. I didn't realize they had a life cycle of 10 years. Would hate to buy one just to buy another at some point next year. As of now it's only to go to the drags, but I REALLY want to go to willow springs at some point and race, which I would like to be able to use the same helmet. Thanks for the info :beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My last one was a G-Force.

Most of the major brands have some decent priced helmets.
Pick one you like the look and cost of and go with it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Honestly that's not a bad price at all. I didn't realize they had a life cycle of 10 years. Would hate to buy one just to buy another at some point next year. As of now it's only to go to the drags, but I REALLY want to go to willow springs at some point and race, which I would like to be able to use the same helmet. Thanks for the info :beer:

Definitely pick up something SA2010 rated. If you don't have plans on competitive events, you probably don't need a helmet that has hans device provisions.

Drag strips can be pretty loosy goosy with helmet standards. An M2005 or SA2005 helmet that looks in good condition will probably pass for a while even after that certification has technically lapsed.

Road courses on the other hand are incredibly stringent with tech. Sanctioning bodies such as NASA, SCCA, Porsche Club etc require a serious amount of teching to run lapping and racing events with them. Not only do they go over your car in detail, they'll inspect your helmet and gear thoroughly as well. M series helmets are not allowed in those types of events due to the risk of fire in an enclosed cockpit.

Some sanctioning bodies will allow an M series if you're driving a convertible, but in a car it's still your best bet to go with the SA series helmets.

You may be able to find some cheaper helmets that meet those requirements if you do some searching. I went with the Pyrotect because it fit well and the price was right for what I wanted/needed.

I'll add that you need to actually try on the helmet, don't buy it online. Have somebody knowledgeable work with you on proper fitting. A helmet that is too small or too large is uncomfortable, can block vision and most importantly is not providing all the protection it should be.

Furrytractor

Established Member
I knew this was the place to post this. Thanks for all the good advice. I am sure there is a place here in town that will have helmets to try, just need to call around. Have you guys noticed if buying online is a better price? I thought maybe going and getting fitted, then buying online, but if the price is comparable I think I would support the local business

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I knew this was the place to post this. Thanks for all the good advice. I am sure there is a place here in town that will have helmets to try, just need to call around. Have you guys noticed if buying online is a better price? I thought maybe going and getting fitted, then buying online, but if the price is comparable I think I would support the local business

Probably depends on the shop and the location. The prices I've seen online vs local are fairly comparable when you factor in shipping and handling.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
No, too far for me. I'm in Bakersfield, only about 20 min from Famoso. I would really like to go in March, I believe its the 16th
Even then, Famoso is a MUCH better track, you also get a crap load of runs. A bit costly though, $100 I believe?
Yes, March 15th and 16th.

Furrytractor

Established Member
Even then, Famoso is a MUCH better track, you also get a crap load of runs. A bit costly though, $100 I believe?
Yes, March 15th and 16th.
You know, it's been 8 years since I have ran at famoso, so I really don't know how much it is. I use to go to the friday night test and tunes and it was $20, not sure how much it is for the all day test and tunes they have now like the one in march. Since it's been so long, and since I waited 11 years to own a terminator, I think I will probably be willing to fork over the dough to run

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a SA2005 Bell M4. So it is only good for one more year before I have to retire it.

Going in person to buy is key. I was all set on a Sparco helmet until I went to buy it. I went to SubeSports in Huntington Beach. They supply a lot of the open wheel and sports car racers. I walked in and asked to try on a Sparco and the worker said "you can't wear a Sparco, you have a fat face and wear glasses, try this Bell." I tried it on, it fit perfect, and was cheaper. The guy that worked there has years of experience fitting safety equipment so he knew what he was talking about. Also consider a nomex balaclava and nomex gloves at a minimum, face and hand burns are no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread