What I need for gear install?

94svt5.0

Established Member
Im getting ford racing 3:73 gears and I was wondering what all I need for the install. I know I need a new speedometer gear but, what about shims? spacers? anything else? Thanks

Ginsu

Established Member
Your kit should come complete with all shims needed. Unless you have access to a press and backlash measure and the skill you should find a good shop for the install.

94svt5.0

Established Member
Im taking it to a shop for install, but they said I need to bring all the parts that are needed. So when you buy the gears do they come with every thing you need ? or do you need to buy a kit?
thanks

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It is a bad idea to reuse any crush sleves or shims. The cost of replacing those parts when swapping a gear, far outweighs the cost or replacing the rearend if those 'used" items don't seat quite right. Each shim kit has a bunch of shims to get the setup right. If you reuse the old ones you don't have all that you might need, thus leaving the pinion gear out of place enough to break something. Spend the money to make sure it is done perfect the first time. Sometimes pinching pennies ends up pinching your wallet for a whole lot more in the long run.

Psychoholic

Established Member
I totally agree with GR8WHITE on that.

I was just saying that you could reuse the shims because you aren't changing the location of the carrier.

One very important note. And I can honestly speak from volumes of experience on this one. Don't let an idiot do the work. Spend the extra few bucks and have someone reputable do it for you. I have a couple of thousand dollars in the rear end of my car, and I don't have anything fancy. If someone says they'll stand behind it, GET THAT BITCH IN WRITING! I just let the wrong idiots work on my car and it has cost me 4 times now. (axles and carriers get expensive when you have to keep buying them).

(and no it wasn't because of the reuse of stock shims, very little has gotten to be reused in my rear end from build to build)

Chris (Psychoholic)

TcM-668

IF you get the Motorsport gears, you'll get a new pinon nut and crush sleeve, along with the gears.

Theoretically, you can just drop it in; however, to do it right, you'll need a shim kit.

Ratech makes a rebuild kit that has everything you need to rework the rearend. New shims, crush sleeve, gasket, and bearings and are available from Summit Racing among other places. Keep in mind the Ratech kits do NOT include parts for the Traction-Lok(I did not know that when I ordered mine). FRPP has the clutch/shim kit for the Traction-Lok and it would be a good thing to do that while everything is apart too. It adds a couple hundred bucks to the install, but it would be best to do it right the first time.

I would also inquire if they have the appropriate tools to do the work. If they just drop them in and go, then you may encounter problems(gear whine, breakage, etc). I have been looking around for someone that has the correct pinion tool that can do the work correctly. The correct tool is around $ 600.

Check on some of the sites like Corral.Net, 5.0 mustangs, Muscle mustangs, etc. They have articles that tell you how to do it, and what it takes. It will give you an idea if the guys that are to do the work are being straight with you. If you feel froggy, you might want to take a stab yourself !! I have not found the guts to do it yet myself...I had Kenny Brown do the 4.10 install in the IRS on the Cobra while they had my IRS apart for rework.

Just my $ .02 worth...

Don
00 R # 152
93 GT Conv
93 LX Coupe
92 Honda Accord EX Wagon
89 Isuzu Imark Hatch SunSport

Users who are viewing this thread